Damaged tone ring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Damaged tone ring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-28-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
hatchmt
1998 ZJ 

Damaged tone ring

Okay, so while I was replacing my U-joint on my passenger-side front axle, somehow I managed to destroy the ABS tone ring and the ABS sensor (the damaged tone ring made contact with it).

So -- right now, my ABS is dead and I have to deal with a naggy light on my dash. I can manage that, but I'd like to get this fixed. I've gone to several junk yards in the area, none of which have any Grand Cherokees that still have their front axles.

Here's my question -- is it possible to get just a replacement tone ring and press it on to my existing axle stub (yuk!), or do any of you know where I can get just a stub to replace the one I have?

A whole new axle shaft is expensive.

hatchmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

U can pull tone rings off with a bearing puller but I would go a different route.
Get just an outer D30 shaft with ABS from ZJ/XJ/TJ and they will work. You need 5-297x joint outer shaft but as far as I know all ABS shafts have 297s u-joints. Junk yard/ ebay etc will get you one

Here is my write-up with XJ shafts. E-bay is where I found them. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/u-joint-axle-shaft-overhaul-w-upgrade-416890/
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #3
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

a brand new shaft can be bought for under $100 off ebay or napa or lees
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 08:13 AM   #4
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn
a brand new shaft can be bought for under $100 off ebay or napa or lees
That makes an outer shaft cost $40-50
Unread 06-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Here they sell new outer shafts with ABS for $150 vs. $210 for the whole axle shaft. see # 25a vs. 25

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/grand_c...eModel30ZJ.htm

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.