Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Dana 30 Locker options

13K views 47 replies 13 participants last post by  WJ04 
#1 ·
I am through around the idea to lock my dana 30 but it is my daily driver. After I do the 242 swap and have selectable 4wd I could lock the front with out having any daily driving issues right? It seems like common sense i just want to make sure. I dont have the money for a selectable locker. But if I did engage 4wd for lets say snow or ice on the roads. Would it make it very difficult to drive? I know at slow turns the tires would chirp but is that it?

#2 ·
Lots of info on this, try a couple searches. You will lose the 4 full time by putting an auto locker in the front. I can't say whether or not it would be more manageable on snow or ice, but it has been talked about in the past, and someone else might chime in as well.

#3 ·
In 2wd you wont know its there. But depending on what kinda locker you get you will hear rather loud cluncking when turning. You get used to it but you should be warned.
It would be hard on u joints and stuff on a dry road surface but if you are on a icey road it wouldnt be undrivable or anything. actually, I dout you would even notice it on a icey road. Its been a while since i had one but the only thing i remember about it is you could feel a little pull when it locked in. I live in MI and DD a xj that was locked front and rear all winter long with no issues. It for sure wasnt better than stock but it wasnt that bad. I also had mud tires which suck in the snow.

Oh and for the record i ran a full year with a aussie in the front then i ran the next year with a aussie front and rear.

#4 ·
do not use an auto locker up front for a DD unless you plan on using only 2WD on-road. If you insist on putting a locker up front on a DD, make sure its a selectable. You will have problems with an auto locker up front on a DD in the snow/ice in 4WD, especially when going around turns - its not something you want to deal with.

Here is a nice little thread with more information:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=566737

#5 ·
well i plan on using 2wd. Pretty much 95% of the time. I mean i do live in georgia and its very rare that we get snow or something of that nature. And if i travel to go places up north. I want to be able to just kick it in to protect the girlfriend and the dog (depending on the day if its in that same order). So if i only use it on the road when its icy i wont even notice it? I plan on just going the cheap route and get a loc-rite.

#6 ·
I have the 242 and a lock-right in the rear and its great. If you want a locker in the front I would save the $$$ and get a selectable.

#9 ·
how is the road manners with the locker in the rear? Seems like it would be a pain for a dd

#10 ·
well it sounds like Ill be buying a loc-rite to put in the dana 30. I should be able to transfer the loc rite fron the lp to the hp when i do that in the future right?

#13 ·
I am going to buy my loc rite from a place called ****. They are a international provider but their store is local here. And they warranty it not matter what. As long as it looks like you installed it correctly they will. So good enough warranty for me

#14 ·
I just might get one for my 8.8 then. I know it would be alittle bit of a pain in parking lots but really it wouldnt bother me too bad. Are loc rites real hard to install? Do you need to set up your gears again when you are done?

#15 · (Edited)
If you live in GA, have the 242 and really want to lock the D30, I'd slap a LR or Aussie in there and not worry about it. I was running a LR last winter up front. We only really had 2 snows that required 4wd, and I ran the WJ in 4ft both times. I was able to drive on primary and secondary roads with it locked with no problem. As long as there was enough snow or ice on the roads to require 4wd, there was enough slip to eliminate binding.

I only had 1 time where I noticed a differnece from the locker.
Wife: "You're going too fast to turn there"
Me: "no way"
Jeep: keeps going straight with wheel turned all the way left!
Wife: gives me "the look"
Me: LOL!

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, with the locker you'll need to learn its driving characteristics and adapt your driving style.

#16 ·
well how safe/unsafe is having a loc rite in the rear in snow and rain?

#17 ·
Do you have a locker in the rear already? If not, that is the first thing you should do. There is no point having a locker solely up front in a DD.

I have a LR in the rear and it is great. Completely transparent on the road during normal driving (some noise when turning, but that is normal). Improved traction on snow, mud, and off-road. I would not be putting a LR up front on a DD, especially if it was going to be the only locker on my vehicle.

For a DD, put the LR in the rear and if you want, a selectable up front for off-road use.

#18 ·
I do not have a locker yet. My 8.8 has lsd. So it looks like I will put a locker in the 8.8 for now. then the dana 30. How hard is it install. It seems pretty easy.

#19 ·
I know some guys who have a LSD in the rear who just left it there, and instead added a selectable locker up front. Had decent on-road performance (as well as a LSD can provide) and the selectable up front added greatly to off-road performance.

However, if you are dedicated to removing the LSD and putting in a LR, they arent too hard to do (from what I've been told). Two friends of mine did it themselves in their driveway in a few hours. Guess it depends on how mechanically inclined you are.

I had a shop do mine as the shop was also regearing my vehicle at the same time.

#20 ·
nevermind i just saw a write-up on mallcrawlin. To be honest that seems entirely too easy. I saw a write up on an 8.8. Is it the same for every axle? I know you wouldnt have to do the c clip steps on some axles. But seriously I feel confident in doing this.

#23 ·
well wouldnt a full case be more more expensive. Something like 5-600 bucks

#27 ·
I've been running Aussie lockers front and rear for over 4 years on my DD WJ with 32s and 33s and love them. If I had the money back then i would probably have gone with a selectable though. I have put several lock rights in but not in a 8.8. But I have put Aussies in 8.8s. Aussie wont fit in a LS carrier. Also when you swap the carrie in to an 8.8 you will have to set the gears again too.

#29 ·
well my plan of action is to lock the rear. And I'll see how that does for me. The only reason i wanted to lock my rear first is bc on here I read something a guy posted about lockers. "I rather have two wheels pull me up the rock them two wheels to push me, bc of the risk of flipping" And you that made a good bit of sense. But I'll get a locker in the 8.8 first. Can anybody clarify that I will need to change carriers if i have lsd

#30 ·
d35 True-Trac and D30 Tru-trac Cant go wrong i currently only have the D35 tru-trac. no clutches to wear out.

#31 ·
im set i am going to put a loc rite in the rear. Im pretty dead set on that. Im just debating about the locker up front. It seems pretty safe to say if i need to use 4wd then it will be icy or really snowy and the front should act alright. I would probably rarely use it

#33 ·
thats what i plan on doing. Ill probably by it next paycheck. se how it works out. Im sure ill want more in the future and lock the front

#34 ·
Well i got to pondering today. And i asked in the past 231 vs 242. People said 242 bc its my dd. Well if i do lock the front should i go 231?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.