Death Wobble won't go away - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Death Wobble won't go away

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Death Wobble won't go away

So I've got the dreaded DW. I've replaced all 4 ball joints, the passenger side wheel bearing, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer and track bar. My tires are newly balanced. My control arm bushings are fine. What else could it be?

Unread 08-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
fljeepney
1998 ZJ 

Did you get an alignment?Are the control arms original from when the Jeep was first built?
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

Your asking the question that I think everyone wants to know...What else do I do??? Check the steering gearbox..and make sure its aligned properly... Good luck...I've been fitting that problem with my dodge ram for 3 years now...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Didn't get an alignment yet. I just did the measurement trick. Yes, the control arms are original. But in perfect condition. The worst part is I can't go above 45mph. If I even hit a crack in the road, it starts and violent is an understatement.

I was thinking the steering gearbox, but there doesn't seem to be any play in it. The only other thing I can think of is that the people over at Mavis screwed up the tire balance. After all, they didn't notice the bad ball joints when they did the alignment 2 months ago.
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I'd say your trackbar hole on the axle end is wallowed out. Even with a brand new bar, you'll have issues if it is.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Trackbar hole is perfectly round. I made sure to check it.
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:11 AM   #7
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I didnt replace a lot of stuff on mine when I was looking for a wobble but it did allow me to check over everything up front. I have dealt with death wobble before but I didnt consider this one to be death wobble. Mine started shaking the wheel around 40-55mph, it was always there but not always as bad as other times. The last thing I suspected was a bad tire but thats what I found. A tire can be balanced but still be bad depending on type of balance and machine used, like if the tire is out of round or has a seperated belt or something. I had a fairly new KM2 on mine that had 3 out of round spots across the tread. This was what caused my wobble, replaced the bad tire and was good to go.

You might put your jeep in the air, shift to 4H and let engine idle in gear. Take a good look at the tires when they are rolling, look from the side and front of them and make sure they are perfectly round.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

old tires will peel on the inside and you won't notice it on a balancer, but will on the road. it will cause vibrations, but not boxer changing DW.

if tires are bad they will cause other stuff to set it off. have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you crawl underneith and watch for play. somethings loose and that will help you find it.

i'm betting control arm bushings. just because they 'look' good doesn't mean they are.......
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
01xjltd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have just finished up the same issue on my 96 zj and found, amoungst everything else, the lower control arm bushings were wiped out on both ends even though they appeared good externally. I him hawed around on changing them, and finally did last week, only to find the center section of each bushing sheared. After changing all of the ball joints, tie rod ends, track bar, and upper control arms, steering still felt loose and vehicle wandered. Changed the lowers and alignment, it drives like a dream with no death wobble at any speed. Life is good................
01xjltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, I think some people underestimate just what Death Wobble really is. A vibration in the steering wheel isn't Death Wobble. A pulsing you can feel in the seat isn't Death Wobble.

A violent shaking that tries to rip the steering wheel out of BOTH of your hands with a white knuckle grip is Death Wobble. An accompanying loud crashing sound from all the suspension components that would drown out a 500W stereo system is Death Wobble. A massive shaking that quite literally rips your rear view mirror off and leaves it hanging from the wires is Death Wobble. A violent enough shaking from the front end of your Jeep that makes someone driving the other way on a divided highway swerve into the ditch for fear you're going to explode and take them with you is Death Wobble.

I should take my Jeep out and film it happening. I would bet half the people that have/had Death Wobble (yes, there's a reason I capitalize it. It's out of respect.) and think an out of balance tire solves it would reconsider what they call it. The only thing a tire can do to even remotely resemble Death Wobble is if the tire went flat, came off the bead and flopped sideways.

Picture trying to drive on square wheels. Then you might be coming close to Death Wobble...
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #11
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Post above is correct but you are putting an emphasis to extreme or real bad death wobble. You can definitely have death wobble on a smaller scale if you are lucky. A bad tire can cause or start the wobble process but chances are high that other things in the steering or suspension have wear or play to make it go. Im not saying a simple tire out of balance can be the issue but a tire with seperated belts or being out of round can cause wobble.

The bad cases of death wobble are impressive on how bad they can shake things and make you feel like you have no control over the vehicle. Milder cases of death wobble act the same but not as pronounced. If mild wobble is ever felt you should start checking things fast before it gets out of hand.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

This is true. I only have experience with mine. It went from nothing driving down the freeway (that had a lot of construction work done on it) at up to 75mph to 50mph on a brand new road. Out of nowhere I had 4 cars (3 on my side of the road the fourth coming the other way) go into full defensive driving avoidance tactics because my Jeep suddenly needed an exorcist!

It literally was perfectly fine up until then. Not even a slight shake. Felt fine, drove fine. The worst part? This happened on the way TO wheeling, not afterwards!!!
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 08-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #13
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Trust me, I have full on Death Wobble. At around 40mph, if I hit a seem in the road, it feels like the hole Jeep is going to shake into pieces. Well at least I only have a few more things to change. The drag link, steering box and control arm bushings.
Unread 08-10-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I feel ya man. I haven't started to fix mine yet. Mainly for fear of sticker shock. And I'm broke.

I have been avoiding any road over 45mph since Feb.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 08-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #15
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Well I've gotten to the point where I can at least get it up to 55mph. But if I hit a big enough bump, it comes back. Any other suggestions? Will a bad alignment really cause DW? I don't want to spend money on another alignment if it won't fix the problem.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.