CV shafts going bad - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CV shafts going bad

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #16
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

O'reilly's swapped me straight for a new breaker bar, picked up a ryobi 18V lithium impact wrench and I'm gonna see if that will work, I don't have compressed air at home and the compressor is dead in my building at work. 200ftlbs should get me somewhere.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #17
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
O'reilly's swapped me straight for a new breaker bar, picked up a ryobi 18V lithium impact wrench and I'm gonna see if that will work, I don't have compressed air at home and the compressor is dead in my building at work. 200ftlbs should get me somewhere.
200ft lbs is not an impact wrench, hopefully the breaker bar works for you. Might want to try heating the nut with a propane/Map torch for a bit to loosen up the crud and rust.

Decent 1/2" impact is 600-700 ft lbs lbs in reverse
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Got the nuts off by using the impact wrench to shake things up (hit it in forward, hit it in reverse) and then the 4ft pipe on the breaker bar. One shaft is out and the new one going in, other side is next. I'm hoping that will fix most of the vibration and clunking from the front end, but I'm betting there it more. I know the steering is off center after I sheared the track bar, what should I look for in trying to fix that, anything else I should check?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Well my punk *** can't read. I got all the tools I needed to take the thing apart (I lucked out and already own a 12pt socket set) but I didn't check if I had everything to put it back together!

My leetle torque wrench only does 80 ft/lbs and I didn't realize I needed a bigger one till after 9:30pm.

So it's sitting on the wheels with the center caps off so I can go grab a torque wrench, torque em down, pop the wheels off, install the cotter pins, put the wheels back on, and go to work, all by 9am. Good grief.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:23 PM   #20
MustangFX93
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Well my punk *** can't read. I got all the tools I needed to take the thing apart (I lucked out and already own a 12pt socket set) but I didn't check if I had everything to put it back together!

My leetle torque wrench only does 80 ft/lbs and I didn't realize I needed a bigger one till after 9:30pm.

So it's sitting on the wheels with the center caps off so I can go grab a torque wrench, torque em down, pop the wheels off, install the cotter pins, put the wheels back on, and go to work, all by 9am. Good grief.
The Jeep life is good, yeah?
MustangFX93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Yeh, got all that done, looked like I was gonna get to work on time, got on the highway and got it up to 50mph and it near shook itself to bits, something on the right of the front axle is hosed. Totally undrivable now.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #22
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Good thing i weigh close to 300lbs.. Jumping up and down on my 28 inch breaker bar for like 5 minutes broke the axle nut loose lol. If you think that this part is hard.. Imagine trying to remove a rusted on wheel bearing ? You live in Cali so you might not have rust problems.. Me on the other hand lol i got all 3 bolts out fairly easily but the wheel bearing was like welded on from rust and time... What I did was buy 2 cheap bolts threaded them in part way and bang the ends with a big hammer and eventually it pushed the bearing out..

Make sure you properly torque the axle nut back on, i believe its suppose to be 175ft lbs or something

Some pics of when i did mine last year, notice the torn boot and rust shavings all over the ground haha

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.