CV Boot Replacement in 30 mins - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > CV Boot Replacement in 30 mins

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-22-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
marbleman
2004 KJ Liberty 

CV Boot Replacement in 30 mins

Hi Guys,
If you have a split cv boot on the half-shaft and the joint is ok it can be changed easily using only a 13mm an 8mm socket and a hammer.

Take off the wheel, caliper, disc and Abs sensor on the back of the hub unit. Undo and remove 3 bolts securing hub unit and withdraw half-shaft and hub as one assembly.

Lay the assembly out with the shaft supported in line from the cv joint and remove old boot clips and torn boot. Place a piece of wood across the shaft and against the cv joint and wack with a hammer. ( you may need to stand on the shaft to hold it still so protect the splines.) Turn shaft and repeat till cv and hub unit are free from shaft.

Clean all old grease etc. from shaft and cv joint. Slide new small clip onto shaft, (a tight fit over the stop ring but can be done carefully) fit new boot onto shaft, ( I poured boiling water over small end of boot to soften) then ease over stop ring with small screwdriver as a lever. Crimp clip.

Fill cv joint and boot with new grease then place hub unit/cv on floor supported on 2 blocks of wood, refit shaft making sure to line up the splines and wack home with hammer and wooden block. (for protection of diff splines) Remember to fit large clip onto boot before wacking shaft home!

Grease diff splines and oil seal area (shows as shiny section next to splines) replace assembly into axle tube carefully supporting shaft back into diff and tap home. Replace all bolts, abs sensor, brake disc, caliper and wheel.

Job done

marbleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 04:51 AM   #2
craddock01
1996 ZJ 

Or you can spend 50 bucks at Rockauto.com for a new axle if you have any kind of serious mileage on that CV joint. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
craddock01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:06 AM   #3
marbleman
2004 KJ Liberty 

Granted, only useful with a known good cv but with the price of parts here in the UK it all helps. ( 60 just for a boot kit ) Had to get one Friday late afternoon at short notice. Main Stealer just up the road was the only place.
marbleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
oldfamilyguy

makes you wonder why own a jeep in the UK, but then again there was a time when my daily driver, even through winter, was an Austin Healy (and I wish I still had it)
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
jimjam515

60 for a CV boot kit!! I paid under a tenner from Car & Truck motor factors and it was off the shelf.
jimjam515 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.