dash lights not working - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
jdk3034
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 281
dash lights not working

Well, when I first bought my Jeep the headlight dimmer switch was broke, the dash lights would stay dim and sliding the dimmer switch up and down had no effect on the brightness. Picked up one from the junkyard, and it fixed the problem ~ all my lights were bright. A month later, I'm driving down the road and all the sudden the dash lights all go out. So I've been driving with them not working for a while then one random day I have to move my Jeep from in the garage to the corner of the driveway and they were working for a minute. I turned my Jeep off, and next time I take it for a drive they don't work again. So I finally bought a new Headlight switch from Rockauto.com, put it in and they still don't work! $80 for nothing. So how do I go about troubleshooting this problem, I really need to take care of this, I can't see any of my gauges at night so I always have to guess how fast I'm driving.

jdk3034 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 03-09-2007, 10:58 PM
ForwardControl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 388
My first guess would be that your original switch bad/broken like you said, then you had a bad connection after installing the second switch, and now said connection is worse after installing the third switch -or- now with the third switch you've shorted something out and have blown the fuse.

Did you check the fuse? If it is fine you have a bad connection somewhere, probably related to your switch install. If the fuse is blown try another one. If it blows right away you have a short somewhere, probably related to your switch install. Or it will suddenly work.


I assume you are driving a ZJ?

Matt
2000 WJ Laredo (Champaign), 4.0L, 242 SelecTrac. Added: Black front hooks. K&N FIPKII Intake. RB1 Navigation, Mopar iPod Integration. 31" BFG All Terrain T/A KO. Alpine audio upgrade (see link below). Next: IRO 3" Lift, new shocks.

WJ Base Audio Upgrade

I HAVE A 4.0L In My WJ And LOVE It So *** Me Club Member #1
Colorado Jeep Club Member #114
ForwardControl is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 03-09-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
jdk3034
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 281
Sorry forgot to mention that it's a 96 ZJ Limited V8. I don't think I messed anything up installing the switch all I did was unplug the harness and plug it into the new switch. I'll check the fuses sometime tomorrow.
jdk3034 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 PM
ForwardControl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk3034
Sorry forgot to mention that it's a 96 ZJ Limited V8. I don't think I messed anything up installing the switch all I did was unplug the harness and plug it into the new switch. I'll check the fuses sometime tomorrow.
Yeah, a harness is hard to mess up isn't it.... Hmmm. Well the behavior screams "bad connection". If you ensure your fuse is ok at this point, can you wiggle and pull at the wires and harness to see if you get any thing out of the dash lights?

Matt
2000 WJ Laredo (Champaign), 4.0L, 242 SelecTrac. Added: Black front hooks. K&N FIPKII Intake. RB1 Navigation, Mopar iPod Integration. 31" BFG All Terrain T/A KO. Alpine audio upgrade (see link below). Next: IRO 3" Lift, new shocks.

WJ Base Audio Upgrade

I HAVE A 4.0L In My WJ And LOVE It So *** Me Club Member #1
Colorado Jeep Club Member #114
ForwardControl is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 03-10-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
jdk3034
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 281
I did wiggle the wires on the harness when I installed the 3rd one, and couldn't get anything to light up. I'll be checking the fuse later tonight after I change the oil and plugs.
jdk3034 is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 03-10-2007, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
jdk3034
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 281
Checked the fuses, not blown. Anyone have a wiring diagram? This is gonna be a pain in the ***.
jdk3034 is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 03-11-2007, 07:05 AM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,793
check the ground and power lead in to the switch first. make sure the dimmer is actually getting power. then start tracing the wiring. is ALL of the light controlled by the dimmer switch not working or just the instrument panel?

