Dana 35 removal/replacement questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dana 35 removal/replacement questions

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Dana 35 removal/replacement questions

So the time has come to replace the d35 on my zj. It's been growling since I got it and it's the last major repair the rig needs before I start getting to real upgrades. My d35 has drum brakes and I'll be looking for one with discs. Will I need anything extra to make that transition work? Other than what I'll already have with the old/new axles.

And the main question, does anyone know of a write-up for the removal/installation procedure? Put a fair amount of searching in and haven't found one. I'm confident I have the experience and equipment to get it done. But being that I've never pulled an entire axle assembly before I want as much detailed information as possible before I decide to tackle the job myself. Any and all info is greatly appreciated, the information and community I've found on this forum has proven invaluable time and time again .

Darkrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any lift kit install instructions will have all the info you need about removal/install, and there should be plenty of YouTube stuff.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

This might help some, its not a swap from drum to disc, but it is a pull out,reinstall. I would check brakelines, master cylinder, balance valve ect for possible differences as well.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...build-1344601/

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

You'll need a master cylinder and proportioning valve from a 4W disc brake ZJ.
Drum brake masters & prop. valves are valved differently than all disc setups.

Also, IIRC, the ABS tone sensors are different between the two.

Also, check here:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
and select ZJ from the drop-down box in the "Online Manuals" section.

I use that almost weekly!
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #5
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
You'll need a master cylinder and proportioning valve from a 4W disc brake ZJ.
Drum brake masters & prop. valves are valved differently than all disc setups.

Also, IIRC, the ABS tone sensors are different between the two.

Also, check here:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
and select ZJ from the drop-down box in the "Online Manuals" section.

I use that almost weekly!
Yah know I had another manual database that I completely forgot about, but this one is much nicer. That's going right in the bookmarks. And I was really hoping it would be a bolt on affair. With money and time being as tight as they are I think I'll avoid going that route unless I absolutely can't find a drum axle. I really just wanted to avoid changing drum brake pads by getting a disc setup. But I can just change on the new axle before I put them in, should be a lot easier and I won't have to touch it for a while.

Side note: Just processed your username. How's the wheeling scene up there? I'll be moving roughly an hour and a 1/2 north of you from New Jersey within the next 6 months. I live in such an urban area that you can drive an hour in any direction and the people will still outnumber the trees. My offroading experience is pretty much limited to light wheeling during camping trips but I want to change that once I get out of this state.

Back on topic. After looking what I've found over, the actual axle removal/installation itself doesn't look that bad at all. Just lots of torque specs, doing things in a certain order and cam bolts. Never touched one of those before. Anything more to it then marking the location it was in before I take it off and putting it back on as close to that as possible? Other than that I'm not sure where I should be disconnecting the brake lines from the calipers. At that little union/plate where it transitions from the steel line to the rubber hose?

And Coralman you must be insane because that is an insanely detailed write up. A ton of useful information in there. If I had a garage, the time, and a second vehicle I'd probably be able to tackle that project with all the information you provide in there.
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #6
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrocker View Post

Side note: Just processed your username. How's the wheeling scene up there? I'll be moving roughly an hour and a 1/2 north of you from New Jersey within the next 6 months. I live in such an urban area that you can drive an hour in any direction and the people will still outnumber the trees. My offroading experience is pretty much limited to light wheeling during camping trips but I want to change that once I get out of this state.
The wheeling scene is "pretty good" up here. I've only been wheeling for less than a year. We have 3 "official" Off-Road Parks(and a couple more in the works IIRC), plus some of my fellow Maine 4x4 Club(maine4x4.org) members(myself included) have family land available for club supporters to wheel on.

Lots of out of staters own property in Maine, and I don't know a single one that allows any access to any land. Plus we have a lot of yahoos that don't give a damn about anyone's property that make life difficult for us respectful wheelers to find land with access.

