dana 44, pinion gear mate shaft, lock screw head broke off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > dana 44, pinion gear mate shaft, lock screw head broke off

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
tallears
1998 ZJ 

dana 44, pinion gear mate shaft, lock screw head broke off

I was going to change my rear axle bearings & seals. However while unscrewing the lock screw that holds the pinion mate shaft into the diff.case.assembly the head of the lock screw broke off. So I reinstalled it with a little locktite. My question is this??? Has anyone else had this happen or ever heard of this happening. I'm guessing that if it happened to mine it has or can happen to others. So if you attempt to do this be very careful turning that little sucker, maybe want to apply some heat. Because what was going to be an enjoyable weekend (yes enjoyable) changing my bearings now may be anything but, because if I have to ruin that diff.case.assembly digging that lock screw out of there, then I would need to buy another case $$.. Before I ruin it does anyone know how hard of a job it is putting the case assembly back in there?? Sorry for the long post but had to explain this, cause this is my next adventure, my vacation starts in 3 more weeks, and this is my baby. Thanks for any info anyone can send me.

tallears is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I just broke one yesterday...fun stuff. You can get a new one for about 5 bucks though.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product...mber=5015223AA (first google hit)

It's dealer/Crown part number 5015223aa, but it can be hard to get new. Any junkyard with ZJs and 44a axles will have them. I'd recommend scavenging them, which is what I did this morning.

I've sheared 2 of them in the 4 times my center pin has had to be removed.

The good news is, it's not high torque, and there should be no rust as long as your diff fluid level has always been good.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Very common break in every axle that uses a bolt. They make a special easy out kit with a guide for the drill and a special length bit so that you can actually reach the hole with the carrier in the axle.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Thanks fpkites, I have already purchased a new lock screw to replace the broken one..Had to buy it at a dealer but at least its brand new, I believe now that this screw must be breaking from the stress on it, it is a very thin screw for such a job it does,....Thanks ratmonkey, I was told buy a shop that handles axles,diff. etc. that they may be able to get it out of there.. I'm hoping they don't ruin the case assembly just so they can rebuild the entire diff.. and leave me with a hugh bill $$... But now that you have mentioned this special tool bit I will let them know that I know and I will go to someone who has it..I already tried to get to it and its on such an angle that you can't drill straight into it and you're at an angle, so I see why you would need a special tool, have any idea what my changes are of getting that out without ruining that case???? thanks again...
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Did you try using a pick to back it out? I was successful in doing that this weekend. I suppose to Locktite might give you some trouble now though.

Unread 06-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Well I put locktite there so the darn thing didn't back on out and ruin my entire diff. I was planning to just add a little heat to it later when I get ready to get it out of there, had to do something to hold it in there for a while, and I don't think locktite is invincible.. Not sure we're talking about the same lock screw if your talking about backing it out with a pick.???
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:54 AM   #7
justanotherjpr

If this is a D44, cant you pull the shafts and remove the carrier? Or is a C-Clip D44?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #8
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Its a dana 44 thats for sure. It has c-clips and to remove the c-clips you must remove the pinion gear mate shaft, but in order to remove the pinion gear mate shaft you must unscrew the lock screw that holds the mate shaft in there. However the head of the lock screw snapped off, leaving the entire shaft of the lock screw inside the mate shaft. Can't pull the axles out until this has been done..
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Because I have taken great care of my dana30 and dana44, changing the oil more than required, adding only Mobile1 75w 140 syn., so when you open them up and drain them theres never no metal shavings, only clean Mobile1 coming out, and new Mobile1 going back in..Tighten it all back up with my chrome bolts, frt and back..baby ready to ride

Last edited by tallears; 06-06-2011 at 09:08 AM..
Unread 06-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Pretty sure we're talking about the same pig. It's a 1/4" head, less than an inch of thread, and the rest is a pin.

It's supposed to be very low torque, but sometimes it's a bit snug. Sometimes there's enough of a rough spot you can use a pick to back it out via the threads. Just spin it counterclockwise and it will come out. That's what I had to do on Saturday and I succeeded. You probably have 1, maybe 2 threads holding the pin half in.

Unread 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #11
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

FWITW Loctite Blue breaks down at about 300* F. So when it comes time to take that bad boy out bring a torch!

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #12
tallears
1998 ZJ 

Okay, you know what I'm dealing with now. Didn't know for sure if we were on the same bolt. But thats it (thepig), you described it to a tee. And your right I do still have a small amount of thread still left on the pin. Most of the thread came off with the snapped off head. So now i will give that a try, I do have a few pick tools I bought from sears so I will give it a try, will have to wait till this weekend, I need it to get to work...thanks
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
tallears
1998 ZJ 

yeah I figured I would worry about the loctite when I get there..Like I didn't want the f###pig to come out and destroy my entire diff...anyway I have heat so no problemo...
Unread 06-06-2011, 12:54 PM   #14
tallears
1998 ZJ 

I was told by a mechanic at the diff.shop that somethings they can tack-weld a bead on it and then back it out of there..??? anyone ever here of that one. Sounds like it might work.
Unread 06-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
justanotherjpr

I tried welding one that was stripped once, didn't work. YMMV.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.