dana 44, pinion gear mate shaft, lock screw head broke off - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > dana 44, pinion gear mate shaft, lock screw head broke off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 06-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Ok so throw that one out the window, thanks, how did you finally get the sucker out of there??

tallears is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #17
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

In my case we said to heck with it and put the cover back on. I know one guy who was able to drill it with a right angle drill, though.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #18
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Thanks, if I wasn't set on changing my rear wheel axle bearings I guess that would work. But see, I have this dream, and in it this dream I'm driving around with a quiet set of wheel bearings, purrrring along threw the hot summer nites. So you see, I will not give in, mind over matter, it's that bolt or buy new diff.case.assembly$$.
Unread 06-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

You don't want to drive around on noisy bearings for long - I have a pic on my phone, and I'll post it later. You'll thrash your axle shafts. If you don't have easy access to a well stocked junkyard, you're in for a pretty penny for new shafts.

Try the picks. If there's any Locktite on the thread or 2 on the pin, you might need to heat it up a bit. All it takes is patience. Once you break it loose, it should spin right out. It's threaded all the way to the edge of the carrier.

If you've used any brake cleaner to clean up the area, please please please make sure it's non-chlorinated - chlorinated stuff releases a toxin that will give you smoker's cough for the rest of your LIFE when heat is applied
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #20
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

This is what happens when you run on a shot bearing too long. The one on the right in the second pic is scrap now.
image-3108606626.jpg   image-1739433629.jpg  

Unread 06-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Thanks again, On a 1 to 10 and 10 being the wrost sounding bearing, I am pleased to say mine are a 1, I can barely hear them back there,,, there has to be complete silence around me and then I can hear them... 97k so I figured its time to change them, I problaly overstated the noise factor, sorry, but I have been replacing things on my Jeep that don't even need replaced, just do it for preventive main...I am trying to avoid just what you are showing me here, and believe me, I just replaced my frt axles and hubs (crowns, made in the good old u s of a) just this last weekend. Saved all parts because the stocks were still in decent shape, going to give your trick a try this weekend, I already tried to twist it out of there with a craftsman easy-out, with no luck, just hope I didn't mess up the threads too much inside that case, if I did i'm a goner,... at last end i will bring it into shop and have them give it a go...
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #22
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

probably not wheel bearings then, most likely the carrier bearings on the 44A diff.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #23
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Pretty sure its the wheel bearings, not 100% but because I have run Mobile 1 syn. in that carrier forever and have replaced it more than needed I can't see it being that, but I will keep an open mind and check that out also, so thank you for the needed info...
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #24
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Synthetic gear oil doesn't dissipate heat as well as dino. Heat is the enemy of the 44a in a big way.

A note about the strength of that bolt.it sees next to no force from the cross shaft.all source is directed at the carrier not parallel to the shaft. So the bolt barely sees any force at all during operation.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #25
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

the cross pin will see some wiggle when the hole in the carrier gets wallowed out by romping on the throttle. Other than that, not much reason for the retainer to snap.

I'm thinking defect in the manufacturing process or heavy hand in the assembly process. That's what causes that little turd to shear. Probably a combination of both.

Shtuff happens, and we deal with it when we get there.

Unread 06-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #26
m0l0

I know your pain , i hope you figured it out , but if you don’t , what I do in that case ( happened to me like twice on different vehicles) is to hit the pinion shaft pin really hard in the bolt side until the bolt will break in two pieces one piece inside the pin and the other inside the carrier (the one that got the head off) , i know doesn’t sounds pretty but with a big hammer and a brass punch you can do it , that way you can take the pin out and take the c-clips out and then carrier to a shop or do it yourself to drill that bolt out . As you stated before it’s an angle and it’s really frustrating to try to drill that bolt, and you can do more damage to the carrier that way with the drill.
Granted if you damage the pin, you will need to replace it, but its better to fix the bearings or whatever work you need to do on the diff, rather than leave it there until something else goes wrong. And the pin is not really that expensive. i will leave the pic on the pin and the position you need to give some hammer to break the bolt.

Hope this works for you , really the bolt is not that hard to break this way.
m0l0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 03:08 PM   #27
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Hitting it with a hammer sounds like a good one. That pin is a p.o.s pin and should break, its a good idea, I already have the replacement pin and if I put a few nicks and bumps on the shaft I have many grinders to smooth that sucker out. I should have the info on my alldata to take that case off and reinstall to spec's. Thanks again all.. Never heard about the Synthetic gear oil not being as good as I thought it was. I'll keep an eye on that, thanks, for the price you pay for it wow.. 2 more weeks I go on vacation, I will then have the time I need to deal with this issue, and I will let you guys know what happened, thanks.. can't wait
Unread 06-18-2011, 05:54 AM   #28
Jeepjeepthejeep

i aplogize for my noobiness but what picks are you talking about and how exactly? i was trying to change a seal in my d35 and this bolt broke im looking for the best way to get it taken care of. im a little leary of attempting the hammer method, just because we are talking about the differentials
Jeepjeepthejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #29
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Here you go - just use one of them to "finesse" the bolt out.

The ones in the pic are Craftsman, though I think I got my set from the dollar bin at the hardware store or something.

Unread 06-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #30
Jeepjeepthejeep

thank you very much!
Jeepjeepthejeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.