cv driveshaft boot torn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > cv driveshaft boot torn

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-24-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

cv driveshaft boot torn

I tore my left front cv driveshaft boot this weekend wheelin'. How hard is that to change out ? Can I do it with basic mechanics tools or should I just take it somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

Kevinz Radiator support and shackles, Tom Woods driveshafts, OME SD-40 steering stabilizer, Cobra CB and PA, Bilstein Shocks, 35" BFG MUD TA KM2's, FM50, Surco Roof Rack, IRO Heavy Duty Steering and more to come soon!!
thunderchooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
JEEPTECHNICIAN

you will need a floor jack, 13mm 12 point socket, 13 mm wrench, a good hammer and a ratchet and a breaker bar. take the wheel off and then the brake caliper then the rotor and then take the three bolts that hold the hub bearing in, out. Take a hammer and knock the bearing and axle out together. You do not have to take the axle nut off or seperate the axle from the hub to do a cv boot. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JEEPTECHNICIAN; 06-24-2003 at 05:52 PM..
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2003, 07:07 PM   #3
Stocker

Jeeptech, that's great info - sure wish we were both members here last year when I paid to have this done. I was led to believe it was too difficult for me to do.
Unread 06-24-2003, 07:23 PM   #4
JEEPTECHNICIAN

anytime
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:16 PM   #5
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

Stocker,

How much was it to have it done?
Kevinz Radiator support and shackles, Tom Woods driveshafts, OME SD-40 steering stabilizer, Cobra CB and PA, Bilstein Shocks, 35" BFG MUD TA KM2's, FM50, Surco Roof Rack, IRO Heavy Duty Steering and more to come soon!!
Unread 06-24-2003, 08:18 PM   #6
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

Thanks alot Jeeptech,

I think I will attempt to do this repair tomorrow morning!! I appreciate the info. I'll let you know how it goes.
Unread 06-25-2003, 07:54 AM   #7
Stocker

Quote:
Originally posted by thunderchooch
Stocker, How much was it to have it done?
A bit over $200 for both sides.
Unread 06-25-2003, 10:06 AM   #8
automan25

Replacing the whole CV shaft, and not just the boot is even easier. A remanufactured shaft runs just under $100 bucks. So for the cost of paying someone to replace just the boot, you get a fresh new shaft by doing it yourself.
Unread 06-25-2003, 02:43 PM   #9
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for all the info on this subject, I think tonight I will just try to do the boot and if that proves to be too much then I will just go out and buy a new shaft and install that.
Unread 06-25-2003, 06:45 PM   #10
Stocker

Forgot to mention, and you may know this already; new boots were ~$10 each.
Unread 06-25-2003, 08:33 PM   #11
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

I am doing this on my 1994 ZJ. Is it the same? I was told I had to take off the big-*** 1 1/2" hub-nut. I don't have to?

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2003, 10:50 AM   #12
anthonyh75

I did both of mine not long ago. The hub and berring are basicly pressed on. You have to beat them pretty good to get them off. I had to on mine anyway. It would be hard to mess it up just be careful not to hit the berring or studs. You still have to take the large center bolt out. Also make sure you repack the berring with fresh lube. I took mine and cleaned it first. Has anyone had a prob. with lube leaking out after changing the boots. I have noticed some and the clamps that hold the boot on are tight still. I have been told its normal but would like to hear from someone else. The whole job is pretty easy.
Unread 06-26-2003, 02:49 PM   #13
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

I just changed my boot last night , it was pretty easy. I had to run to the store and buy 11/2" socket and a big 3/4 inch ratchet to get the hub nut off. That is a big ratchet by the way. It took about 2 hours alltogether I also had the Chiltons boot too. You also have to have a set of 12 point wrenches $5.00 from auto zone and a CV Boot clamp pliers also 5 dollars from auto zone. I am glad I didn't pay someone else to do it. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.