JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   This D44A sucks (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d44a-sucks-1789417/)

theopacific1 11-13-2013 10:21 PM

This D44A sucks
 
This big aluminum turd is really pissing me off.

My 5.9 sounds like a jet taking off.. AGAIN
when i bought the car a year and a half ago she was howling. i got her rebuild by the guy who works on my commuter turd (kia spectra aka the Mario kart). Its been about a year later and shes howling again, it took about a week to go from great to good lord thats loud. :thumbdown: its been about 3 months and it has not got any worse. Also last month i did the nv242 swap and..... well i have been really working the rear diff out.

I have read that aluminum case stretches out over time and rebuilding it is only a bandage till you go broke or trash it.

basically what should i do cus I'm not a fan of spending 800+ every 12 months to stretch out my diff case a little.

what trucks have a cast case?
what is so special about the 44 vs the 35?

CatSplat 11-13-2013 11:00 PM

The D44A ain't the greatest axle ever built, but only a year out of a diff rebuild? That makes me think "poor setup job" right off the bat, honestly.

theopacific1 11-13-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatSplat (Post 17691113)
The D44A ain't the greatest axle ever built, but only a year out of a diff rebuild? That makes me think "poor setup job" right off the bat, honestly.


very posible,
so you think if i have a good axle shop to it i will get i few year out of it?

Candymancan 11-14-2013 02:27 AM

The 5.2's from 96+ had the 44 irons... and the reason why a 44 is better then a 35 is the 44 is a stronger axle.

zj97ltd 11-14-2013 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candymancan (Post 17692449)
The 5.2's from 96+ had the 44 irons... and the reason why a 44 is better then a 35 is the 44 is a stronger axle.

Iron diff 44's in 96+??? I'm not so sure about that...

ejschultz 11-14-2013 04:24 AM

All 96+ 5.2s have a D44A. The axle is notorious for eating up pinion bearings. All in all, if you truss it, it's a really strong axle. The ring and pinion are as big as a D60. The biggest drawback to the D44A is the lack of aftermarket support. I haven't made up my mind on what I'll do when mine finally bites the dust. I'll probably have it rebuilt. I've purchased an Aussie for it and had a buddy help me fabricate a custom skid plate for it. I've got a little bit of money invested in it.

riot1987 11-14-2013 06:34 AM

All zj's with 44's had the aluminum pumpkin. At least the ones made here in the states.

PolkaPower 11-14-2013 08:41 AM

It's possible that your 44a is just warped for some reason. Maybe excessive heat or off roading. That does happen. If that's the case then it's done. It's also possible that you had a bad rebuild job. I had mine rebuilt about two years ago by a good shop that only does drivelines and it's still nice and quiet.

It's strange how some go bad while other don't. I have a buddy with 33's and heavy rims that beats the piss out of his on the rocks out west and has never had an issue. He even jacks his up from the pumpkin. Then I know people who have never taken theirs off road and the 44a went bad just from driving it.

PolkaPower 11-14-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riot1987 (Post 17694329)
All zj's with 44's had the aluminum pumpkin. At least the ones made here in the states.

I think only the South American ZJ's got the iron 44's.

JohnnyZJ 11-14-2013 09:31 AM

the aluminum housings flex out and 'warp' so the races won't sit flush in the housing/carrier. you can rebuild it 100x and if its warped it won't ever sit right again and will eat bearings. some people seem to get lucky and are able to rebuild it the first time and it fixes it. but most dont'. then its just a paperweight.

all V8 ZJs came with the D44a. its garbage, i rank it the same strength as a D35. both axles have weak points and after throwing money at either axle it will hold up to most stuff. (aka, the D44a you end up trussing it it might be ok. the D35 you run chromo shafts and a truss and it will be just fine) both stock suck. the weak link on both diffs is the weak tubes flex. in the D35 it breaks axleshafts, and in the d44a it flexes the housing so bearings never sit flush again. one is fixable, one isn't. truss the diff and it will fix it.

the only person who will tell you a D44a is a better axle is someone who is running it...... i've had the d44a, the d35 and an 8.8. i would take the d35 and 8.8 over the 44a anytime.
put it this way; how many threads do you see here about shot D44as? theres one every week. the only ones about D35s are broken axles. which is easy fix.

but i'm just a cranky old jeep guy who hates stock jeep diffs. lol.

if you're sick of that D44a just hit a junkyard and get another diff. D44a, D35 whatever. if its just for street driving its all the same. if you wheel it i would consider an 8.8 or a ford 9" swap

riot1987 11-14-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolkaPower (Post 17697097)
I think only the South American ZJ's got the iron 44's.

I want one. Or at least id like to see one in person and check it out, I think itd be neat.

riot1987 11-14-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ (Post 17698617)
the aluminum housings flex out and 'warp' so the races won't sit flush in the housing/carrier. you can rebuild it 100x and if its warped it won't ever sit right again and will eat bearings. some people seem to get lucky and are able to rebuild it the first time and it fixes it. but most dont'. then its just a paperweight.

all V8 ZJs came with the D44a. its garbage, i rank it the same strength as a D35. both axles have weak points and after throwing money at either axle it will hold up to most stuff. (aka, the D44a you end up trussing it it might be ok. the D35 you run chromo shafts and a truss and it will be just fine) both stock suck. the weak link on both diffs is the weak tubes flex. in the D35 it breaks axleshafts, and in the d44a it flexes the housing so bearings never sit flush again. one is fixable, one isn't. truss the diff and it will fix it.

the only person who will tell you a D44a is a better axle is someone who is running it...... i've had the d44a, the d35 and an 8.8. i would take the d35 and 8.8 over the 44a anytime.
put it this way; how many threads do you see here about shot D44as? theres one every week. the only ones about D35s are broken axles. which is easy fix.

but i'm just a cranky old jeep guy who hates stock jeep diffs. lol.

if you're sick of that D44a just hit a junkyard and get another diff. D44a, D35 whatever. if its just for street driving its all the same. if you wheel it i would consider an 8.8 or a ford 9" swap


I was going to say the same thing. If it just staying on the road and its easier/cheaper to get ahold of, a D35 would bolt up/hold up just fine.

OP it sounds to like, as stated, you have either a warped axle for whatever reason or, the shop did a bad job last time you took it in.

Candymancan 11-15-2013 12:06 PM

Oh I thought only a niner has the A.. Guess maybe I was thinking of them coming stock with LSD

darkhelmet 11-19-2013 10:14 AM

If you are spending 800+ on rebuilding a 44a... stop and use that money on an 8.8 swap.

speedbucket 11-19-2013 12:46 PM

8.8 swap for sure if you wheel. last 44a i did i went crazy with a spring punch on the housing where the races sit, and on the back of the races to ad some more friction, that one drove cross country and is still going strong


The time now is 09:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.