CV boots - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CV boots

Official Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair

Unread 03-13-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
ILoveto4x4inNC

CV boots

Do ZJs normally go thru a lot CV boots or is there a problem with mine? I'm gonna need to replace my boots again shortly, this will make the 3rd set in a year. Is this normal? At this rate I'm tempted to switch over to u joints. Is that a viable option? Please help as this is getting frustrating.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 05:01 PM   #2
Stocker

sounds fishy...

Just had the OEM cv boots replaced on my '95 ZJ; they lasted 8 years. Got ones from NAPA put on, & they darn well last more than a few months! Yours should definitely last longer. Where are you getting them? You may want to try OEM boots next time. If mine wear out soon that's what I will be doing.

One reason they wear out (IMO) is they flex a lot, and with a ZJ's very tight turning radius, they flex A LOT! BTW, this is also why I don't think you could or should try to use u-joints instead. The angle is simply too great to allow their use.
Unread 03-13-2003, 07:26 PM   #3
ILoveto4x4inNC

These are ones that the dealer put on.

'98 ZJ with 5.2L
Stock except for Optima red top
bigger tires(30x9.50 15 BFG MTs)
Rancho RS5000 shocks
swapped in NV231
and Pioneer CD deck.

White Jeep Club member #14
ILoveto4x4inNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.