CV shafts going bad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CV shafts going bad

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

CV shafts going bad

So I'm 98% sure that the annoying clunk pop and vibrations from the front end on my 96 are the CV shafts going bad.

All of my wages are reserved for the bill when my mechanic gets done putting a new engine and trans in the niner.

So what are the risks running around with bad cv's? How hard is it to replace myself and how much are the parts? My mechanic said it would be "under $500" to get it done, is that reasonable?

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

You can replace the axle CVS in under two hours as a first timer from a write up in the faqs section. Cost for you is under two hundred.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:32 AM   #3
Mlarv
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
So I'm 98% sure that the annoying clunk pop and vibrations from the front end on my 96 are the CV shafts going bad.

All of my wages are reserved for the bill when my mechanic gets done putting a new engine and trans in the niner.

So what are the risks running around with bad cv's? How hard is it to replace myself and how much are the parts? My mechanic said it would be "under $500" to get it done, is that reasonable?
I am doing mine this weekend I bought both of them from Amazon for $90 plus shipping. I got the CV and axle shaft for that price. There is a great write up on here on how to do it. I am also replacing the wheel bearing at the same time just because I am pulling them apart the wheel bearing assemble are $34 a piece cheap insurance as far as I am concerned.
Here is the link to the write up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/...sembly-377533/
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The gods have decided I'm doing this tonight and tomorrow, any difference in quality of the shafts on the market? I tend to like o'reilly after having a really good customer service experience with them. Quadratech has them for $200 a side and from o'reilly they're $60, what gives?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 02-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
Mlarv
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov
The gods have decided I'm doing this tonight and tomorrow, any difference in quality of the shafts on the market? I tend to like o'reilly after having a really good customer service experience with them. Quadratech has them for $200 a side and from o'reilly they're $60, what gives?
I guess I am a cheap person, if you are not doing much 4 wheeling whit it or raising it the the $60 should be fine.
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Front cv shafts are $65 a piece from O'reilly. If you are going to drive a 17 year old vehicle then it is time to learn to operate a wrench. You can replace the shaft in about 30 minutes, less if the unit bearings are in a cooperating mood. The $65 shafts come with a lifetime warranty, so if they break or the boot tears then they give you a new one.
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Yeh, I'm learning to turn a wrench, haven't yet done something that much on the driveline though. Read the walkthrough and it doesn't look so bad.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 02-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
minimika2008
1998 ZJ 

Yea its not bad! I did mine last weekend and mine was popping when turning ect...then all of a sudden it was done for...took about 2 hours and not much effort at all...the whole pre assembled part and everything was 63 bucks and mine is driving great....well was until today when it got a new unrelated problem...but id do it myself!!! its not hard even for a beginner!

and the only reason mine took 2 hours is my jeep is real rusty and we had to heat bolts with a torch to break them free...you should have no problem good luck!
minimika2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #9
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Well we fixed the trackbar that I sheared this morning and then we went on to do the axles. When I was at o'reilly I grabbed a 35mm socket for my 1/2 breaking bar. Both of the new shafts have 35mm nuts, the passenger side shaft on the jeep has a 35mm nut, but the driver side shaft is 36mm! What gives? We figured 1 shaft was better than none, so we hit it with some PBS blaster, stood on the brakes, threw a pipe over the breaking bar, heaved to, and SNAP!

Broke the breaking bar, damn.

image-2662514682.jpg

Gave up, gonna hit o'reillys again tomorrow for a 36mm and a new breaking bar, then I will finally be free of the clunks.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #10
big_rudy101
1996 ZJ 

Oh yeah, I just replaced my cv shaft the other day. I got a good deal on one from work. (Advanced Auto) Took me about 40 minutes. No clunks since
Unread 02-09-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gave up, gonna hit o'reillys again tomorrow for a 36mm and a new breaking bar, then I will finally be free of the clunks.
Time to invest in an impact wrench. What brand breaker bar was that?

www.oldjeep.com My site
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #12
MustangFX93
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Well we fixed the trackbar that I sheared this morning and then we went on to do the axles. When I was at o'reilly I grabbed a 35mm socket for my 1/2 breaking bar. Both of the new shafts have 35mm nuts, the passenger side shaft on the jeep has a 35mm nut, but the driver side shaft is 36mm! What gives? We figured 1 shaft was better than none, so we hit it with some PBS blaster, stood on the brakes, threw a pipe over the breaking bar, heaved to, and SNAP!

Broke the breaking bar, damn.

You're not the only one that broke a half inch breaker bar trying to get the nut off. An impact wrench wouldn't even budge it! My Dad and I ended up ordering a 3/4 inch breaker bar to get it off, thankfully that worked.

kg6mov, Be careful not to strip your hub/bearing assembly bolts trying to get them off if you end up doing this yourself. Mine were rusted and stuck so I ended up cutting the ball joints and removing the entire steering knuckle with the hub/bearing assembly just to replace that stupid cv axle-shaft.
MustangFX93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Agreed. Do it your self it'll save you a boat load. It cost me $100 for parts and I did the rest. Good learning experience too. I just used a breaker bar and a Torque wrench.

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangFX93 View Post
You're not the only one that broke a half inch breaker bar trying to get the nut off. An impact wrench wouldn't even budge it! My Dad and I ended up ordering a 3/4 inch breaker bar to get it off, thankfully that worked.

kg6mov, Be careful not to strip your hub/bearing assembly bolts trying to get them off if you end up doing this yourself. Mine were rusted and stuck so I ended up cutting the ball joints and removing the entire steering knuckle with the hub/bearing assembly just to replace that stupid cv axle-shaft.
What kind of impact wrench are you using? There is no way that you are going to budge something by hand that you can't get off with a decent impact?

www.oldjeep.com My site
Unread 02-09-2013, 06:34 PM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the cheap aftermarket axles have the 35mm nut, the factory axles used 36mm.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.