The Definitive Injector Swap HOW TO - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Definitive Injector Swap HOW TO

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #91
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyb123
If I wanted to get new injectors from let's say AutoZone what would I tell the guy at the counter I called them this afternoon and the guy on the phone was oblivious
Use the full model number found in the original post...just give him the number and don't confuse him by telling him it's for your jeep. If he asks just say you are sure its that model number

zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #92
nickszj
1998 ZJ 

So can someone verify if this works for the 5.9 or not? And which injectors to use? I have mine out to change the intake and I'd rather swap the injectors now if it makes sense.

Looking for the right WJ to build into an expedition rig....
nickszj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #93
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla_janus View Post
My 2 cents.
I decided to burn e85 in the V8. Good or bad idea, that is not the question here.
With origin injectors, it seemed to me that the engine was running poor when putting the right pedal down.
I've read somewhere that you need 30% e85 more than gaz for the same energy.

So I put 30% bigger injectors, Ford Racing red one.
Wow, then engine runs very fine at all speeds.
But, it was too rich when burning gaz.
One day, I found an inexpensive air intake. Magic ! the engine was not rich anymore.

The ZJ PCM is GREAT. It allows a lot of changes in the input chain. You can test new injectors with no fear: they will work !
(I am not mechanic, just a guy who tries, make mistakes and sometime is lucky !)
DO NOT RUN E85 ON VEHICLES ITS NOT MEANT FOR

The e85 will eat at all the o rings and seals it moves through. Not to mention the incorrect input at senors to the comp. It might run fine now, but not for long.
Unread 03-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #94
augiedoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickszj View Post
So can someone verify if this works for the 5.9 or not? And which injectors to use? I have mine out to change the intake and I'd rather swap the injectors now if it makes sense.
I can tell you they would not work in my 96 5.9l dodge ram...it ran way too rich and fouled out my plugs and 02 sensors...I have switched back to stock and everything is running great now.... No one here seems to know if the 96-99 jeeps use the same pcm program and 49psi fuel pump as the 96-99 dodges do...they say they work great for the 95 and older models but those used totally different obd1 computers and different fuel pressure... as far as the doges go all the 95 and older magnums used DIFFERENT injectors than the 96 up... the first page of this thread says that jeep was using the 778 injectors right from the start which has me totally confused ..especially since the fuel pressure changed in 96 and altered the flow 15%..
I may throw some of them in the 4.0 wrangler..

Last edited by augiedoggy; 03-24-2012 at 12:22 PM..
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #95
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

2015 KL Cherokee 

If someone can look at their post 96 v8 injectors I would like to correct my model numbers, I was under the Impression they all had the same injectors. Ill figure out the pressure ratings and such as compared to the 703's
Unread 03-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #96
augiedoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
If someone can look at their post 96 v8 injectors I would like to correct my model numbers, I was under the Impression they all had the same injectors. Ill figure out the pressure ratings and such as compared to the 703's
I can varify that the 96-99 rams had the Siemens Deka "778" injectors with 49psi ... but the 94-95 rams did not they had different injectors and 39psi to go with them...thats what makes all this so confusing... I guess the 96-99 jeep could very well handle the injector flow differently than the dodges do?
as you can see here the flow changes quite a bit with different pressure...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/fiflowcalc.html
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #97
nickszj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
I can varify that the 96-99 rams had the Siemens Deka "778" injectors with 49psi ... but the 94-95 rams did not they had different injectors and 39psi to go with them...thats what makes all this so confusing... I guess the 96-99 jeep could very well handle the injector flow differently than the dodges do?
as you can see here the flow changes quite a bit with different pressure...
http://www.csgnetwork.com/fiflowcalc.html
I just pulled mine and I have the 778 injectors... I am not sure what to make of this... Can I use the 703 or 715 injectors??

