Dash lights flickering? Easy Free Fix! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dash lights flickering? Easy Free Fix!

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-01-2008, 01:25 PM   #1
boilinsrt
1996 ZJ 

Dash lights flickering? Easy Free Fix!

So my dash lights started to flicker last year, which wasn't a problem cause the trans went out on the same day along with the exhaust... So finally got the thing driving again and the lights flickering was driving me crazy and I was not going to spend over $50 on a new headlight switch. So I tore into it and figured out it is really EASY to fix. Sorry if this has already been posted, I've only been told to buy a new switch assembly and never heard of anyone trying to fix it.

Supplies needed:
Phillips head screwdriver
Soldering iron
Solder

Step 1) Pull out the head light switch assembly (have to remove some trim work to get it all the way out)
Step 2) Look at the back of the switch box and there should be a white plastic cover being held on by 2 screws, take if off.
Step 3) You will see there is a line of soldered contacts paraelle to the plug on the side of the circuit board. Inspect these, this is where my problem was. Also look for any signs of crosion and clean it up with rubbing alcohol.
Step 4) The bottom contact (as if it was in the car) solder will be cracked and possibly another one. I have to wear reading glasses and I could see the cracks without my glasses. I am almost positive its the ground connection but it is really easy to spot because since it was arcing so much, it has changed the color metal so its no longer chrome looking.
Step 5) Take the soldering iron and heat up the connection so the solder remelts, I added some fresh solder into the joint as well. I did all the connections for safe keeping.
Step 6) Reassemble and install
Step 7) Crack open a beer cause you just saved yourself a few cases.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, my camera is on the fritz.

boilinsrt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.