JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Deathwobble, at a loss (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/deathwobble-loss-1237269/)

seanmearse 07-08-2011 10:14 PM

Deathwobble, at a loss

I know, another DW thread. Well, this ones a little different.

Here's the deal, I have replaced EVERY single bushing up front, ball joints, and steering stabilizer, along with an alignment. The only thing left is the upper track bar, its a Heim. The only movement I can see is about 1/32, seriously, I have to be right up on it to see it.

So, the question is, would that cause bad DW? It just looks so miniscule that it just doesn't sound possible, or maybe it is? Any feedback would be great.

Midnightluckey 07-08-2011 10:24 PM

Unbalanced / out of round tires can cause DW. When is the last time they were balanced?

seanmearse 07-08-2011 10:35 PM

Sorry, forgot about that, just had the thornbirds put on today, all balanced properly.

rooster51 07-08-2011 10:48 PM

Re torque everything to factory specs & aftermarket parts to manufacturers specs. Not convinced Thornbirds can be balanced perfectly. Fix your trackbar, you said you seen it move. Not supposed to, not even a little bit.

ratmonkey 07-08-2011 11:17 PM

Thorn turds can't be balanced.

Other options for dw include bad motor mounts. Bad rear bushings, bad steering box, etc...

GM-GDCA 07-08-2011 11:26 PM

have you considered balancing tires and checking trueness of rims? or bad gearing in your steering box? all things to look into. I havn't had the problem on my ZJ but did on a Silverado.

newfieZJ 07-08-2011 11:59 PM

How old are your RE arms and did you replace those control arm bushings also ?

RE had a bad run of bushings . Mine failed in 3-6 months (estimate) After I finished replacing all the other parts , even though good , I then had to start retracing steps and found 2 outta 4 bushings (lwr arms) split .

seanmearse 07-09-2011 10:31 AM

Well, the tires came out to 0.00 after they were balanced. The bushings were all replaced with kragen/energy/moog. This was withing the last 2 weeks, along with all tie rods/ends, gearbox was replaced by the previous owner about two months ago due to the old one not turning left.

ratmonkey 07-09-2011 11:18 AM

You have re arms and used bushings other then re in them? Rubicon express bushings are proprietary.

speedbucket 07-09-2011 11:27 AM

t birds will be out of balance before you get home, i dont care if you put 8oz of beads in them, they wont balance. any track bar play is enough to let DW start. steering box is your next option, do the adjustment per the FAQ/sticky

seanmearse 07-09-2011 12:34 PM

The bushings I got fit very tightly, I just got back from the local fab/crawler shop, he took one look at the caster setting and said wow, go fix that. Getting ready to head out in the garage and reset the caster to compensate for the lift.

seanmearse 07-09-2011 06:57 PM

So, I just spent the entire time adjusting the caster, some moron who owned it before got the bright idea to WELD the jam nut. I am so heated right now its ridiculous. But, alas, the DW is almost gone, just a light vibe for 45-50, nothing around that speed.

speedbucket 07-10-2011 09:41 PM

pinion angle should determine your caster

seanmearse 07-10-2011 10:19 PM

I know, but you cannot adjust the caster on adjustable arms if the nut is welded... So henceforth, I had to grind each nut so I could do that, Not going to just adjust it and say it's good, actually check the degree on the back of the diff, and on the driveshaft to make sure nothing would be overly stressed...

speedbucket 07-11-2011 06:28 AM

hahaha "henceforth" thats great
you can get a decent angle finder from lowe's/homedepot for about 7$
make sure your on level ground

The time now is 11:57 PM.