Looking for the right WJ to build into an expedition rig....
nickszj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #98
augiedoggy

Quote:
I just pulled mine and I have the 778 injectors... I am not sure what to make of this... Can I use the 703 or 715 injectors??
try them, Theres another guy on here with a willies avatar that used them on a 98 jeep with a 5.2 or 5.9 I cant remember, I thought they would work for me... It doesnt make much sense that they didnt but they made all the cylinders run rich... I reset the pcm multiple times and drove it for short drives and it still idled at -33.6 on the fuel trim which showed the pcm was leaning it out as much as it could. and smoked a bit. I wouldnt use the 715's they flow a lot higher in fuel.
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:19 PM   #99
LongArmZJ
1996 ZJ 

I found someone selling:

"6 Ford 24lbs hr fuel injectors. Blue tops as they are known"

thats what his add said anyways... Does anyone know what he is talking about and would thease be an upgrade for my I6?
96 ZJ 132k miles - 5.5" IRO long arm lift kit, IRO adjustable track bar, IRO extended SS brake lines, 33 12.50 15 GoodYear Wrangler MT/Rs W/Kevlar, 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, Durango steering box, IRO OTK steering, RLC Front winch bumper. Awaiting install: JKS BPEs, XRC8 Winch
LongArmZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:57 PM   #100
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

2015 KL Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongArmZJ View Post
I found someone selling:

"6 Ford 24lbs hr fuel injectors. Blue tops as they are known"

thats what his add said anyways... Does anyone know what he is talking about and would thease be an upgrade for my I6?
That would be the 715s in the OP. They work fine, higher fuel flow than stock
Unread 03-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #101
LongArmZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Sweet! they were flow matched and tested apperently and he only wants 50 bucks for them so I might go get them tomorrow...
96 ZJ 132k miles - 5.5" IRO long arm lift kit, IRO adjustable track bar, IRO extended SS brake lines, 33 12.50 15 GoodYear Wrangler MT/Rs W/Kevlar, 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, Durango steering box, IRO OTK steering, RLC Front winch bumper. Awaiting install: JKS BPEs, XRC8 Winch
LongArmZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #102
AcidAnton
Czech OffRoader

2005 WK 

Quote:
Yea I would love to know as well.. We run on Premium gas so I dont know if the injector has a impact on that
Silver WK Club Member #88
HEMI Club Member #80
AcidAnton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #103
augiedoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidAnton View Post
Yea I would love to know as well.. We run on Premium gas so I dont know if the injector has a impact on that
No, premium gas has no effect on anything unless your running a higher than normal compression ratio... otherwise the only difference is a lighter wallet... Its almost always not really "premium" gas ...just a higher octane for higher compression ratios... If you dont have a higher compression ratio or radical time changes, your vehicle will use just as much and get no benefits from it at all unless its detergent fuel... Many people are mislead by the "premium" label

Last edited by augiedoggy; 03-26-2012 at 07:23 AM..
Unread 03-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #104
augiedoggy

Quote:
They dont work well on the dodge trucks without reprogramming. I bet those running them here are running super rich on warmup... Has anyone here ran their truck on a scanner or wideband to look and fuel trim levels and air/fuel ratios? The guys running them on the dodgeforum had to have sean at hemifever (SCT) trim the fuel levels waaay back because those injectors run so rich and those were on engines modded for better airflow.... They certainly dont help gas mileage.
The trucks computer can compensate for up to plus or minus 30% of the fuel tables... the problem is the truck runs off preprogrammed air / fuel tables until it goes closed loop after warm up.... until then your flooding your truck with way too much feul each time you start it because its programmed for the 22lb injectors and this wont help It can hurt by washing your cylinder walls with too much fuel and carbon up you cat converter and 02 sensors in short order... I had issues with the 703 injectors running soo rich it dumped over a quart of fuel into my oil... I cant explain why since the 703's should work but I have been researching this for months now and read a lot or threads on people using the bluetop ford 24lb injectors and most said they either went back or took additional steps to trim back the fuel trim. 19lbs injectors are supposed to be enough to support a 350hp v8... keep that in mind. even with the pcm trimming back as much fuel as possible those 715's are likely going to be running rich. They will be flowing at like 262 cc's instead of the 248cc the stock injectors flow at 49psi... more fuel flow hardly saves fuel or improves mileage

Remember the stock injectors are only flowing at like 80% of their capacity in a stock setup.... you dont want bigger unless you have a supercharger or turbo... you do want the better gen 3 4 hole spray pattern.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 03-26-2012 at 09:48 AM..
Unread 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #105
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

But can I use the 700's I got? Pulled them from a T-bird that was listed as a donor.
Currently hunting a 99 intake.
V65Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
703 , 715 , ford , fuel injector , neon , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.