Dana 30 Spartan locker axle shaft loose popping sound - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dana 30 Spartan locker axle shaft loose popping sound

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 12-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Dana 30 Spartan locker axle shaft loose popping sound

Anybody have problems after installing a Spartan locker in a stock Dana 30 with 27 spline shafts? My passenger side axle shaft seems loose, to where I'm able to wiggle it up and down a bit, and I don't think any power is going to that tire. With the car in the air I spun the front pass. tire and the driver side did not move at all, and the locker didn't make a clicking sound like it's supposed to. I'm pretty sure the locker was installed correctly, and it originally clicked when spinning the tires in opposite directions as the instructions said it should, but it doesn't do that now. There's also a slight constant pull to the right when driving, and a popping sound when turning right, sometimes its loud and violent sounding like when turning in reverse, but it's usually pretty mild but noticeable. The locker's been in for about two months, and I started noticing this problem about two weeks ago. I haven't done any real hardcore wheeling or anything with the front end banging up and down against rocks or anything like that. I don't know if its a problem with the splines where it meets the case in the dif or a ball joint problem, or something else. I guess that's why I'm askin... thanks a billion

ian_red-zj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Sounds like the passenger axle is disconnected from the locker. Check the axle CV joint. Hopefully just that is busted. If it's ok, I'd pull the diff cover and have a look asap.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
ian_red-zj
1998 ZJ 

Yep, the passenger cv joint was completely busted. All the little pieces were moving around. Upgraded to u-joints
ian_red-zj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.