Death Wobble Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Death Wobble Help

Rear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 05-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
skullix12
1996 ZJ 

Death Wobble Help

I am new here so i apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ with a 3inch Pro COmp lift kit and 33inch tires
I've looked around many forums and websites around the internet and still can't seem to figure out what to do.
I've tightened all the bolts in the front steering to the correct torque and i just can't seem to rid my self from them.
My very last option is to buy anything new unless it is pretty cheap <$50
I had someone turn the wheel from 3-9 back and forth because there was an information video saying that should be done to find the "wear points" in the suspension.
I took a video of that and will have it posted here so if anyone can give anymore help

When i watched the steering, i saw two main issues.
  • one was that the drag link end on the passenger side moved up and down slightly but definitely noticably. and i think the bushing is old/worn out
  • another issue i saw was when the steering wheel hit about 3 o'clock the trac bar almost "hopped" up a few centimeters which i believe might be my main issue

Here are videos of the steering/suspension with the wheel being turned each direction slightly:

not a very good video im gonna try to get another one soon

anyways any help would be appreciated
Thanks

skullix12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

That video shows nothing.

If the trackbar is moving, thats going to be the main issue. Check the frame side bracket and make sure all the bolts are tight, you'll need to check to make sure the axle side hole is not wallowed out and the bushing is in good shape.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
skullix12
1996 ZJ 

I realized the video wasn't good until after I saw it. I'll get another talking about both issues I was talking about soon
Unread 05-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check track bar mounting bracket ( driver's side ) for tightness. Put a wrench on it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

looks like nearly everything is pretty much totally worn out or just about there.
the track bar is in need of replacement, the drag link is hosed.
the video quality is too poor to see much of anything else.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #6
skullix12
1996 ZJ 

The nut on the mounting braket of the track bar is pretty easily turntable with a wrench but it doesn't tighten because the bolt turns with it too. I'm gonna take another video/pictures today. What should it be of and what should I put the emphasis on?
Unread 05-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

There are two vertical large bolts pointing UPWARD on the frame side ( driver's side) of the track bar....at the mount. Tighten the heck out of them for starters. And as I recall, there is a nut inside the driver's side wheel well that also holds the track bar mount. Make sure it's tight too. The other nuts in the same area are steering box nuts. They, too need to be tight.

But if you need a new track bar, this isn't going to cure your ills 100%. Replace the track bar, too....as well as the other worn components.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
skullix12
1996 ZJ 

went underneath today and tightened the bolt from the track bar to the mount because it was a little loose. I also checked the bolts on the track bar mount to the frame and those were tight. Besides the steering and suspension being worn out the only other issue i could find was up and down play with the drag link which again i think is caused by a bad bushing. I could not figure out how to tighten the connection though because the bolt and nut had a metal piece(I believe its called a kingpin?) that locks it from loosening. Obviously the best route would be to replace almost everything, but i can't do that. So any other advice to help me avoid them? or something is almost necessary to replace at this point in time? Thanks for the quick and information replies i appreciate it

Also i had it aligned a few months ago when i brought in into a local wheel works when i got 2 new tires. Do you think they know how to align the wheels correctly for a lifted jeep? Or would they just have used the factory alignment?

Last edited by skullix12; 05-06-2013 at 12:42 AM..
Unread 05-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Depending upon the transfer case you have, buying just two tires is a bad idea and can lead to damage in the drive line.

There is no cure for worn out components other than replacement.
Up/down movement in a tie rod end indicates it is bad. It can't be tightened up.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

If your tie rod ends are bad then an alignment won't help. A good shop won't even do the alignment if those things need replacing because it's just a rip off.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.