Dana 44a - chipped teeth on the ring gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dana 44a - chipped teeth on the ring gear

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Dana 44a - chipped teeth on the ring gear

So, I'm in the process of replacing the wheel bearings on my 44a, but found broken teeth on the ring gear. I'm not really interested in putting any money in the axle, and finding the chipped teeth makes it easier not to. So does anybody know how long it might last?

img_0633_r.jpg  
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Between 1 and 25,000 miles depending on luck and how hard it's stressed by the driver. You could probably do a couple low side holeshots on pavement and ruin it within eyeshot of where it's parked right now. Or you could drive like there's an egg under the throttle and it might outlive the truck

good luck with the project
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Well, the contact pattern between the ring and pinion is supposed to be in the middle of the teeth, so most of that damage shouldn't hurt, but that one tooth is iffy. I had a hot rod that ground up the spider gears into powder, and the ring gear had damaged corners. I cleaned out the axle, threw in some junkyard spiders, and kept on driving. After about a year the pinion bearing gave out in a bad way, totaling the axle.

I totally agree with foundrydude. Personally, I would clean out the axle real good and avoid burnouts. Drive it till it breaks. Meantime, go to a you pull it yard and get another axle cheap, overhaul it, and have it on standby.
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

I'd drive it to the junkyard and back to pick up a replacement axle.
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh, time to pull a new one.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I had a GM axle do that once, drove the chip through the bottom of the housing and drained all my gear oil in a nice line down the highway. A trail so clear and clean that my dad just followed it to the side street I pulled into. Drove it ten miles home and threw in a junkyard axle.

I'd replace it.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

It's already beyond borrowed time.
Bet it howls like a dog on a full moon.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be concerned about what caused it. It looks like several teeth are damaged so you had something in the case that the teeth hit. It doesn't look like the chip from the tooth was big enough to cause the damage, but I could be wrong. With metal fragments in the oil, the bearings will not last too long.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
zarnold
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the information guys! I've found a replacement at my local u-pull-it. I plan on just leaving it on the jack-stands until I swap it out.
zarnold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.