Death wobble, control arms and tie rod/draglink - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Death wobble, control arms and tie rod/draglink

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Death wobble, control arms and tie rod/draglink

I've never had death wobble in the 17 years I've owned the jeep, but I hit a curb and messed up the front end and the wobble appeared.

It started off wobbling bad at 30mph. I've replaced the trackbar with a jks adjustable and already had a moog steering stabilizer. That got the wobble up to about 50mph, but I need to be able to take in on the highway for it to be useful around here.

Tie rod ends and balljoints seem pretty good. Control arm bushings are all cracked and one of the control arms is pretty scarred from setting down on it.

I'm going to do all new control arms and I'm thinking about just replacing the tie rod and drag link. Since I will have the front end apart I'm going to go ahead and throw in my OME coils and Bilsteins that have been sitting on the bench for two months.

If I'm only doing 2.5ish inches of lift, does it make sense to go to adjustables all around now? Or just put in new stocks. If I do go higher and to adjustables later I can just move the new stockers over to the 9er which probably needs it.

Is moog a reasonable brand for control arms? Who is best to order from?

Is it worth it to just pull the trigger on new drag link and tie rod? I'm only going to 31's so I can't see needing a beefier setup. Could they be bad but not moving when I do the grab the wheel and shake test?

Not looking to spend a lot of money but this needs to be safe to drive at 80mph highway.

And my current vehicle scoreboard (between my GF and I):

1996 ZJ 5.2: front suspension problems, stuck in the driveway
1998 ZJ 5.9: getting a new engine and trans, at the mechanic
1989 Integra: getting new master cylinder, major tune up, valve cover gasket, whatever else he finds, at the mechanic
2000 Accord: CEL on, SRS light on, drive like ****, but at least it drives

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Do control arms for sure if the bushings are bad, stockers will be fine fore 2.5" of lift. Since you hit a curb I would make sure that the wheel isn't bent. Don't bother with the drag link and tie rod yet, replacing them won't sure death wobble.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I tossed the spare on there to check early on, no difference.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.