Also, power lines in Maine are OFF LIMITS to full size rigs!! Central Maine Power Co. WILL press criminal AND civil charges on anyone caught trespassing on their right-of-ways!

You'll be in for a culture shock moving up here , you can't go anywhere in Maine where the people outnumber the trees! Maine's population is around 1 million peeps, and Maine is HUGE!!!

If you do go to the Maine 4X4 site(you'll fill out a form and when a staffer checks it, you'll get an email with an approval and a link to take you to your 30 day member account. If you like the club, the dues are only $20/yr!), hit me up, my screen name there is "1994 ZJ" . I think we have around 6 ZJ'ers out of roughly 40 club supporters. We also have about 100 non dues paying members, as well.

Do a youtube search for "Maine 4x4" and "All Wheels" and you'll get an idea of what our wheeling is like!

Where are you moving to? It's in Maine, I'm assuming?
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #7
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine1994ZJ View Post
The wheeling scene is "pretty good" up here. I've only been wheeling for less than a year. We have 3 "official" Off-Road Parks(and a couple more in the works IIRC), plus some of my fellow Maine 4x4 Club(maine4x4.org) members(myself included) have family land available for club supporters to wheel on.

Lots of out of staters own property in Maine, and I don't know a single one that allows any access to any land. Plus we have a lot of yahoos that don't give a damn about anyone's property that make life difficult for us respectful wheelers to find land with access.

Also, power lines in Maine are OFF LIMITS to full size rigs!! Central Maine Power Co. WILL press criminal AND civil charges on anyone caught trespassing on their right-of-ways!

You'll be in for a culture shock moving up here , you can't go anywhere in Maine where the people outnumber the trees! Maine's population is around 1 million peeps, and Maine is HUGE!!!

If you do go to the Maine 4X4 site(you'll fill out a form and when a staffer checks it, you'll get an email with an approval and a link to take you to your 30 day member account. If you like the club, the dues are only $20/yr!), hit me up, my screen name there is "1994 ZJ" . I think we have around 6 ZJ'ers out of roughly 40 club supporters. We also have about 100 non dues paying members, as well.

Do a youtube search for "Maine 4x4" and "All Wheels" and you'll get an idea of what our wheeling is like!

Where are you moving to? It's in Maine, I'm assuming?
Sounds like what I expected and wanted to hear. As much as I want to get out of NJ I know I'm in for a culture shock once I get up there. I hate the overcrowding here but I'm so used to something always being open 24/7 and being able to get anything I need locally. I'll check out your club, it sounds like it's right up my alley. I'm looking to get up to the Waterville/Unity area sometime after August, hopefully before the year ends. All depends how quickly I can find a descent job up there and relocate.
Unread 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

Well here's a follow up question. There's no drum axles remotely close to me that aren't already very high mileage. I'm aware of what needs to be replaced now (MC, proportioning valve and swapping over my drum abs sensors). Would there be any issue swapping over the disc prop. valve and MC while I still have the drum axle installed? That way I could I take care of all the brake hardware one day then swap the axle out on another without keeping my ZJ off the road for more than a day.
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Maine1994ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrocker View Post
Well here's a follow up question. There's no drum axles remotely close to me that aren't already very high mileage. I'm aware of what needs to be replaced now (MC, proportioning valve and swapping over my drum abs sensors). Would there be any issue swapping over the disc prop. valve and MC while I still have the drum axle installed? That way I could I take care of all the brake hardware one day then swap the axle out on another without keeping my ZJ off the road for more than a day.
You'll need to change it all at the same time, unfortunately the two systems put differing pressures to the rear.
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Darkrocker
1998 ZJ 

I see, I had read that people had gotten away with putting the discs in without changing the MC/prop. valve. I was hoping I could do the opposite. Guess it's gonna have to wait until the stars align and I get 2 days in a row off. I know it's not a 2 day job but I know my luck. Always gotta leave room for error. Thanks for the info.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.