The Definitive Injector Swap HOW TO - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > The Definitive Injector Swap HOW TO

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #211
augiedoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickszj View Post
I bought mine 'new' on ebay... meaning they had never been used...

I have at least 400-500 miles on mine and they have been perfect since day one.. never a rich condition and never a ping due to a lean condition (actually never a ping at all after installing these and the intake.)

My take is that it isnt luck at all... you cant come onto a Jeep forum and tell everyone that different injectors doesnt work because it doesnt work on your dodge truck.. I am on a Jeep forum, telling everytone that I have tried it on my Jeep 5.9 and the 703 injectors work perfectly.

Sorry if I sound hostile toward you Augie but you caused me a lot of lost time and grief reading your posts explaining why it doesnt work, and how indignant you got in your posts when people suggested you were wrong..
its not a jeep vs dodge thing...they are the same engine with the same same stock injectors from year to year which changed at the same time and are controlled the same way..by a Chrysler computer...

I already stated that the injectors I bought could have had some defect like the OTHERS who posted and had the same results as me, who BTW tried them in their JEEPs...
I asked for some sort of proof that they worked in the newer OBD2 controlled magnum engine as everyone who said they did either had a 4.0 or an older OBD1 mangum with totally different fuel pressure and flow rates..and different stock injectors. since the intital information on this thread was wrong and assumed all magnums shipped with the 22lb siemans deke "778" injector it wasnt toatlly off the wall to assume that there might not have been actual testing done on the OBD2 controlled magnum engines.. I took a leap of faith and tried them and had bad results.. And I wasnt the only one here with those results so...

You are the first person to actually confirm they are working end even now you have likely have no idea of how well since you have not had your vehicle on a scanner to see whats actually going on as I did.... Do you honestly think Chrysler would go through all that trouble to design two different computers that really work differently to do the same thing on the same hardware?

and BTW these injectors startout at about $40 a piece new..... did you buy them from TRE? because those and all the other "matched flow" sets of 8 on ebay are REMANUFACTURERED... just like the ones I bought... they sell them as new "performance" injectors but if you read the fine print you will see they are not new from bosch... and depending on whats done to them when they are remanufactuered they can in fact flow differently...thats one of the reasons they are paired up in matched sets because of these differences...

I'm sorry if my overflow of information confused you and made life complicated for you...

augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #212
augiedoggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebian View Post
I had a similar experience as Augie (I used the 703 injectors), but this was in my 95 Jeep GC 5.2L. During both open and closed loop, I was running extremely rich. I have since pulled my plugs, and none of them were fouled out, so I can be pretty sure that there was no leaky injector. I still need to get to Lowes to get some hose to make sure the injectors are not leaking, but at this point I am pretty certain the 703 injectors were dumping just too much fuel for the motor to handle, and the PCM to compensate for.

Also, not sure how much it matters, but I do have the Mopar Performace PCM installed in my rig. Maybe it is managing the fuel tables differently than the stock PCM. Or another possibility might be that the 95 Jeep PCM in general can't handle the 703 injector flow. I know that there are differences between the 93-94 PCM and the 95 PCM, but not sure what they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebian View Post
I just tried the 703 injector swap in my 95 V8. All I got for my efforts was a massive cloud of white smoke.

I am guessing that I got a leaky injector or two, and they just dumped fuel into the combustion chamber. No external leaks or anything, and I did ohm them out prior to installing them. All were just a hair over 12 ohm. Put the old injectors back in, and within about 10 minutes the Jeep cleared back up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickszj View Post
I bought mine 'new' on ebay... meaning they had never been used...

I have at least 400-500 miles on mine and they have been perfect since day one.. never a rich condition and never a ping due to a lean condition (actually never a ping at all after installing these and the intake.)

My take is that it isnt luck at all... you cant come onto a Jeep forum and tell everyone that different injectors doesnt work because it doesnt work on your dodge truck.. I am on a Jeep forum, telling everytone that I have tried it on my Jeep 5.9 and the 703 injectors work perfectly.