oh yeah, invest in a multimeter, you need a good one when owning a chrysler product.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 03-11-2007, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
jdk3034
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 281
All the gauges, transmission indicator lights, and 4wd selector lights don't light up.
jdk3034 is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 03-11-2007, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
jdk3034
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 281
Actually, when I slide the dimmer up and down all the digital gauges brighten/dim (the odometer, temperature on the ATC, and VIC). Nothing else lights up at all.
jdk3034 is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 08:46 AM
Firefighter29
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 18
I am having the same problem in my 95 zj, driving one day and everything just went dark, gauge lights, transmission indicator, 4x4 indicator, A/C lights, etc. the only difference is that I haven't taken my dash apart at all. Not sure where to start and I don't have a lot of time to invest in taking apart and troubleshooting the issue. But I also don't want to take it somewhere and be charged $200 for working on it plus the cost of the part. Did you get yours fixed? If so how?
Firefighter29 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 AM
dellis
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vienna
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter29 View Post
I am having the same problem in my 95 zj, driving one day and everything just went dark, gauge lights, transmission indicator, 4x4 indicator, A/C lights, etc. the only difference is that I haven't taken my dash apart at all. Not sure where to start and I don't have a lot of time to invest in taking apart and troubleshooting the issue. But I also don't want to take it somewhere and be charged $200 for working on it plus the cost of the part. Did you get yours fixed? If so how?
Step #1. Are warning lamps and engine gauges on your instrument cluster working? If not, check for a blown fuse in your interior junction block (it would be fuse #7 on my 4.0, and likely the same on your 5.2). Replace the fuse and see if they now work ... of course, the fuse may blow again, but at least we have identified the power problem (and further diagnosis required).

Step #2. If the warning lamps and gauges of your instrument panel are working, then the power for the lamps that have failed are through the Body Control Module, and let's see if that is working. Do interior lights properly turn on and off when you open and close the door? If not, then your BCM is likely the source of your problem. If, however, these lights are turning on/off with doors opening/closing, then your problem is likely your dimmer control beside the headlamp switch.

Answer these two questions to help narrow it down to one of these three areas, and then perhaps we can give you guidance on further testing.
dellis is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 AM
dnuccio
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellis View Post
Step #1. Are warning lamps and engine gauges on your instrument cluster working? If not, check for a blown fuse in your interior junction block (it would be fuse #7 on my 4.0, and likely the same on your 5.2). Replace the fuse and see if they now work ... of course, the fuse may blow again, but at least we have identified the power problem (and further diagnosis required).

Step #2. If the warning lamps and gauges of your instrument panel are working, then the power for the lamps that have failed are through the Body Control Module, and let's see if that is working. Do interior lights properly turn on and off when you open and close the door? If not, then your BCM is likely the source of your problem. If, however, these lights are turning on/off with doors opening/closing, then your problem is likely your dimmer control beside the headlamp switch.

Answer these two questions to help narrow it down to one of these three areas, and then perhaps we can give you guidance on further testing.
he has a 95. 93-95 ZJs do not have body control modules.

Reliability is relative
R.I.P. Ratmonkey
dnuccio is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Firefighter29
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 18
Well the interior lights work with the door, and the turn signal indicators, bright light indicator, etc. also work. It's just the lights that would be controlled by the dimmer switch but I wasn't sure if that would be the problem or not.
Firefighter29 is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Firefighter29
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Jacksonville
Posts: 18
Also the fuses were the first thing I checked and they were all good.
Firefighter29 is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 02:59 PM
dellis
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vienna
Posts: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
he has a 95. 93-95 ZJs do not have body control modules.
Ooops ... I didn't have the right schematic in front of me.

OK, I guess my step #2 is invalid and we are only looking at the fuse or the dimmer switch.
dellis is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
headlights/parking lights, instrument lights not working. 2000JEEP_GC ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 10-29-2015 09:00 AM
Center stack dash lights not working! 2xturbo ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 01-04-2013 06:10 PM
no parking lights, rear wiper, dash lights flash with blinker kemicalburns ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 6 04-23-2010 08:45 PM
dash lights not working 95ZJ ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 09-07-2009 12:59 PM
led dash lights stopped working tonyp6796 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 03-23-2009 02:21 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome