Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CV Boot/Joint replacement

15K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  jeepjeepster 
#1 ·
Well here is another repair question...

I recently noticed that on of my CV boots is ripped, so now I have to replace the CV joint as its probably damaged.

My question is, is this something I could replace myself(mediocre knowledge and just regular tools ect.) or is this something I should hand off to a mechanic? Any help would be great. Thanks

-Pete

#3 ·
If you search, you'll find that most hubs can't just be pulled out of the knuckle. At the shop we have very sharp chisels that we use around the hub. The lip is short so you can't drive the chisel in too far. Just work it around the hub and you'll see it start to move out. Once out a ways, we use a metal wedge to get it all the way out. There are other avenues, but this seems to be the best for all the axles we've removed.

#4 ·
Replacing the shafts are not that bad, like previously mentioned read through the thread posted and make sure you have the tools mentioned, otherwise basic hand tools are really all you need. After you do the first one they become easier, I have now replaced three between my GC and my dad's GC. The only challenge I really had was getting the axel nut loose without the tire on, I had someone hold the breaks and I was able, with a breaker bar, break the nut a loose.

Reactions: Eugnton
#10 ·
.. Yes appears to be wrong forum. But Past that .. Check around & I've found the complete axles for my ZJ For about 65.00 each exc. Too me this is a better deal. Simply replace the complete axle & Now I have a warranty. If I just replaced the boot i'd spend all the labor .. More while I cleaned up the joints but then If anything goes south I have no recall .. & Too me replacing the axles is a maintenance item & gone away for about 5 years.

#13 ·
Open the hub bolts a few turns, place a socket & short extension on the hub bolt, rotate steering wheel so that the extension touches inner c/ end of axle tube. Thus presses out the hub doing no damage.

It's easier if you have a helper rotate steering wheel while you hold the extension so it touches the right spot.

#15 ·
Ive used the extension method before and it does work pretty good. Had to do it by myself, which wasnt fun. I ended up having to start the Jeep and slightly bump it a few times till it popped off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.