This D44A sucks - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > This D44A sucks

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Reply
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
theopacific1
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 71
This D44A sucks

This big aluminum turd is really pissing me off.

My 5.9 sounds like a jet taking off.. AGAIN
when i bought the car a year and a half ago she was howling. i got her rebuild by the guy who works on my commuter turd (kia spectra aka the Mario kart). Its been about a year later and shes howling again, it took about a week to go from great to good lord thats loud. its been about 3 months and it has not got any worse. Also last month i did the nv242 swap and..... well i have been really working the rear diff out.

I have read that aluminum case stretches out over time and rebuilding it is only a bandage till you go broke or trash it.

basically what should i do cus I'm not a fan of spending 800+ every 12 months to stretch out my diff case a little.

what trucks have a cast case?
what is so special about the 44 vs the 35?

theopacific1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #2
CatSplat
Derp.
 
CatSplat's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,214
The D44A ain't the greatest axle ever built, but only a year out of a diff rebuild? That makes me think "poor setup job" right off the bat, honestly.
__________________
1994 5.9L ZJ, retrofitted UC package, NP242 swap, 17" JK Moabs with 32" BFG MT KM's.
The Jeep of Theseus
CatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
theopacific1
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
The D44A ain't the greatest axle ever built, but only a year out of a diff rebuild? That makes me think "poor setup job" right off the bat, honestly.

very posible,
so you think if i have a good axle shop to it i will get i few year out of it?
theopacific1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
Candymancan
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,805
The 5.2's from 96+ had the 44 irons... and the reason why a 44 is better then a 35 is the 44 is a stronger axle.
__________________
2013 6.2 V8 Camaro SS 4k miles
1998 5.9 V8 ZJ 160k miles
1998 4.0 I6 Laredo ZJ 210k miles
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
zj97ltd
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cape Coral, FLORIDA
Posts: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
The 5.2's from 96+ had the 44 irons... and the reason why a 44 is better then a 35 is the 44 is a stronger axle.
Iron diff 44's in 96+??? I'm not so sure about that...
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,140
All 96+ 5.2s have a D44A. The axle is notorious for eating up pinion bearings. All in all, if you truss it, it's a really strong axle. The ring and pinion are as big as a D60. The biggest drawback to the D44A is the lack of aftermarket support. I haven't made up my mind on what I'll do when mine finally bites the dust. I'll probably have it rebuilt. I've purchased an Aussie for it and had a buddy help me fabricate a custom skid plate for it. I've got a little bit of money invested in it.
__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Posts: 3,584
All zj's with 44's had the aluminum pumpkin. At least the ones made here in the states.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,036
It's possible that your 44a is just warped for some reason. Maybe excessive heat or off roading. That does happen. If that's the case then it's done. It's also possible that you had a bad rebuild job. I had mine rebuilt about two years ago by a good shop that only does drivelines and it's still nice and quiet.

It's strange how some go bad while other don't. I have a buddy with 33's and heavy rims that beats the piss out of his on the rocks out west and has never had an issue. He even jacks his up from the pumpkin. Then I know people who have never taken theirs off road and the 44a went bad just from driving it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #9
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
All zj's with 44's had the aluminum pumpkin. At least the ones made here in the states.
I think only the South American ZJ's got the iron 44's.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler
 
JohnnyZJ's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,256
the aluminum housings flex out and 'warp' so the races won't sit flush in the housing/carrier. you can rebuild it 100x and if its warped it won't ever sit right again and will eat bearings. some people seem to get lucky and are able to rebuild it the first time and it fixes it. but most dont'. then its just a paperweight.

all V8 ZJs came with the D44a. its garbage, i rank it the same strength as a D35. both axles have weak points and after throwing money at either axle it will hold up to most stuff. (aka, the D44a you end up trussing it it might be ok. the D35 you run chromo shafts and a truss and it will be just fine) both stock suck. the weak link on both diffs is the weak tubes flex. in the D35 it breaks axleshafts, and in the d44a it flexes the housing so bearings never sit flush again. one is fixable, one isn't. truss the diff and it will fix it.

the only person who will tell you a D44a is a better axle is someone who is running it...... i've had the d44a, the d35 and an 8.8. i would take the d35 and 8.8 over the 44a anytime.
put it this way; how many threads do you see here about shot D44as? theres one every week. the only ones about D35s are broken axles. which is easy fix.

but i'm just a cranky old jeep guy who hates stock jeep diffs. lol.

if you're sick of that D44a just hit a junkyard and get another diff. D44a, D35 whatever. if its just for street driving its all the same. if you wheel it i would consider an 8.8 or a ford 9" swap
__________________
92 YJ ~ locked/33" swampers
05' WK Hemi limited ~ wifey mobile
13' Chevy Cruze ~ boo
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Posts: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I think only the South American ZJ's got the iron 44's.
I want one. Or at least id like to see one in person and check it out, I think itd be neat.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
riot1987
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Posts: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
the aluminum housings flex out and 'warp' so the races won't sit flush in the housing/carrier. you can rebuild it 100x and if its warped it won't ever sit right again and will eat bearings. some people seem to get lucky and are able to rebuild it the first time and it fixes it. but most dont'. then its just a paperweight.

all V8 ZJs came with the D44a. its garbage, i rank it the same strength as a D35. both axles have weak points and after throwing money at either axle it will hold up to most stuff. (aka, the D44a you end up trussing it it might be ok. the D35 you run chromo shafts and a truss and it will be just fine) both stock suck. the weak link on both diffs is the weak tubes flex. in the D35 it breaks axleshafts, and in the d44a it flexes the housing so bearings never sit flush again. one is fixable, one isn't. truss the diff and it will fix it.

the only person who will tell you a D44a is a better axle is someone who is running it...... i've had the d44a, the d35 and an 8.8. i would take the d35 and 8.8 over the 44a anytime.
put it this way; how many threads do you see here about shot D44as? theres one every week. the only ones about D35s are broken axles. which is easy fix.

but i'm just a cranky old jeep guy who hates stock jeep diffs. lol.

if you're sick of that D44a just hit a junkyard and get another diff. D44a, D35 whatever. if its just for street driving its all the same. if you wheel it i would consider an 8.8 or a ford 9" swap

I was going to say the same thing. If it just staying on the road and its easier/cheaper to get ahold of, a D35 would bolt up/hold up just fine.

OP it sounds to like, as stated, you have either a warped axle for whatever reason or, the shop did a bad job last time you took it in.
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/riots-97-grand-1436100/

Build thread^^
riot1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #13
Candymancan
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,805
Oh I thought only a niner has the A.. Guess maybe I was thinking of them coming stock with LSD
__________________
2013 6.2 V8 Camaro SS 4k miles
1998 5.9 V8 ZJ 160k miles
1998 4.0 I6 Laredo ZJ 210k miles
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #14
darkhelmet
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Johns Creek, ga
Posts: 130
If you are spending 800+ on rebuilding a 44a... stop and use that money on an 8.8 swap.
__________________
98 Grand Cherokee 5.2l converting to a cheap trail rig
http://video.adultswim.com/robot-chicken/our-newest-member-calvin.html
ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
darkhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
speedbucket
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,556
8.8 swap for sure if you wheel. last 44a i did i went crazy with a spring punch on the housing where the races sit, and on the back of the races to ad some more friction, that one drove cross country and is still going strong
__________________
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/speedbuckets-zj-build-1361322/
V8 zj at 6" . Double tri rear and true 3 link front. Stretched to 108"
speedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.