Death Wobble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Death Wobble

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
KrisBeller

Death Wobble

i have a 3 inch lift on my 96 grand cherokee and its got this "Death Wobble" i don't have the slightest clue were to start please help

KrisBeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...-help-1518766/
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
jeepingforlife
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. You are going to want to make sure you pinion able for your drive shaft is okay. Do you know how to do this?
jeepingforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
KrisBeller

no I'm new to all this so i need all the help i can get
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepingforlife View Post
I had the same problem. You are going to want to make sure you pinion able for your drive shaft is okay. Do you know how to do this?
Please don't give incorrect advice.

OP: You should start with a dry steering test to identify any loose or worn components in the front end. To do this, put the key in the ignition and turn it to the first click "ACC". Have someone turn the steering wheel side to side while you look under the front, if you take a video it might be easier to help you out.

Also, check the bushing and nut on the trackbar at the axle end, then check the bolts holding the trackbar bracket at the frame side. There should be no play and the bushing needs to be in good shape. If it is loose, check to make sure the bolt hole is not wallowed out.

What does your lift consist of? If you did not replace the control arms, are the bushings in good shape? Is it possible to move the arms by trying to shake them?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
KrisBeller

my lift is just a 3 inch block sitting on top of the springs I'm not sure if its even the correct lift for my vehicle but it works
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #7
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You should also check your ball joints. You will most likely find that you have a bunch of stuff with a small amount of wear that adds up to your problem.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

take the blocks out of the coil buckets and tighten up the front end before you lift it lol. i believe someone posted the link to another thread, but there are a million places to look that could cause the DW. could be one of many bushings, could be the fact you might need ext control arms, could be an alignment issue, could be even your tires out of balance. there are several issues Whiteout is VERY knowledgable, when the person is turning the wheel look for anything moving abnormally, everything should move together you will see something out of the norm. i would recommend checking the track bar bushing down on the axle i see is the most common.
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #9
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Fat Bobs strikes again. perfect way to make a good jeep crap.

because someone cheaped out on a 'lift' you are going to end up replacing everything.

issues come from worn out front end components; adding a lift usually increases the wear on many of these parts, and it is likely why you have issues. alignment and wheel balance at this point is A WASTE OF MONEY. what good is aligning somethng that is worn out?

first place to start; get underneith it and have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth; look for play in everything. nothing should move. if you see movement in any joints replace them.
typically the track bar is the first place to look. its likely shot and needs to be replaced. this is the #1 issue most of the time. look at tie rods, ball joints and hubs too. control arm bushings are another area where this is common. you lift the jeep, it has junk joints, they will help the front end break loose.

so to sum it up.

look for play. do the wiggle test described above. to chek for play in the wheels, jack the axle up, and grab the wheel. there should be absolutely no play in it. if there is, hubs or ball joints are gone.

so. in order of preference

1: track bar
2: control arm bushings
3: hubs/ball joints
4: steering components Tie Rod ends.

OR..... if the above is to much work or you don't understand it.........
add a steering stabilizer. the biggest meanest on you can find. then sell jeep and run. or take it to a shop and get bent over to take the flaming cactus
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.