daughter hit a pole...bumper questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > daughter hit a pole...bumper questions...

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

daughter hit a pole...bumper questions...

All right so I let my daughter borrow my 98 zj laredo and... she hits a pole in the parking lot at school. Looking at the plastic bumper gaurd it didnt appear bad. But the radiator recently went out and when I go to replace the radiator I find the actual bumper pushed in abiut three or so inches on the right side, and is pinning the radiator to the steering box. Looking at the bumper it looks like it held on by some torq head bolts. Dont know if I can replace it . Or maybe pull it out with a come along. Doesnt need to be square just need to swap radiators. Anyone have any experience with something like this????
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bear304inc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Pics would help.

If you're talking about the front crossmember it should be spot welded on, no bolts. I did mine pretty bad totaling a camry that stopped at a green light.

Pics here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n.../#post14521403

I bent it far enough back into shape with a c-clamp and a 2x6 to get the radiator back in correctly. Once my bumper was built I used that and a ratchet tow strap to bend it back some more.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I pulled my rear one out with a come along. Hooked it to the side of a trash dumpster. Be aware, it can slide the dumpster towards your Jeep, so make sure the rear hatch is closed first ! Piece of cake.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Well thanks guys ,your comments gave me enough confidence to go out and strap a come along and chain to a tree in my yard and slowly got that sucker pulled out enough to get the radiator swap done. Wasn't too bad, only problem was when I put that much tension on the come along I couldnt get it to release,, so I would have to carefully push the whole jeep up with another truck. Had to do this a dozen times or more while moving the come along hook to different spots. Its nowher close to pretty but I got that sucker in and she's running like a champ. No just waiting for my wheel adapters to come in the mail, and the jk Sahara wheels that have been sitting in the garage go on! Thanks again. Ps tried to upload pics but it kept telling me the file size was too large.
Unread 08-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #5
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Seems to be running fine, but I just noticed the oil pressure gauge sitting at zero,,, it was about a quart low so I added some and no change. The jeep was sitting a few months before I put the radiator in, wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Unread 08-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Yeah my adapters came today. Now if only I didnt feel like a recycled turd from this stupid summer cold, I would put them on tonight. Looks like its Nyquil and bed for today, get it done tomorrow.
Unread 08-12-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

that was short lived....

Ok fellas new problem,, maybe an old problem...
Got my bumper pulled out radiators swapped, ran nice around the block a few times, parked it running a few more minutes checking for over heating and or leaks,, nothing. All appeared fine. Till today, I get in her to go get my tires put back on the beads (whole other issue involving me and some carb cleaner and fire.. didnt work)and I get maybe two blocks and I notice shes running a lil hot, so I turn around get home and it appears I have a leak, with the fan shroud on I cant immediately see where it is coming from, and... its pouring rain btw, so ill hunt that down tomorrow.....
Now I have a couple of questions,,,
Shouldnt I feel fluid in the top hose going into the thermostat housing? I got nothing.
If so would that indicate a faulty thermostat?
Water pump possibly?
Im also wondering if my system had this problem that caused my first radiator to fail. God I hope I didnt bust the new one on top of having another issue.

Didnt know if I should've started a new thread,, figured id try this one I already got going,,,,
Any ideas??????????
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #8
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

Sounds like you need to burp the system from air. Yes you should feel water in the top hose, but if there's isn't any water (air pocket) touching the stat, it isn't heating up right to open and circulate the water.
Unread 08-17-2014, 04:21 PM   #9
Bear304inc
1998 ZJ 

Well, I ended up changing my thermostat and the water pump, and the radiator... including several flushes, and parked it going up a pretty steep hill to burp all the air. So far so good. Not sure which one fixed my problem but it appears to be fixed.( fingers crossed)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.