The Definitive Injector Swap HOW TO - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Definitive Injector Swap HOW TO

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #376
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
I'm guessing you mean 703s? As far as I know, only the cars listed contain 703s
yea i meant 703 sorry. Alright thanks.

xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #377
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

So I got the flow matched reman 703 injectors from ebay, very quick shipping and very nicely packaged.

Some observations:

When I pulled the old factory ones out of the jeep, I noticed a TON of gunk on each of the injector ports, just seemed like a bunch of varnish all over the port and inside. I cleaned it all out. Installation was a snap, Ive done it a bunch of times before so no big deal.

I previously had the WJ injectors with the LH car FPR, (I had switched back to the original factory injectors with the LH FPR for smogging purposes) which runs at 41-49 psi on the older jeeps. So I put the 703's in, started it up and it must have been too rich because it was running like absolute crap, I mean almost stalling out. The exhaust smelled pig rich and I couldnt really even rev it.

So I took off the LH FPR and put on the stock FPR which lowered the pressure to 31-39psi... It started right up, and idles SUPER SMOOTH now!! Seems to be eager to rev, idles a bit higher now and I barely have to touch the accelerator to start out, feels way more torquey and on the fwy all I need is a tiny millimeter of throttle input to cruise. At WOT it seems to pull very nicely after 2500 rpm (still have a flat spot from 1800 to 2500 rpm) but after that it's nicely powered.

All in all seems like a very worthy upgrade, but if you're running a higher fuel pressure it will be way too rich.
tetatdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #378
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Interesting observations. On 96-98 models, plenty of people have run the 703's at the higher pressure without a problem. Some have noticed a rich smell at WOT, but I haven't read of any running rich at idle. Not an expert at all, just wondering why the difference.
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #379
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman
Interesting observations. On 96-98 models, plenty of people have run the 703's at the higher pressure without a problem. Some have noticed a rich smell at WOT, but I haven't read of any running rich at idle. Not an expert at all, just wondering why the difference.
93-95 ran at 39psi 96-98 ran at 49... Perhaps difference in the computer?
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 01:31 AM   #380
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

When I first installed the 703's on my 96 4.0 with 49psi it ran like crap, too rich, and idle going up/down with it all over the board. In disconnecting the neg battery cable to reset the PCM it made no difference. Was pretty disappointed and thought I made a mistake.

Then someone told me to drive it for a while to see if it will adjust. Great tip and within a week everything was running real smooth with a little more power to boot. Not sure why it took 50-100 miles to adjust but it did and now I'm real happy with them. The 703's sure seem to click a lot louder than the OE's but if it's running good I don't mind.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #381
tetatdo
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
When I first installed the 703's on my 96 4.0 with 49psi it ran like crap, too rich, and idle going up/down with it all over the board. In disconnecting the neg battery cable to reset the PCM it made no difference. Was pretty disappointed and thought I made a mistake.

Then someone told me to drive it for a while to see if it will adjust. Great tip and within a week everything was running real smooth with a little more power to boot. Not sure why it took 50-100 miles to adjust but it did and now I'm real happy with them. The 703's sure seem to click a lot louder than the OE's but if it's running good I don't mind.
Yeah I dont think the OBDI jeeps will adjust like that... I could barely get it out of the driveway... Runs great at the lower pressure though
tetatdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #382
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetatdo View Post
Yeah I dont think the OBDI jeeps will adjust like that... I could barely get it out of the driveway... Runs great at the lower pressure though
Yeah, kind of hard to understand the OBDI ECU/ECM vs OBDII PCM's and don't know if the later models are better at learning or what's going on? I had read it's best to drive over 50mph for a while when 1st installing the 703's and believe that's what helped everything come into sync on my 96 4.0 49psi.

Unread 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #383
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

I wouldn't let it run rich for too long, its not just set it and forget it. I worry about the cat. I actually like torchd's set up on the exhaust just gotta find a wizard in my town.
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:25 AM   #384
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

While maybe "it's not a set and forget" situation I don't know what you can do if it's running too rich as first with 703's since there's no adjusting? And I wasn't about to put my OE 195K mile injectors back in when they're bleeding off/leaking while causing missing.

But I'd have to agree coralman and I also worry about my cat which is only about a year old. I just hope I didn't partially clog it when I had a bad intake leak for a very short time before I fixed it.

Unread 03-02-2013, 05:46 AM   #385
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

I was just thinking out loud. My exhaust is junk, so most likely I will wait to replace it until after the swap.
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #386
torchd
1998 ZJ 

I still haven't been added to the list lol.

I have the new 4.0 manifold, 703 injectors and a header. Jeep runs perfect

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

[b][color=red]2002 Trans Am[/b][/color]
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
[b]420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ[/b]
torchd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #387
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Torchd, I need some good pics of your front pipe, including where it attaches to the header, so I can say"see like this" to the exhaust dudes.
Unread 03-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #388
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

So me having a 94 the 703's probably won't work then?
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #389
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
So me having a 94 the 703's probably won't work then?
Not necessarily true since if you look back at the first post in this thread (towards the middle) it's confirmed for some users the 703's work for 93-95 with the 39psi system. In fact that's what zander21510 w/95 4.0 who created this thread is running.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...p-how-1305456/

Unread 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #390
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Not necessarily true since if you look back at the first post in this thread (towards the middle) it's confirmed for some users the 703's work for 93-95 with the 39psi system. In fact that's what zander21510 w/95 4.0 who created this thread is running.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...p-how-1305456/
Yay so there is still some hope left lol.

Tags
703 , 715 , ford , fuel injector , neon , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.