delay by a couple of seconds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > delay by a couple of seconds

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 06-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
cryptic3

delay by a couple of seconds

This morning getting ready to go to work I started my jeep and it cranked but cranked a couple if seconds longer to get the car started... Could this be the starter going out?

cryptic3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Good chance of it. Just be glad it's an easy 20 minute fix to swap a new one.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Check the battery too. Also low pressure in the fuel line can cause long starts.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

If the cranking sounded normal, it probably isn't the starter. Try cracking the throttle while cranking, see if that makes a difference. Might be Idle Air Control valve (IAC)
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Martin600
1997 ZJ 

I'd place my bets on low fuel pressure, if it still cranks as normal. Easy check for that is to cycle your ignition (switching it on and off) a few times before cranking from cold or first thing in the morning. if it fires right up that's likely to be the problem.

I just live with it

I'm new on this forum, but from what I've gathered the fuel pumps and regulators aren't great.
Martin600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
cryptic3

OK so I tried throttling while cranking and it started right away and revved ..... I'm going to try the switching the ignition on and off a few times tomorrow morning and see if that does anything.... This all great information and tips guys thank you
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Might be a failing fuel pressure regulator.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
cryptic3

OK tried switching the ignition on and off without crank like 4 times then when I cranked it didn't give me a delay...
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
dellis
1998 ZJ 

bigbill888 is correct about the starter ... if it is cranking normally, but not turning over, then this is not your starter.

Everything at this point is indicating a fuel problem (clogged filter, failing pump, etc). Still, you should put a fuel pressure gauge on your rail and check the pressure (prior to starting, at idle, and while revving) and see behavior.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
cryptic3

So this morning when I was about to move my jeep from the driveway there it was .... My battery was dead it has been delaying since I first posted... So I guess it was the battery
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Mine started the same thing, presently running a test in bigbills advice. Kinda pointing to the IAC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.