Decoding transmission identification number - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Decoding transmission identification number

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 05-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Flatland88
1996 ZJ 

Decoding transmission identification number

I'm having trouble decoding the identification number on a transmission I purchased for my 96 Grand Cherokee.

Here are the numbers from the side of the transmission: PK521191082445 5341

The seller said that it is 46RE which should work according to comments I've found on the forum, but I wanted to verify that I have the correct transmission. It is mated to an NP249 TC. I simply haven't been able to locate a chart that breaks down the numbers. Does anybody have the secret decoder ring? Thanks.

Flatland88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

welcome!
fill out your jeep info here
<----
so we know what you have besides a 96 ZJ.

Simplest way to find out, do a VIN breakdown, or Chrysler will send you your factory build sheet for free!

here's a vin decoder, if it doesn't give you tranny, somewhere on Chrysler site there's a way to get your build sheet, or call your dealership

http://www.jeepvindecoder.com/

There is a good chance you have the 46RE but I dont know for sure.
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Flatland88
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the quick reply. I added a little more info to my profile as you suggested. I'll add more later but the keep is currently completely stock.

I don't have the vin number of the donor vehicle. I've been able to find places that show where to find the transmission identification numbers, but nowhere that breaks it down enough that I can verify that I bought a 46re.
Unread 05-31-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, hopefully someone else will know better then me. I'm not sure of model break downs on trannys
Unread 05-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Flatland88
1996 ZJ 

That's ok, I don't expect anyone to have all of the answers. I probably should have called and asked the dealer before the start of the weekend.
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Is the right rear corner of the pan cut off? Or does the right front corner have a dog leg in it? Either answer will tell us what you have
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

image-1152777687.jpg

image-360086228.jpg

1st pan is 46 and second is 42
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Believe the seller may have told you wrong. That should be a 44RE for a 96-97 5.2L Grand Cherokee. Double check with you local dealer for a Chrysler PN 52119108.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Flatland88
1996 ZJ 

You're right Ken, after work I was able to check my original transmission which is a 44RE. Sure enough, the numbers start off PK52119108.

Thanks for all of the comments. Even though I'm new posting here, I've found this forum invaluable resource of information for the past couple of years that I've had this vehicle. You guys will never know how much you've helped others by sharing your knowledge.

And dusterdude it looks like the 42RE and 44RE use the same pan: http://www.yourcovers.com/transmissi...mages/9862.PDF
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Groovy,could someone tell me what a 44re is based on?,i know the 42 is a 904 based tranny and the 46 is 727 based tranng
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

The 44RE is based off the 42RE,A500,A904. The 46,47,48 is based from A518,A618,727.

I cant tell you what the difference in the 42 vs 44 is, but to get an up rating in torque from chrysler it was probably something minimal and most of the time they upgrade components that are not known for breakage. Probably added a friction disc or two to the clutch packs, wider band(s) and maybe a little more beef on the planetaries.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Flatland88
1996 ZJ 

Just an update. I put the new (to me) transmission in and she runs great. Gotta love craigslist; $400 for transmission and transfer case.
Unread 07-09-2013, 07:33 AM   #13
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

Glad that one got you back on the road. If it had been a 46RE you would have been changing front and rear driveshafts too!

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #14
Flatland88
1996 ZJ 

That's good to know tucsonzj. There may be another Grand Cherokee in my future. My daughter is learning to drive and has her eye on mine. Since we're driving old cars, I think it's best to have a spare around to drive when one them goes down. I'm not sure though what I'll be adding. I really like my son's XJ. The straight 6 and AW4 trans are a great combo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.