Death Wobble concerns - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Death Wobble concerns

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
MrMoosecakes
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 144
Death Wobble concerns

So I plan on installing the IRO 4.5 inch lift into my 97 ZJ in the near future but I've been hearing from some people about death wobble. Is this guaranteed to be an issue or is there a way to prevent it? I'm a jeep noob so some input from the pros would be great

MrMoosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #2
SAR-Swimmer
Senior Member
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mission, B.C. Canada
Posts: 752
Installing a lift doesn't cause death wobble, worn steering/ suspension parts do. If you have any problems in those parts, the extra weight of larger tires/rims and lift, will just make the problem far more obvious. I doubt anyone here could "guarantee" you will or won't have death wobble, after your lift, as we don't know the state of your steering/suspension components currently.
SAR-Swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
MrMoosecakes
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR-Swimmer
Installing a lift doesn't cause death wobble, worn steering/ suspension parts do. If you have any problems in those parts, the extra weight of larger tires/rims and lift, will just make the problem far more obvious. I doubt anyone here could "guarantee" you will or won't have death wobble, after your lift, as we don't know the state of your steering/suspension components currently.
Alright thanks this answers my question. So it's not the actual lift that causes it like some people have led me to believe. But judging my the state of my steering and suspension I most likely will need to replace some things
MrMoosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 2,787
Lift just aggravates it by putting different strains on suspension components. Death wobble is also not so much a steering problem as it is a suspension problem. Track bars and control arms are the main cause.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
MrMoosecakes
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Lift just aggravates it by putting different strains on suspension components. Death wobble is also not so much a steering problem as it is a suspension problem. Track bars and control arms are the main cause.
So with my lift I'm adding new adjustable track bars and control arms so should this help prevent it?
MrMoosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:51 AM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 2,787
Yes, just make sure you torque the track bar to spec, and remember to torque thing with the weight on the wheels so you don't preload them.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
MrMoosecakes
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
Yes, just make sure you torque the track bar to spec, and remember to torque thing with the weight on the wheels so you don't preload them.
Alright man, thanks for the tips
MrMoosecakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy
 
riot1987's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lakewood, COLORADO
Posts: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoosecakes View Post
So I plan on installing the IRO 4.5 inch lift into my 97 ZJ in the near future but I've been hearing from some people about death wobble. Is this guaranteed to be an issue or is there a way to prevent it? I'm a jeep noob so some input from the pros would be great
As stated, worn, loose, tired parts cause death wobble. A properly installed lift with quality components should not have issues with death wobble.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.