Cylinder head rebuild - how far do you go? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Cylinder head rebuild - how far do you go?

In another thread, I've asked about pointers for changing the valve stem seals (I have smoke on startup and idle). I'm now thinking that if the new seals do fix the problem, I might go for a full cylinder head rebuild, because I have a lot of valvetrain noise. If the seals don't fix it, then I'm going to be looking for a new ZJ.

I'm currently investigating how much a rebuild would cost over here - I don't have the time, tools or facilities to do it myself - but I'm also thinking, how far do you go beyond just the head? If you've got the head off for rebuild then you should presumably replace the lifters and check the camshaft for wear, and if it's worn then you need to pull the timing chain to replace it, and so you might as well replace the chain too... suddenly it's all becoming a much bigger job with a much bigger parts bill!

A lot to think about...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 PM
aksz71

If thats the only problem just valve seals. Just take head off take it to machine shop have them check it and replace seals. And slap it back on unless you just want to to do the other stuff imo
post #3 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if you do the valves, do the rings too. if you only do one, the other always goes out within a few thousand miles.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Somebody else pointed out that if the valve seals are leaking then it's likely that the valve guides are worn. Since it's a near-20-year-old engine, I'm going to replace the seals myself, and then if they fix the smoke problem, I'm tempted to go for the full top-end rebuild. If they don't, that points to much more serious wear problems, and the figures just don't add up for rebuilding or replacing the entire engine when compared to what I could pay for a younger V8 ZJ in better cosmetic condition than my 4.0L.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
AVR2
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
if you do the valves, do the rings too
If it gets to the stage of needing the piston rings replaced, the money just doesn't make sense, especially since my transmission will probably also need a rebuild before too long. I'd rather go out and buy myself a late-model V8 ZJ, they are pretty cheap around here.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Check out full rebuild kits on ebay. Well Theres several things you can think about. Replaceing the lifters Doesnt mean you have to replace the cam. Replace the seals check the springs. If your takeing the head off Dont bother replaceing the valves clean them up sand the crap off them clean the valve seats up. Well enless one is bent or cracked. Clean the pushrods again look for bends wear cracks. Spray carb cleaner through them to clean them out. Most of the time the noise comes from worn lifters. Look at the cam any scratches or digs?. Chances are the cams fine you would know it if it wasnt. When the car warms up to 210 Whats your oil pressure? If its at 40 your okay. If the cam is going to wear anywhere its around the bearings. As the bearings wear down the clearences widen. Thus allowing oil to pass easy lowwering oil pressure. Your really not looking at that much of a bill. 40$ for the head gasket kit comes with the gaskets and valve seals. 80$ for the lifters maybe less. may have to buy the lifter tool if you cant rent it. Everything else is sockets and wrenches. You dont have to remove the fuel line to remove the injectors or rail just tie them to the hood hanging. 4.0 is an easy inline motor. Its a good beginer. Just remember to rotate the crank to where it tells you to in the book. The only other tool you may need is a torque wrench. You will be suprised when your done. Nothing to worry about. How many miles do you have?
post #7 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

Inline motors are so simple wait until you have to rebuild a 5.9 or a newer 4.7. The newer the engine the more of the pita it is to fix.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 03:39 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The LA motors have been around since 64 and the Magnum LA has been around since 92. 318 and 360 are the same block.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

If you want to rebuild the head and keep driving the Jeep, do what I did in the link in my siggy - go to the junkyard, pull a head, and rebuild it. Then it's only a matter of swapping the head, which can be done in a weekend taking your time.

You need a drill to lap the valves, a spring compressor, a torque wrench, a brass brush for carbon removal, a bunch of basic hand tools like wrenches and sockets, and a few cans of brake cleaner. All the tools can be bought cheaply at harbor freight.

Check out my link to see just how easy it is. You don't have to go as far as I did, grinding all the sand castings down. You can take the head apart and scrub it in a large tub with kerosene. Or take it to the carwash

My cylinder head overhaul:
My transmission overhaul: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/how-change-transmission-electronics-1560948/
post #10 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Kevinyj95
1995 ZJ 

I wasnt refering to the 5.9 being newer. I was refering to it being more complicated than a inline engine (2.5) (4.0). The 4.7 was what I was refering to be the newer pita. I love the 5.2s and the 5.9s. The 4.7s are a pita my wife has a durango I just did the lifters. So much brittle plastic. So much to remove just to take off the valve covers.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 05:06 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinyj95 View Post
I wasnt refering to the 5.9 being newer. I was refering to it being more complicated than a inline engine (2.5) (4.0). The 4.7 was what I was refering to be the newer pita. I love the 5.2s and the 5.9s. The 4.7s are a pita my wife has a durango I just did the lifters. So much brittle plastic. So much to remove just to take off the valve covers.
the v8 magnum is a bit more time consuming, but definitely not more complicated by any means.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.