Sorry if I sound hostile toward you Augie but you caused me a lot of lost time and grief reading your posts explaining why it doesnt work, and how indignant you got in your posts when people suggested you were wrong..
I guess these guys are wrong and wasted your time too...
The fact of the matter is its very possible we all got bad injectors.... but I asked here to find someone with a 96 or newer OBD2 pcm running those to confirm they work well which you did. So now I Have some recourse of action to take with the company that sold me them...

And I have a jeep..currently a 99 TJ ..I also have had many of them in the past..wranglers and CJ.. AMC and Chrysler... It really doenst matter what the logo says on the side... if we are comparing apples to apples then its a silly argument to bring up... as time goes on there will be less and less differences between the two as Chrysler continues to phase out all the AMC/jeep engineering with their own one size fits all platforms like they did when they retired the AMC 4.0.... . Ram, Jeep they are all more just marketing now than ever before I'm sorry to say...

UPDATE***
I just tested all 8 of these injectors for leaks with a piece of hose and gumout and found I do in fact have a leaky one.... this would explain how all the gas got into my oil.... although its odd that I didnt have one plug that was darker than the others as they all seemed dark.
I contacted the seller and he is going to send me replacements.So I will be giving the 703's another try.... I'd rather use them since they are 12ohm rather than the 16 ohm ones I'm using now...
augiedoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #213
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

U mad bro?
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #214
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Lets just relax...this is a discussion every post contributes to making the original post more complete. I appreciate both of your contributions, augiedoggy made us all look at the possibility of problems with the magnum engines and I was able to improve the OP immensely from data he and others provided, along with ideas he presented.

Not to say you didn't help nickszj, being the only reported success with the 5.9 makes you a valuable contributor too! I think a lot of guys looking at this will be able to confidently do the swap to their 5.9 thanks to you.

Relax guys...we're all buddies here. Even if somebody owns a Dodge truck...
My ZJ Injector Swap HowTo
zander21510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #215
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

I was cleaning up around the shop the other day and found a set of injectors left over from an engine swap in an Explorer...

The numbers are 0280155735, they are completely red, 4 hole design. I can't find much information on these injectors. According to the Bosch injector chart, they only flow 18.25 lbs at 42.5 PSI... but I found a conflicting source saying they actually flow that much at 32 PSI. I'm thinking about throwing them into my ZJ, if anyone else can find some more information on them I'd appreciate it.
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #216
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Witchunter says 21.5 lb/hr at 43.5; 20.4 lb/hr at 39psi in your ZJ. They should work, only a bit lower flow than 703s. Id say its close enough to try though.
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #217
nickszj
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
its not a jeep vs dodge thing...they are the same engine with the same same stock injectors from year to year which changed at the same time and are controlled the same way..by a Chrysler computer...

I already stated that the injectors I bought could have had some defect like the OTHERS who posted and had the same results as me, who BTW tried them in their JEEPs...
I asked for some sort of proof that they worked in the newer OBD2 controlled magnum engine as everyone who said they did either had a 4.0 or an older OBD1 mangum with totally different fuel pressure and flow rates..and different stock injectors. since the intital information on this thread was wrong and assumed all magnums shipped with the 22lb siemans deke "778" injector it wasnt toatlly off the wall to assume that there might not have been actual testing done on the OBD2 controlled magnum engines.. I took a leap of faith and tried them and had bad results.. And I wasnt the only one here with those results so...

You are the first person to actually confirm they are working end even now you have likely have no idea of how well since you have not had your vehicle on a scanner to see whats actually going on as I did.... Do you honestly think Chrysler would go through all that trouble to design two different computers that really work differently to do the same thing on the same hardware?

and BTW these injectors startout at about $40 a piece new..... did you buy them from TRE? because those and all the other "matched flow" sets of 8 on ebay are REMANUFACTURERED... just like the ones I bought... they sell them as new "performance" injectors but if you read the fine print you will see they are not new from bosch... and depending on whats done to them when they are remanufactuered they can in fact flow differently...thats one of the reasons they are paired up in matched sets because of these differences...

I'm sorry if my overflow of information confused you and made life complicated for you...

