Cv shaft passenger side - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cv shaft passenger side

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-22-2013, 01:16 PM   #31
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

recycle? some companies have a core when you buy them online so you can send back the broken for them to do remans on. As for the pop, are you sure it's the CV or hub? Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but It could be your track or sway bar.

Unread 04-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #32
cryptic3

What's the track or sway bar? Can anyone tell me what this is? As I did some investigation at work and it looked a little loose

forumrunner_20130422_165124.jpg
cryptic3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #33
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

That is the lower control arm.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #34
cryptic3

Thank you!!!!! Life safer. How do I fix the lower control arm... As it looks like its going to fall off do I need jack stands?
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #35
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

what do you mean it looks like it's gonna fall off? is it loose? wiggles? details man, details.
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #36
cryptic3

It wiggles but not much could move it like a centimeter. Sorry....
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #37
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Does the bushing look damaged at all, cracking, crumbling, missing?

To replace the control arm you'll need a jack, stands, torque wrench, etc. You might be able to do it lifting only one side up, but I would think it near impossible to get the arm off and the new one in. You really need to get the fornt wheels off the ground and then support the axle.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:05 PM   #38
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

If you can wiggle that control arm easily, I would say the bushings are shot...Replace them, or the whole control arm...I think a replacement control arm is around $50-$60.... bushings might be cheaper yet...
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #39
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

Control arm replacement is easy, and you can do it without lifting the vehicle off the ground, but having it on a jack stand and the tire off makes the job easier. If you do replace them yourself, you will need an alignment done after to correct the caster.
chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #40
cryptic3

I tightened the the bolt twice but it jeeps getting loose and I hear the rattling so I guess I might have to replace the control arm. However I'm not sure where to put the jack stand, how much an alignment caster will cost on average?
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #41
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

And I would suggest replacing the entire arm as opposed to just the bushings. I'm doing this soon - I've ordered some arms and am waiting for them to arrive. I've never swapped them on my ZJ, but I helped a friend replace just the bushings once - and it is a royal PITA. You can buy OEM style arms at A1 (an entire set of 8 for around $200). Otherwise, I think Rock Auto has decent prices on stock arms as well.

And of course, there's always Kolak - who gives good advice and prices.
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #42
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Careful, the 1aauto CA's i got didn't fit on the rear. Great for the front though.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #43
cryptic3

[QUOTE="capcyclone;15344685"]And I would suggest replacing the entire arm as opposed to just the bushings. I'm doing this soon - I've ordered some arms and am waiting for them to arrive. I've never swapped them on my ZJ, but I helped a friend replace just the bushings once - and it is a royal PITA. You can buy OEM style arms at A1 (an entire set of 8 for around $200). Otherwise, I think Rock Auto has decent prices on stock arms as well.

And of course, there's always Kolak - who gives good advice and prices.[/QUOTE

I don't think I don't need a step by step guide (I don't think) but where would I put the jack stand as I feel I would damage the drive shaft
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #44
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Here's a quick pick of a jack point that should work for you.
jackpoint2.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.