CV vs U joint axle shafts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CV vs U joint axle shafts

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

CV vs U joint axle shafts

whats better? cv axle shafts or u joint axle shafts?

Unread 04-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Define "better" ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

what would be best suited for a DD/ weekend wheeler? i have cvs right now but im swapping my front axle soon and im wondering if i should keep the u joint shafts that are coming with the new axle, or just keep my cvs and sell the u joint ones?
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

U-joints are stronger than CV joints, and u-joints are replaceable. CV joints run a little bit smoother, which is desirable for Full-Time 4x4 equipped Jeeps. Given a choice, most off-road users would probably choose to have u-joints.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

excellent. i will swap to the u joint style shafts, because i dont think i will use full time 4x4 much. it doesnt snow here and we dont get too much rain, so the only 4x4 modes i would be using is part time and low.

i seem to remember reading that some XJs came with bigger u joint on the axle shafts? if so, which ones was it? id love to upgrade from stock ZJ ones if the XJs are better.
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

CV's are plenty strong, the only advantage on the axles is that you have a chance of repairing the shaft on the trail.

I'm not a fan, for dd uses I keep cvs on both jeeps. I love full time 4wd, even on dry pavement there is a difference in handling for the better.

Maybe I'll change my tune after I snap a shaft on the trail, maybe.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

One of my CV's let go on me yesterday. I wasn't even wheeling either, just turning to back into my parking spot :'(

Luckily, I got it on camera (in jeep cam)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
...so assuming your Jeep is right-side-up you should be ok.
Chris_W_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I ran CVs even with the crate 5.9. It's what you want to run. Most run CVs and never have and issue with them.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
CV's are plenty strong, the only advantage on the axles is that you have a chance of repairing the shaft on the trail.

I'm not a fan, for dd uses I keep cvs on both jeeps. I love full time 4wd, even on dry pavement there is a difference in handling for the better.

Maybe I'll change my tune after I snap a shaft on the trail, maybe.
Doin a swap on the trail isn't bad (happened to me last year). I didn't know s*** about how to pull it out but was with a great group of guys and we stopped and pulled out the shaft and then I drove/got pulled out in 3wd But at least I made it out. Mine is a AT-4wd so I like the cv's since it's my dd. I am going to start wheeling more so maybe I'll end up swapping them after i break 3 or 4 cv's lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_2k5 View Post
One of my CV's let go on me yesterday. I wasn't even wheeling either, just turning to back into my parking spot :'(

Luckily, I got it on camera (in jeep cam)
oh the familiar sounds lol
Unread 04-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #10
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

After pulling myself together I decided to go see what kind of scraps I could find and what it looked like underneath

It's a 96 ZJ limited. Would anyone be able to tell me if I'm going to find C-clips, or will I just be able to slide the axle shaft out?

Quote:
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

mine didn't have a c-clip...pop the wheel, brake assembly and hub off and slid the shaft right out....heard that some do/passenger side (mine was on the drive side) but Idk for sure.
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

Guess I'll have to find out when I do it. Gotta wait for the part to come in though. The part store didn't have any in stock. Stuck at home till Monday.

Quote:
Unread 04-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_2k5 View Post
Guess I'll have to find out when I do it. Gotta wait for the part to come in though. The part store didn't have any in stock. Stuck at home till Monday.
Just a friendly reminded, don't drive it til you at least see if you can pull the shaft (seriously pull the hub and if the shaft doesn't come out with relative ease, well someone else is gonna have to chime in). Don't wnat to mess up the spider gears or anything.
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:34 PM   #14
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ujoints, bigggest issue is peopke buy a zj anf the cv shafts r almost pooched anyway so they temd to go. Out nee ones in Im sure they are fine. But when cv joints go it sucks ujoints r easy to replace.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #15
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

It's pretty easy to swap the cv shaft.

Pop the wheel off, pull the caliper off the knuckle (2x13mm bolts), pull the rotor off (falls off after the caliper is off), pull the cv shaft nut (35 or 36mm, factory is 36 but many aftermarket are 35), pull the three hub bolts (funny 12pt heads), may have to pull the abs sensor to get the shaft out, but it just pulls out.

Be careful putting the new shaft in not to damage the oil seals at the diff.

Reverse puts it back together. Knuckle to hub bolts get 75 ft lbs, axle nut gets 175 ft lbs.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.