death wobble. what is it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > death wobble. what is it?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

death wobble. what is it?

just put a 3.5 lift on.(2 bb and 1.5 spring helpers) i know this sucks but thats what i did. had it up to 65 mph no noticeable shaking or anything. i was particularly looking for a shake or something. i have seen death wobble mentioned here regularly but dont know for sure what it is, what causes it or how to fix it. the only thing i noticed is the jeep seems top heavy. thinking of wheel spacers. they are cheap. any body have any experience with them?

ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

Death wobble is shaking at higher speeds cause of worn out components on the suspension. Usually things like a bushing or a rounded out mount

Why wheel spacers?

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #3
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

i feel top heavy since the lift. thought a wider wheelbase might help. any validity to this idea?
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
silver_laredoSE
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
i feel top heavy since the lift. thought a wider wheelbase might help. any validity to this idea?
correct the wider the wheel base the lower the center of gravity...most go with rims with a different backspacing and wider tires

Silver Jeep Club Member #4

2008 JK
Black Diamond 3in
315/75R16 KM2s
XRC8
Smittybuilt XRC Stinger
Flat fenders

OLD WJ BUILD THREAD:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ead-wj-984371/
silver_laredoSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
99avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
just put a 3.5 lift on.(2 bb and 1.5 spring helpers) i know this sucks but thats what i did. had it up to 65 mph no noticeable shaking or anything. i was particularly looking for a shake or something. i have seen death wobble mentioned here regularly but dont know for sure what it is, what causes it or how to fix it. the only thing i noticed is the jeep seems top heavy. thinking of wheel spacers. they are cheap. any body have any experience with them?
kinda looks like this

[yt]vwiv23dLhMY[/yt]

Thicker sway bars will help with the top heavy feeling

If it aint broke, fix it till it is.
99avant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Greeeeenberg
1997 ZJ 

My death wobble is a quick notes version. Every case is different.

Not gonna help that much. If you want less roll looking into some different sway bars. The stock ones are okay but you want something beefer. Addco is a good brand and easy to come by. You can contact Kolak, he is a dealer on the site and is trustsed and liked by many because he generally has the best price kolak@aol.com. Here is what they are to give you an idea IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: WJ Front Sway Bar (Addco). That is for the front.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: WJ Rear Heavy Duty Sway Bar (Addco) thats for the rear. One or the other should be enough. Someone should chime in with more WJ expierence then myself and confirm

Michigan Tech Jeepers Member #1
Greeeeenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

wow! that video is really helpful in regards to" i know i dont want that". thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
rjs79cj5
1979 CJ5 

at least you can get yours up to 65, i can't go past 50, to much play in the wheel, trying to figure out how to fix it.
Unread 10-05-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

That DW is ridiculous. I would feel like an idiot driving like that.

Regarding center of gravity, unless those new wheels are very heavy, there will be no change in the vertical CG with a wider stance. Vertical CG is the elevation of midpoint of the mass distribution. Horizontal center will stay the same since the wheels will contribute evenly on both sides.

A wider stance will just decrease your chances of rollover a little. It takes more force to torque the weight of the vehicle over a longer moment arm.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.