The Definitive Injector Swap HOW TO - Page 14 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #196 of 675 Old 04-20-2012, 06:03 PM
KennzX
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pflugerville-Hutto-Austin, TX
Posts: 230
Sorry typo


Jeep, The dirtiest of the four-letter words
Not stuck; temporarily detained
KennzX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #197 of 675 Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 PM
CatSplat
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,404
It depends. If it has the Jetronic connector, yes. If it has the USCAR connector, no. Should be pretty easy to tell if it has the same plug as your Jeep.

1994 5.9L ZJ, retrofitted UC package, NP242 swap, 17" JK Moabs with 32" BFG MT KM's.
The Jeep of Theseus
CatSplat is offline  
post #198 of 675 Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM
johnt671
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sugarloaf
Posts: 96
I did this upgrade on my 98 4.0 last week. I recorded the MPG for the last 6 tanks before the swap, and once I go a few tanks I'll post my results.
johnt671 is offline  
post #199 of 675 Old 04-21-2012, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
zander21510
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,138
OK So I've gone through the thread and gathered success and failure stories and I've compiled them together. I'll update the OP as well with this. 703s seem to be the clear winner here, 715s have been concluded to be too rich for our engines, and another model, the 710 seems to have had success with the magnum engines.

OK: success with 1-2 users
CONFIRMED: more than 2 users have success

93-95 4.0 w/703s: CONFIRMED (zander21510, 93zjbums, ahoyt653)
96-98 4.0 w/703s: CONFIRMED (MaintMech, melk, moggie99, johnt671)
93-94 5.2 w/710s: OK (General_Jeep)
1995 5.2 w/ 703s: OK (extrememarine)
96-98 5.2 w/703s: OK (1SASjeepster)
1998 5.9 w/ 703s: OK (nickszj)

Now I've come to the conclusion, and it seems to be the root of most problems have been leaky injectors. I'm guessing from sitting in the junkyard unused exposed to the elements makes these injectors highly prone to decay. Further back in the post, extrememarine posted his simplistic method of checking for leaks on his injectors I think most of us should be able to do if there are problems:

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrememarine View Post
I had very similar experience when I first installed the 703's. I did not take the time to rig up a way to pressure test them. I had 3 that were dumping fuel; I found this by taking a clear piece of tubing and a children's cough syrup syringe and made a tester. I put some carb cleaner in the tubing, slide it on the injector, and pushed the plunger down to pressurize the fluid. Sure enough, droplets would form on the motor side of the injector. Swapped those three out and all was fine the second go round.
And just for augiedoggy, who has provided a wealth of information for us I will note that he has been successful with the 712 injector in his 96 5.9, proving that the theory behind the swap also applies to the Dodge Ram.

I have update the OP and edit notes for the 715, seeing as it obviously flows far too rich for engines outside the 95 5.2, I believe it is the best fit for that year seeing as the flow closely matches that of stock in 1995, though there has been success of the 703 in the 95 5.2. and I have the 710 at 18.94lb/hr@39psi; I will add them to the post as the best fit for the 93-94 5.2.
zander21510 is offline  
post #200 of 675 Old 04-21-2012, 02:28 PM
torchd
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by zander21510 View Post
OK So I've gone through the thread and gathered success and failure stories and I've compiled them together. I'll update the OP as well with this. 703s seem to be the clear winner here, 715s have been concluded to be too rich for our engines, and another model, the 710 seems to have had success with the magnum engines.

OK: success with 1-2 users
CONFIRMED: more than 2 users have success

93-95 4.0 w/703s: CONFIRMED (zander21510, 93zjbums, ahoyt653)
96-98 4.0 w/703s: CONFIRMED (MaintMech, melk, moggie99, johnt671)
93-94 5.2 w/710s: OK (General_Jeep)
1995 5.2 w/ 703s: OK (extrememarine)
96-98 5.2 w/703s: OK (1SASjeepster)
1998 5.9 w/ 703s: OK (nickszj)

Now I've come to the conclusion, and it seems to be the root of most problems have been leaky injectors. I'm guessing from sitting in the junkyard unused exposed to the elements makes these injectors highly prone to decay. Further back in the post, extrememarine posted his simplistic method of checking for leaks on his injectors I think most of us should be able to do if there are problems:



And just for augiedoggy, who has provided a wealth of information for us I will note that he has been successful with the 712 injector in his 96 5.9, proving that the theory behind the swap also applies to the Dodge Ram.

