dashboard query - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > dashboard query

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
jock27
1998 XJ Cherokee 

dashboard query

see attached pic from my UK spec 98 Laredo, I have been informed that the button with the "D OFF" on it may be an overdrive off button but my question is...how and when should I employ it?
I originally posted this in cherokee forum not grand cherokee this button is not on XJ models

20121212_084411.jpg  
jock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

It does indeed turn the overdrive off.

AFAIK, mostly used when towing. I have never towed anything with the Jeep, nor have I ever used the button.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

grand cherokee (zj and your zg) are quite different from the cherokee model(xj).

the button is actually OD off, it prevents the transmission from reaching 4th gear and allows the torque converter to lock in 3rd gear provided a few conditions of throttle and speed are met.

it is used when towing mainly, saves wear and tear on the transmission from running at high engine loads with the transmission in too high a ratio with the torque converter clutch unlocked. that creates a ton of heat in the trans.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
jock27
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks very much for that, most helpful, I'll just ignore it then...unless towing
Unread 12-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I use it sometimes on windy roads when I want more control, it really helps the feel of things for some driving. My father would use it if he saw a highway patrol car to slow down without touching the brakes, not sure I'd recommend that trick, but it does work.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hills or towing.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
Insane_Jeep
1997 ZJ 

i live near mountains and i use it on high grades going down the mountains...it helps wear and tear on the brakes i pretty much don't have to touch the gas or brake all the way down
Insane_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
jock27
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the tips guys.....I did wonder about the high gradient downhill stuff
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #9
Zoot
1997 ZJ 

We have ridiculous mountains on Borneo, I use it when I am going inland where you have mountain after mountain after mountain... they don't understand switchbacks, just throw the road straight up towards the pass, if it gets too steep, put in a bit of a wiggle towards the top

There are plenty of 15%+ grades. Plays hell with the shifting. You are either pedal to the metal, or slow as a slow thing on a slow day.
Zoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.