Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

cv boot replacement

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Meerkat 
#1 ·
i am going to be installing my bb lift from kevins this weekend, and while doing so i am probably going to replace the torn cv boot on my drivers side front at the same time.

my question is what all do i need to replace on my cv? the whole thing is probably bad since it pops when turning left or right.

#5 ·
If you hear it, don't bother to reboot. I have done both and rebooting is more work and has a chance to get rust inside the boot if you don't get all the rust off the shaft. I've changed the shafts on my jeep enough to know I would rather do something else :drool: .

#6 ·
less than 100 for the entire CV shaft sounds OK, how difficult is it? i have never replaced one before. what about switching to u-joints? is that better? more difficult?

thanks

#7 ·
Switching to U-Joints is no more difficult. Just more money.
When I catch the torn boots early enough on my customers vehicles. I just replace and regrease the assembly. New boot kit from NAPA is only $14 and about 1 hr labor.
If its clicking.. just install a reman. As stated above.

#8 ·
briang97603 said:
less than 100 for the entire CV shaft sounds OK, how difficult is it? i have never replaced one before. what about switching to u-joints? is that better? more difficult?

thanks
Switching to U-joints entails locating a 96 or newer Cherokee front end (95 or older if you don't have ABS), and installing the driveshaft, diff, axles, etc on your Grand. It is not an uncommon mod, and there is a write up about how to do it on NAGCA.
U-joints are generally considered stronger than CV joints, but this is not entirely accurate. They aren't any stronger, but are more impervious to the elements (meaning they tolerate abuse and neglect better). CV joints are much more flexible throughout their range of motion than U-joints are, with less binding at extreme angles, but damage to the protective boot will shorten the life of the CV joint radically.

HTH :thumbsup:

#9 ·
ok so what do i need a new boot kit or an entire assembly? should i do both sides at the same time?

#10 ·
briang97603 said:
<snip>

my question is what all do i need to replace on my cv? the whole thing is probably bad since it pops when turning left or right.
It sounds like you need to replace the entire assembly. You will want to inspect the other side for splits and brittleness. If the rubber boot feels soft and flexible with no holes there is no need to replace it.

:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.