Dana 30 front axle bearing and seal question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Dana 30 front axle bearing and seal question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
MrJayDeeM
2002 WJ 

Dana 30 front axle bearing and seal question

My front axle been making loud humming noises for some time now. I figured to do a some what over haul with with bearings and seals along with both new axles and hub bearing. I was wondering if the master kit in this diagram number 30 is what I need?

Pinion bearing is what most likely I need to replace.

Quality Auto Paint & Body, Inc.
MrJayDeeM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

absolutley not...

everything you want is either branded (Precision Spicer or National), which can be found at rockauto.com for cheaper than the china stuff you are viewing.

piece by piece is the way to go, get all the QUALITY components individually. Besides that sites description for their items are quite vague (they don't want you to know what you are getting or the actual part number) I hate that form of trickery, the motor mount I ordered from Morris came very quick but was less than satisfied with my poorly remaned and bent motor mount (it didn't line up without cutting slots, then barely) so I ordered another from rock auto and the rubber was not sprayed over and the bracket it was mounted to was new and not a remaned unit (for a cheaper price)

Last edited by Hexonut; 02-07-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Hexonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
MrJayDeeM
2002 WJ 

I went to the website you provided me and looked it up. It's def cheaper and its spicer like you said. Get the whole kit or buy them piece by piece?

Also, off subject but I also needed heater core and blend air door as well and I looked it up and it def more cheaper on rock auto but how the quality on any of the parts though?

Last edited by MrJayDeeM; 02-07-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Unread 02-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

I do not recall if they have a kit, I would assume they do, I do like the diagrams from Morris and they give the corresponding oem part number in their description (which make it a breeze for you to shop) but you don't get that oem part you know

no ****, a bent and sprayed over RUSTY bracket with more paint on the rubber insert than the bracket itself.

once bitten...
Unread 02-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
MrJayDeeM
2002 WJ 

This is what i found from rock auto.

The kit. Bearing and seals. Made by National

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=447561

Unread 02-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
doublejz
2004 WJ 

Not sure if this is the exact one you need but here
BK D30-TJ - INSTALL,INSTALL KIT,INSTALLATION KIT,KIT,TIMKEN,TIMKEN BEARINGS,DANA,DANA SPICER,DANA SPICER,YUKON,SPICER,WRANGLER,SEAL,DANA 30,DIFFERENTIAL,SPICER 30,TJ,JEEP - Yukon Bearing install kit for Dana Spicer 30 short pinion differential with s
Unread 02-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

stick with the National, Federal Mogul being their parent company (which actually still manufactures in the US) some rubber processing we have restrictions on but not hard parts.

Timken is Asian stuff which was possibly originally Japanese but they are going thru the same thing we are here, outsourcing a lot of manufacturing to Taiwan and even the less desirable asian countries.

buy american...

Last edited by Hexonut; 02-07-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Unread 02-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJayDeeM View Post
This is what i found from rock auto.

The kit. Bearing and seals. Made by National

More Information for NATIONAL RA334TJ
looks to be right... maybe someone with a WJ can chime in here...

you could always just start with the outer pinion bearing a new seal and a new pinion nut to see if that takes the roar away.
Unread 02-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
MrJayDeeM
2002 WJ 

How is the install? How hard is it? I know the axles has to come out and the hubs as well.

Unread 02-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #10
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

if you try the most likely culprit route it is easier and quicker than tearing the whole thing down unless you need ball joints or front ujoints.

you have maybe a better than 65% chance it is that outer pinion bearing (and the parts needed are so cheap you can do it first to see if you really have to go any further) 30:min and you'll know if your have to rip out the carrier.

torquing the new pinion nut is a breeze after you read up on it a bit here is a ink I just was reading that gives a good overview.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

go for the outer pinion bearing/seal/nut first, it's worth a try... considering its location and its function right there at the driveshaft yoke and all the forces enacting on it. The crush sleeve gives the inner bearing more support or something and they seem to last like forever unless you wipe the whole show somehow.
Unread 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
MrJayDeeM
2002 WJ 

Can you direct me which part to go with from rock auto. I dont have quadra drive, just quarda trac.

Unread 02-08-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

*NATIONAL Part # M86649 - (front pinion outer bearing) $9.85
*NATIONAL Part # 710461 - (front pinion seal) $8.56

for the pinion nut you may have to head down to the local parts house (preferably a JK auto parts or one that supplies your local shops, or a dealership) I did not see just the nut by itself on rockauto, but you do want to replace this nut after you have removed it (it has threads that distort once installed to act as a lock nut) 1 use only...

you may be able to find those part numbers at the local parts house too and save you the shipping fee...
Unread 02-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

I recommend getting a Yukon master install kit. comes with new bearings (TIMKEN bearings! <-- one of the best bearings money can buy), seals, shims (which you wont need if youre just replacing bearings), bolts nuts and other misc hardware.

it was about $120 for mine and that was for an hp30. should cost about the same for a d30 found in zjs/wjs
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Hexonut
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKzj52 View Post
I recommend getting a Yukon master install kit. comes with new bearings (TIMKEN bearings! <-- one of the best bearings money can buy), seals, shims (which you wont need if youre just replacing bearings), bolts nuts and other misc hardware.

it was about $120 for mine and that was for an hp30. should cost about the same for a d30 found in zjs/wjs
he's not pulling the carrier...

what makes timken the best ?

did you know that a countries metallurgy is a direct reflection of it's advancement, American steel is the strongest because we can get most all the impurities out (because of our hi-tech processing) these impurities smelted into the product becomes a weak link.

Have you ever wondered why asian cars can not stay rust free ? even a 10yr old 4-Runner I was working on was coming apart at the seams where it was welded in spots/joints on the frame. This is a common theme I have seen and noticed over the years of working on cars.

Federal Mogul is always re-designing common failure components also (in their problem solver line)

watch James Burke "Connections" to learn about the direct relationship of a countries smelting abilities and their advancement in science and technology...

Last edited by Hexonut; 02-08-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Unread 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #15
BLACKzj52
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexonut View Post
he's not pulling the carrier...

what makes timken the best ?

did you know that a countries metallurgy is a direct reflection of it's advancement, American steel is the strongest because we can get most all the impurities out (because of our hi-tech processing) these impurities smelted into the product becomes a weak link.

Have you ever wondered why asian cars can not stay rust free ? even a 10yr old 4-Runner I was working on was coming apart at the seams where it was welded in spots/joints on the frame. This is a common theme I have seen and noticed over the years of working on cars.

Federal Mogul is always re-designing common failure components also (in their problem solver line)

watch James Burke "Connections" to learn about the direct relationship of a countries smelting abilities and their advancement in science and technology...
If he needs to replace the pinion bearings he has to remove the carrier. I think he mentioned they were bad.

Iv heard a number of great things about Timkens. Great quality, strength, and duration are some of the things I've heard about them. I also noticed when I had the bearings from my 44a and hp30 removed, they were all Timkens.

And yes, we do have the best steel Timkens are not foreign products I believe.
My Build Thead
Facebook
Senior at The Ohio State University
BLACKzj52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.