I have update the OP and edit notes for the 715, seeing as it obviously flows far too rich for engines outside the 95 5.2, I believe it is the best fit for that year seeing as the flow closely matches that of stock in 1995, though there has been success of the 703 in the 95 5.2. and I have the 710 at 18.94lb/hr@39psi; I will add them to the post as the best fit for the 93-94 5.2.
Hence why I paid a little more money for Wayne's time and efforts bc of what he did. Thanks again Wayne!!!

Side note.. I still have my 99 intakt and 703 injectors that I need to install. I need to find a TJ header so I can build my exhaust.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
2" BB Pucks | SkyJacker Hydro Shocks | Rubicon Wheels | Cooper 245/75/16 Tires

2002 Trans Am
Cam, Full Exhaust, Stock Heads, Stock LS6 Intake and Stock 10 bolt with 3.42s
420 RWHP and 382 RWHTQ
torchd is offline  
post #201 of 675 Old 04-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Proph2010
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Martinsburg
Posts: 302
Can we get a little bit more detailed information on the 710's from anyone with that knowledge. Ie donor vehicles, part numbers etc

Also with engine mods dedicated to increasing airflow the higher fuel flow 715's may not be a bad idea for a 5.2(outside the '95) but I understand that this recommendations are based on a stock 318 motor.
Proph2010 is offline  
post #202 of 675 Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 PM
AlphaLorde
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Forest Lake
Posts: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by proph2010 View Post
can we get a little bit more detailed information on the 710's from anyone with that knowledge. Ie donor vehicles, part numbers etc
x2

1998 ZJ Laredo 5.2L 139k 231 w/SYE artec trussed 8.8 4.25"F/5"R lift
AlphaLorde is offline  
post #203 of 675 Old 04-21-2012, 06:49 PM
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cedar Lake
Posts: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrememarine View Post
I had very similar experience when I first installed the 703's. I did not take the time to rig up a way to pressure test them. I had 3 that were dumping fuel; I found this by taking a clear piece of tubing and a children's cough syrup syringe and made a tester. I put some carb cleaner in the tubing, slide it on the injector, and pushed the plunger down to pressurize the fluid. Sure enough, droplets would form on the motor side of the injector. Swapped those three out and all was fine the second go round.
I picked up some 703s last week. I ended up getting 12 of them just in case some of them were bad. I was wondering how to test them out... This seems like a great idea to see if they're going to leak or not. I guess I'll test them, change the filters and o-rings on whatever 8 come out to be good ones, then post up my results after a couple of tanks of gas to see what's going on with them. Thanks for the great writeup on this.

01 TJ - 4.0L, NV3550, 2" Skyjacker budget boost, Trail Gear front bumper, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
ejschultz is offline  
post #204 of 675 Old 04-22-2012, 11:42 AM
augiedoggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n tonawanda
Posts: 47
I have put about 250 miles on these injectors and unfortunately my gas mileage is DOWN to 10mpg from about 12 all other performance seems the same as stock which only makes sense... I will be trying the yellow "710" injectors next week when the weather improves..
augiedoggy is offline  
post #205 of 675 Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 AM
augiedoggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n tonawanda
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
I picked up some 703s last week. I ended up getting 12 of them just in case some of them were bad. I was wondering how to test them out... This seems like a great idea to see if they're going to leak or not. I guess I'll test them, change the filters and o-rings on whatever 8 come out to be good ones, then post up my results after a couple of tanks of gas to see what's going on with them. Thanks for the great writeup on this.
its best to have them flow matched on a flowbench since they all vary a bit... keeping them together as they can from the original vehicle might be best to accomplish this....
Mine were rebuilt and flow tested and matched prior to me installing them and they still flooded my truck out so...

