CV vs U joint axle shafts - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CV vs U joint axle shafts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #16
BLacher
1998 ZJ 

I have 98, no c-clips. I don't think they use c-clips in front axles at all, but could be wrong...

BLacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

You can buy an entire axle shaft with the CV joint and the boot installed at RockAuto for just over $40. The failure mode is usually caused by the boot ripping open and all the grease leaving the joint.

One tip, loosen the 36mm nut before you jack up the Jeep and take off the wheels (Provided you have a large enough center hole in your wheels.)
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
..... remember reading that some XJs came with bigger u joint on the axle shafts? if so, which ones was it? id love to upgrade from stock ZJ ones if the XJs are better.
5-297 are the larger u-joints. Vacuum disconnect axles have the smaller 5-260 u-joints. No TJ, XJ, or ZJ D30 uses C-clips

XJ D30 U-joints
u-joints-d-30.jpg  

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #19
KranMan

when removeing the unit bearings the the three 12 point bolts are normally rusted in there pretty good ive always heated them up its that bad for them? im not talking about super excesive heat going wild in there with a torch but doing it with some care and when reinstalling the unit bearing when you tighten the 35/36mm nut is there any proper way to do it such as spinning the bearing while tightening then loosening an retightening while spinning the bearing?
KranMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #20
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Soak down the bolts with some PB blaster or other good penetrant oil and be sure to hit both ends of the bolt. The tip of the bolt actually sticks though the threaded hole in the unit bearing and rusts. But I've always been able to unbolt them this way with no problems. Getting the unit bearing out of the knuckle, however, is a whole new problem. There is a method using the steering system to push the assembly out described here: http://stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbear...tbearing-1.htm and this usually works on all but the worst stucks. I have had to use a chisel to get out some badly rusted ones.

When you reinstall it, there is no need to spin it, just torque it down. You will most likely need to have the Jeep on the wheels on the ground to get it to hold in place while you torque it.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I've never had to heat the knuckles, just breaker bar and pb blaster.

I'm not in the rust belt though

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.