This D44A sucks - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > This D44A sucks

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
ok nm i was going off the title lol.
I was wondering how much extra it would add to the cost of an 8.8 if you had to pay for the welding. Most 8.8 set ups are going to be at least a grand minus the fabrication if you can't weld so rebuilding the 44a is certainly cheaper. Enough to want to go that route over an 8.8 which is why I elected to fix mine 2 years ago instead of swapping axles. If it was worse off and the prices were closer then I would have gone with the 8.8 but an extra 400 bucks or more was convincing enough to stay with what I had at the time. Keep in mind there are always other aspects of the ZJ that need fixing as well so trying to spread the money around to as many areas that need fixing is a tricky balance and hey, you can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need.

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #32
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I was wondering how much extra it would add to the cost of an 8.8 if you had to pay for the welding. Most 8.8 set ups are going to be at least a grand minus the fabrication if you can't weld so rebuilding the 44a is certainly cheaper. Enough to want to go that route over an 8.8 which is why I elected to fix mine 2 years ago instead of swapping axles. If it was worse off and the prices were closer then I would have gone with the 8.8 but an extra 400 bucks or more was convincing enough to stay with what I had at the time. Keep in mind there are always other aspects of the ZJ that need fixing as well so trying to spread the money around to as many areas that need fixing is a tricky balance and hey, you can't always get what you want, but sometimes, you get what you need.
I get your point but the 8.8 price is a few hundred high. 8.8s can be found 3.73 all day long. 200$ for the axle and 300$ for a complete bracket kit. If you cant find the right gear ratio it would be around 1000$
Unread 11-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #33
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
I get your point but the 8.8 price is a few hundred high. 8.8s can be found 3.73 all day long. 200$ for the axle and 300$ for a complete bracket kit. If you cant find the right gear ratio it would be around 1000$
Did you look at Johns post with the price breakdown of everything? His axle was 100 bucks and he still spent 1200 not including having it welded. The brackets and axle are not the only thing you need. I wouldn't stick a used JY 8.8 under my Jeep without rebuilding it first. Might as well do a selectable locker while I'm at it as well.

With just the estimate of what his cost and adding the local shop price of 350 for labor, I'd be looking at a ball park figure of 1550 total vs. 750 to rebuild the D44a with the LSD rebuilt. Trust me I checked into all of this 2 years ago.
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #34
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Did you look at Johns post with the price breakdown of everything? His axle was 100 bucks and he still spent 1200 not including having it welded. The brackets and axle are not the only thing you need. I wouldn't stick a used JY 8.8 under my Jeep without rebuilding it first. Might as well do a selectable locker while I'm at it as well.

With just the estimate of what his cost and adding the local shop price of 350 for labor, I'd be looking at a ball park figure of 1550 total vs. 750 to rebuild the D44a with the LSD rebuilt. Trust me I checked into all of this 2 years ago.
Those numbers are insane. I feel sorry for y'all. I don't have 1550 in my suspension and axles ..with lockers
Unread 11-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #35
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Those numbers are insane. I feel sorry for y'all. I don't have 1550 in my suspension and axles ..with lockers
You probably did all of the fabrication yourself and stole the rest
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #36
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theopacific1 View Post
This big aluminum turd is really pissing me off.

My 5.9 sounds like a jet taking off.. AGAIN
when i bought the car a year and a half ago she was howling. i got her rebuild by the guy who works on my commuter turd (kia spectra aka the Mario kart). Its been about a year later and shes howling again, it took about a week to go from great to good lord thats loud. its been about 3 months and it has not got any worse. Also last month i did the nv242 swap and..... well i have been really working the rear diff out.

I have read that aluminum case stretches out over time and rebuilding it is only a bandage till you go broke or trash it.

basically what should i do cus I'm not a fan of spending 800+ every 12 months to stretch out my diff case a little.

what trucks have a cast case?
what is so special about the 44 vs the 35?
Looks like your 5.9 is mainly a street rig. Almost any 44A you get out of a jy at this point will be worn. Since the housing has wear issues, not a good idea to use these any more. Go find a low mileage wrecked Explorer w/an 8.8, 3.73 gears, LSD and disc brakes, clean it up or have it rebuilt and mount under your rig. It will stand up to the 5.9 and will last you until the rest of the rig fails for around the same $800 you'll pay to fix a 44A

A new 44A would be fine but good luck finding one for less than several thousand

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:06 AM   #37
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Here's another reason an aluminum housing sucks....
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/pts/4155236800.html
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Did you do all the welding yourself?
I had a friend with a shop weld it for me since he was in the slow season. Wanted $70 for the welding including welding the tubes.....I gave him double because his wife was 8 mos preg & they needed the $ for the baby.

I however welded the spring plates on with the mig at work during mock up, pre bed lining & sand blasting.
Unread 11-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #39
sanktheboat

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
"Axle has great articulation."

Nice.
sanktheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #40
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.