I recommend to anyone doing this who has an android phone to purchase an "ELM327" adapter from ebay and use the "torque application from android market to monitor in real time what your sensors see and the fuel levels , flow and trim levels to see whats really going on instead of just guessing and assuming...
augiedoggy is offline  
post #206 of 675 Old 04-22-2012, 04:54 PM
ech0sh4y
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 386
So many choices... so a fella with a '98 5.9 should be looking for 710 injectors?! I'm having fuel issues and I am about to swap the pump. Figured I might as well swap over injectors too.


~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
ech0sh4y is offline  
post #207 of 675 Old 04-22-2012, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
zander21510
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,138
everyone can refer to the original post and I have recommendations for what to use for each particular year/engine.
zander21510 is offline  
post #208 of 675 Old 04-23-2012, 02:47 PM
nickszj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Folsom
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ech0sh4y View Post
So many choices... so a fella with a '98 5.9 should be looking for 710 injectors?! I'm having fuel issues and I am about to swap the pump. Figured I might as well swap over injectors too.
I wouldnt!!! I bought 8 brand new 703 injectors off of ebay for $200 delivered and installed them in my 1998 5.9 and they run perfectly.... very smooth and mileage appears to be good too ( dont have a big enough sample to say for sure).

I say stick with the 703's, they are proven by me.

1998 ZJ 5.9 limited in white. M1 intake and $20k+ mods brewing up in my head... SOLD

Looking for the right WJ to build into an expedition rig....
nickszj is offline  
post #209 of 675 Old 04-23-2012, 03:32 PM
augiedoggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n tonawanda
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickszj View Post
I wouldnt!!! I bought 8 brand new 703 injectors off of ebay for $200 delivered and installed them in my 1998 5.9 and they run perfectly.... very smooth and mileage appears to be good too ( dont have a big enough sample to say for sure).

I say stick with the 703's, they are proven by me.
finally someone with 49psi fuel pressure in a 96+ that has had some luck... how many miles have you driven? more than the 200 or so it takes to adjust?
FYI I bought mine rebuilt on ebay too.... (the ones that didnt work)
augiedoggy is offline  
post #210 of 675 Old 04-23-2012, 05:02 PM
nickszj
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Folsom
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedoggy View Post
finally someone with 49psi fuel pressure in a 96+ that has had some luck... how many miles have you driven? more than the 200 or so it takes to adjust?
FYI I bought mine rebuilt on ebay too.... (the ones that didnt work)
I bought mine 'new' on ebay... meaning they had never been used...

I have at least 400-500 miles on mine and they have been perfect since day one.. never a rich condition and never a ping due to a lean condition (actually never a ping at all after installing these and the intake.)

My take is that it isnt luck at all... you cant come onto a Jeep forum and tell everyone that different injectors doesnt work because it doesnt work on your dodge truck.. I am on a Jeep forum, telling everytone that I have tried it on my Jeep 5.9 and the 703 injectors work perfectly.

Sorry if I sound hostile toward you Augie but you caused me a lot of lost time and grief reading your posts explaining why it doesnt work, and how indignant you got in your posts when people suggested you were wrong..

1998 ZJ 5.9 limited in white. M1 intake and $20k+ mods brewing up in my head... SOLD

Looking for the right WJ to build into an expedition rig....
nickszj is offline  
Reply

Tags
703 , 715 , ford , fuel injector , neon , swap

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
1998 zj 5.2 fuel injector swap 1SASjeepster ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 7 12-28-2011 07:17 PM
Injector swap? ZJPRKID ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 24 11-20-2011 05:59 PM
junkyard fuel injector swap and result karik ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 27 07-30-2011 07:10 PM
Fuel injector swap? airwolf9090 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 6 06-10-2011 06:46 AM
injector swap madhappy401 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 0 02-17-2010 06:28 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome