JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   damaged ring tone (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/damaged-ring-tone-1088539/)

ZJPunk98 08-13-2010 05:30 PM

damaged ring tone
 
while rebuilding my used u-joint style axles for my dana30 i damaged my ringtone, lost a part about the size of a nickle. if i run it like this, will this mess up the ABS or possibly have bad balance issues while driving?

its not broken all the way through, just a little wedge is lost.

JrMechanic 08-13-2010 05:35 PM

Tone ring, not ring tone. The only negative effect it will have is lack of ABS.

SJZ 08-13-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 (Post 9955285)
while rebuilding my used u-joint style axles for my dana30 i damaged my ringtone, lost a part about the size of a nickle. if i run it like this, will this mess up the ABS or possibly have bad balance issues while driving?

its not broken all the way through, just a little wedge is lost.

"Ringtones" are on your iPhone.;)
Those tone rings can be removed and replaced. If you have an old axle, tap the old ring off of it & replace the one you chipped.
I doubt you'll have balance issues, but your ABS probably won't work right.

ZJPunk98 08-13-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJZ (Post 9955306)
"Ringtones" are on your iPhone.;)
Those tone rings can be removed and replaced. If you have an old axle, tap the old ring off of it & replace the one you chipped.
I doubt you'll have balance issues, but your ABS probably won't work right.

Those tone rings are replaceable? it looks fixed/one solid piece. I'llhave to look at it again.

Yardman Harry 08-13-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 (Post 9955285)
while rebuilding my used u-joint style axles for my dana30 i damaged my ringtone, lost a part about the size of a nickle. if i run it like this, will this mess up the ABS or possibly have bad balance issues while driving?

its not broken all the way through, just a little wedge is lost.


I had a few teeth missing from my tone rings once. never had a problem with them until i pulled the sensors and the axles out to do the seals. when i put the jeep back together and drove down the road, every stop the ABS kicked in.. it was kinda scary.

So when the sensor came to the part in the tone ring where the teeth were missing it thought that the wheel was locked so the ABS kicked in and I kept moving... :( I quickly replaced the tone rings and all was good...

if you have the axle out still i would replace the ring, you can use a torch and heat it up, then pop it off the axle with two pry bars... or you can use a cutting wheel on a grinder.

Yard

SJZ 08-13-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 (Post 9955361)
Those tone rings are replaceable? it looks fixed/one solid piece. I'llhave to look at it again.

Yes they are, I've done it.
Using a hammer & large punch, tap it off with alternating blows around it's circumference. No heat or grinder is needed.

ZJPunk98 08-13-2010 06:05 PM

sweet! thanks guys for the infor. where did you get your replacement tone ring? Autozone, advance, or crown?

Yardman Harry 08-13-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZJPunk98 (Post 9955439)
sweet! thanks guys for the infor. where did you get your replacement tone ring? Autozone, advance, or crown?

Might want to check the junkyards, or the dealer. I got mine from a shop, he had a bucket of them so he just gave it to me.

I also found this

ABS Tone Ring Dana 30 for 1999-2006 Wrangler TJ by Omix-ADA

But its for the TJ late models... and im not an expert if the 30s tone rings have changed over the years...

ZJPunk98 08-13-2010 06:34 PM

thanks man

jabba974 03-29-2013 11:25 PM

I have the same problem...Of course while changing u-joints I broke a chunk out of both sides....Dorman products offers a replacement part number 917-540...under $15.00....I can figure out how to get them off, but do you just tap them back on? Would heating them up make it easier to install?

jnicewan 03-29-2013 11:52 PM

Oreillys should be able to find one, at least they did around here. A tip would be to put the stub axle in a freezer or get as cold as possible then heat the ring in an oven or on stove. If done right the tone ring will almost drop right into place. If using a hammer then be very careful.

moggie99 04-01-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabba974 (Post 15217078)
.I can figure out how to get them off, but do you just tap them back on?

Yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by jabba974 (Post 15217078)
Would heating them up make it easier to install?

Not necessary

JS97ZJ 04-01-2013 10:33 AM

I did my brother-in laws Escape last year, $8 from the Ford dealer and taped the new one in place using the old cracked one as an installer tool.

Foundrydude 04-02-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS97ZJ (Post 15228235)
I did my brother-in laws Escape last year, $8 from the Ford dealer and taped the new one in place using the old cracked one as an installer tool.

That's a good idea.


They're not really a press fit, it's more like tapping a bearing race into a hub.
If a punch is used, stay close to the axle, don't get out on the edge.

amtcoupe 04-02-2013 04:58 PM

moggie99 ....are you stalking me ? :laugh: , sheesh small world or what ?

tone rings , what are you crazy yanks on about ? do you mean abs reluctor rings ?


The time now is 01:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.