Defrost not working, blowing out vents instead - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Defrost not working, blowing out vents instead

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 11-27-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
mattadams

Defrost not working, blowing out vents instead

This is my first post, please be gentle . I wasn't able to use the search feature, I guess because it is broken.
My girlfriend has a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee. This morning it got fairly cold, around 20 degrees, and the defrost wouldn't work at all. Even once the vehicle heated up it was just blowing cold air out the vents and nothing was coming out of defroster. I drove it to work since I only have to drive 5 miles to work, and had to pull over several times to scrape the windshield, even then it was still a pretty foggy drive.
I tried setting it to reciculate, a/c on just to see if that might get it back in its grind... its like it ignored most of anything I was doing on the controls... if it was off, it was off, but anything else just equaled cold air out the front vents. It doesn't have the slide-style heater selection thing so it sh ouldn't be anything with a cable or anything, it has the electronic, dual temperature zone setups.

A bit of history, it has worked pretty reliably up until now, though two summers we did have an issue with it where it was blowing out hot air even if we set it to a/c... any help before we take it to a shop? I'm super comfortable working on my Ford F-150 but this Grand CHerokee is a bit of an enigma to me.

mattadams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Let's see...

#1 Welcome on!! Glad you're here.
#2 Go here...wjjeeps.com and click this link or search for blend doors on that site http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac_sub_assembly.htm
#3 Dress warm tomorrow.
#4 Save some $ or go after it yourself.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 09:32 AM   #3
mattadams

Thanks for the response! Any idea how much this type of job would run from a dealer?
mattadams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #4
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Nope. However, at about $75 an hour and 8 hours of labor (plus parts) you can get an idea.

You caould also probably call them. They'll be familiar with the work that needs to happen as about every "Limited" owner has had the issue and I'm guessing they've probably done 10 a month for the past year.

There are write ups and tricks that you can follow to save big money on this repair though. Google the terms and you'll find some. These threads, (going back a couple of months) will also make reference to a link describing a shortcut on going through (the removed) glove box with a Dremel tool and fixing it in 45 mins or so.

I sure love my Laredo right now....
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Unread 11-27-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
veso_Ht

i guess it's time to search for the short cut... wish the search worked... what's up with it?
veso_Ht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Here is one write up...

There is a shortcut to getting to these doors and seeing if they work. It's sort of the half A** way of doing thing but it will save you about 7 hours of labor and about $1200 in cost. Solution... open the glove box and with a screwdrive pry the glove box all the way down. You will see directly behing there the black housing to the blens doors. With any type of Roto Zip wheel you will want to cut the opening of the housing then revealing the Blens doors. You may then R&R them as needed. P.S. Prior to cutting check the actuator located there before you cut. It is a triangular piece about the size of small cell phone with 3 screws. This piece should be turning as you increase or decrease the heat. If you have the money bring it into a Jeep Dealership or respected mechanic. If not, this is the easy way of doing it. Good Luck!!!!!!!

I'll see if I can find more.
Unread 11-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #7
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Well, the search works if you are a paying member. Admin disabled it to non-paying because of server stress.

Now, I will repost the link from above http://www.wjjeeps.com/hvac_blend_remove.htm

If you're gonna do it, do it right. Follow these directions or splurge the $1000 or so at the dealer.

Just my .02

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2006, 12:33 PM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

I found the post I added a few months ago that referred to cutting an access hole to repair the blend door without having to remove the dash.

It was a link over on jeepsunlimited but has since been archived. I'm not a member there so google does not give it and I cannot search there.

Here ya go, the long way...... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/no-heat-dreaded-blend-door-341518/
Unread 11-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
veso_Ht

i started taking the dash off today.. no hurry since my mom is out of town... while i'm at it i'll be fixing my heated seat as well...
veso_Ht is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.