Augie - My problem with you is that you make assumptions and preach those assumptions on here like they are gospel... just like your second to last paragragh.... you act like you are the authority on injectors... I bought brand new, never used Bosch 703 injectors for $24.99 each... they are NOT REMANUFACTURED, they are brand new... straight from Chrysler.

Further, you assume Chrysler wouldn't design two computers to run the same engine... very bad assumption.... look at the two vehicles they are installed in... very, very different. Check your load and tow rating on your Dodge truck... just a tad more than a 5.9 JGC right? I am sure that has a lot to do with the way the 5.9 is designed to perform in your truck versus a very fast, luxury SUV.

Why people have had problems? I have no idea... my sense with most forums is that people 'think' they know what thery are doing, when in reality they dont, but they like to come on boards like this and preach how something doesnt work becasue they couldnt get it to work for them...

Looking for the right WJ to build into an expedition rig....
nickszj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #218
zturn13
1998 ZJ 

so if i understand everything all i have to do is buy these http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-Upgrade...#ht_3145wt_986 and just slip them on my 98 5.2 v8 jeep gc limited right? i saw one listing and they said i needed to buy some clips but i don't do i?

Last edited by zturn13; 04-27-2012 at 03:36 PM..
zturn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #219
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
Do you honestly think Chrysler would go through all that trouble to design two different computers that really work differently to do the same thing on the same hardware?
If you're talking about the 5.9, the Jeep and Dodge computers were significantly different. The Jeep 5.9 computer was tuned for aggressive spark timing, requiring the use of premium gas. If I'm not mistaken, the stock Jeep 5.9 PCM was similar to the Mopar Performance version of the Dodge PCM.
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:37 AM   #220
xbeakerx
1998 ZJ 

I don't know if this question has been asked or I just skipped over it.

Has anyone done the 99+ intake and done the 703 injector swap in a 4.0L I6 98 ZJ? Was there an issues? Was it worth it? Is there a better injector than the 703? Thanks
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #221
Proph2010
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeakerx
I don't know if this question has been asked or I just skipped over it.

Has anyone done the 99+ intake and done the 703 injector swap in a 4.0L I6 98 ZJ? Was there an issues? Was it worth it? Is there a better injector than the 703? Thanks
I think based on the info in this thread that is the best setup for your motor, in terms of you intake manifold and injector selection.
Proph2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #222
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

FWIW I installed those Explorer injectors... It seems to run much better and the slight off idle hesitation is gone. It's hard to tell if it runs smoother because I replaced the motor mounts at the same time. I pulled a trailer 200 miles round trip without overdrive and averaged 12.5 mpg at 60-65 mph, which really isn't bad.
Unread 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #223
xbeakerx
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proph2010

I think based on the info in this thread that is the best setup for your motor, in terms of you intake manifold and injector selection.
Thank you, I just wanted to make sure before I buy the items and found out that there was a better setup.
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:32 PM   #224
soopaghetto
1993 ZJ 

I just did the 710 injector swap on my 93 5.2. Pulled them from a 4.6L V8 thunderbird

Everything went smoothly. Engine idles a tad lower but i like it; low rpm = less fuel used. seems like better throttle response as i used to apply more force on the skinny. Acceleration seems better. Since i just did it today, i dont know about MPG yet, but as soon as i started to drive it, the overhead started to climb above normal for me...

I have a pic for comparison. The o-ring positioning are at same length from top/bottom.

I am not sure on everthing as i just finished 1 hr ago. I know right now things could be placebo and since im running 39psi and the injectors only flow .5 lb more than stock, i dont foresee too much gain.

Mods:

2.5" cat back w/turn down before rear axel
50 mm bored throttle body
generic "CAI"
soopaghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #225
zander21510
Lord of Retro Machines

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
FWIW I installed those Explorer injectors... It seems to run much better and the slight off idle hesitation is gone. It's hard to tell if it runs smoother because I replaced the motor mounts at the same time. I pulled a trailer 200 miles round trip without overdrive and averaged 12.5 mpg at 60-65 mph, which really isn't bad.
Would those be the 710s or 715s?

Tags
703 , 715 , ford , fuel injector , neon , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.