Dana 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dana 35

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-16-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Dana 35

ok I have a stripped Dana 35 pinion gear in the rear of my zj I would hate to regear it but I will have to do something
I have a stock zj with the stock 3.73 gears

I can get a tj dana35 with 3.73 gears for $125 thats atleast half the cost of just the parts to regear my rearend

my question is will the tj rearend allmost bolt right in? I will have to change the brakes from drum to disk and I think move the shock mounts this tj rearend has 29,000 miles on it he changed it for a dana 44

I'm just trying to fix this as cheap as I can and if its changing the whole housing out for another then so be it

Unread 08-16-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

no all the brackets would need to be changed. your best bet is to get an axle out of another ZJ preferably a 44a
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

^----- ditto
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Katesdad

shouldnt be hard to find a v8 zj junked somewhere.
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #5
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Don't spend and money on a D35. Also the cost to convert a D35 from a TJ to a ZJ would be more than the axle is worth. There are a ton of 8.25s from XJs, but I don't think you would ever find one with 3:73 gears and the cost to change would be way more than the axle is worth.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

Time for a d44a swap.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
TMCXJ
1996 ZJ 

The 8.25 from an XJ will definitely not have ABS; if that's a factor, don't try it. Along with the cost of modification, it's not an option I'd recommend.
"...a long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason." Thomas Paine
TMCXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

i dont have the money nor want to at this time put a d44 into the zj
I have 3 dana44's in my yard all out of comanches the cost for the dana44 swap is $300-$400 for brackets and close to $400 for gears master install kit
and carrier then I still have to weld the brackets on and re gear it and get the abs system setup for it

I would rather spend the $600 to fix my front axle on my tj
(my ox locker came apart and chewed up my ring and pinion)

as far as that D35 in the zj I just want to fix it as cheap as posoble its just my wifes daily driver we bought it one week ago for $700 if it was somthing I was going to build for wheeling right now the it would get an 8.8 and I would be replacing the front axle with one of the high pinion D30's I have in my yard
the regearing it for 4.88's and run some 35's at the least
or I would put the High pinion D60 I have in the front and the 14boltin the rear and try to tuff 42's

a junkyard axle from a zj is atleast $200
I'm able to pick this tj dana35 for $120 so besides the changing the brakes and shock mounts what other mounts would need to be moved
the upper control arm mounts look like there the same would I need to move the lower control arm mounts or are the fine how about the coil bucket
Unread 08-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4x4 View Post
i dont have the money nor want to at this time put a d44 into the zj
I have 3 dana44's in my yard all out of comanches the cost for the dana44 swap is $300-$400 for brackets and close to $400 for gears master install kit
and carrier then I still have to weld the brackets on and re gear it and get the abs system setup for it

I would rather spend the $600 to fix my front axle on my tj
(my ox locker came apart and chewed up my ring and pinion)

as far as that D35 in the zj I just want to fix it as cheap as posoble its just my wifes daily driver we bought it one week ago for $700 if it was somthing I was going to build for wheeling right now the it would get an 8.8 and I would be replacing the front axle with one of the high pinion D30's I have in my yard
the regearing it for 4.88's and run some 35's at the least
or I would put the High pinion D60 I have in the front and the 14boltin the rear and try to tuff 42's

a junkyard axle from a zj is atleast $200
I'm able to pick this tj dana35 for $120 so besides the changing the brakes and shock mounts what other mounts would need to be moved
the upper control arm mounts look like there the same would I need to move the lower control arm mounts or are the fine how about the coil bucket
There's a difference between a D44 and a D44a. The D44a came on all V8 ZJ's from 96-98 and some I6's. A D44a is a direct bolt in for your Jeep.
Unread 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
There's a difference between a D44 and a D44a. The D44a came on all V8 ZJ's from 96-98 and some I6's. A D44a is a direct bolt in for your Jeep.
I know the difference
I just would rather put the normal D44 in it has a stronger housing and more locker options

but I like the 8.8 because it doesnt leak out of the drivers side axle seal like the D44 has a tendency to do
I have change axles and axle seals in my tj five times and it still leaks
I have also changed the housing twice and it still leaks

I am just trying to figure out what to look foward to on what brackets I will have to take my plasma cutter to and what ones can stay I will reuse the brackets to save the money
but with out the tj axle in front of me I cant tell what I will need to do
I would look at my tj but the rear axle has all custom brakets on it as it is
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
befumo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katesdad View Post
shouldnt be hard to find a v8 zj junked somewhere.
God see them everywhere. Up here its like 318-land.
befumo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #12
mr4x4
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by befumo View Post
God see them everywhere. Up here its like 318-land.
Ive seen 2 and both of them are missing the rear axle and the motor and trans along with the front clip and interior
Unread 08-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #13
sandman
1993 ZJ 

you should hold them together to see what needs to be moved. from what i can tell the only thing that will work are the uppers, but who knows. if you have a welder it really doesnt matter, if your paying someone to weld the brackets on, i stick to my original suggestion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.