Cutlass Death Wobble UPDATE! READ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cutlass Death Wobble UPDATE! READ

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 07-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #1
Cutlass
1994 ZJ 

Cutlass Death Wobble UPDATE! READ

Okay well some may know i have been fighting death wobble for 3 months now!

I have researched it to no end, my fathers a mechanic and we cannot fix this problem...

I have replaced:

Tie rod
TRE's
Track Bar
Upper/lower ball joints
Wheel Hub Assembly
All new lower control arm bushings
Tires dynamically balanced and rotated
Front end alignment (1/8th Toe-in 5* caster)
and put on a $90 steering stabalizer to mask it somewhat but if anything made it worse (MOOG SUPER TRAIL BOSS)

I HAVE NO IDEA WHATS LEFT!!!!!!!!!! Iam contemplating selling the damn things thats how frustrating its been.

Built Not Bought #520
Cutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Upper control arm bushings?
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #3
Cutlass
1994 ZJ 

nop have not done the uppers cant see why that would cause any front end issues as the uppers arent really known for that but who knows. i just cant see dumping more money into this thing and not fixing it...GRRRRRRR
Built Not Bought #520
Unread 07-15-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
johnridesjeeps
1996 ZJ 

Yea,that's pretty much the only thing you didn't mention, hah. When those other items were replaced, were the round bolt holes messed up to more of an oval shape? Just thinking even tho stuff is new, maybe there's still some slop. You try the obvious of some one turning the wheel back and forth while someone is under the front end looking for any time of play?
johnridesjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #5
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

My 98 developed this bad months after the lift, then I put street tires in it and it started doing in everytime I got to 35, even on gravel. I took it to the alignment shop and it hasn't done it since. The very large Chevy dealer in Fargo aligned my dmax 3 times telling me everything is perfect until I personaly showed them that my rears where an inch closer in the front than the rear, with a tape measure, then they said yea your right your axle tube is bent. Try another alignment shop, by the way my grand has over200000 on it with all stock bushings.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Well upper bushings are often a cause.
motor mounts cause a similar experience.
Rear bushings can cause it.
bad tires can cause it.
Bad steering box

You've really only scratched the surface.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 12:12 AM   #7
CherokeeGT
1998 TJ Wrangler 

check your front u joints! your runnin out of parts up front hehe
CherokeeGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #8
mudruna
1994 ZJ 

mine is still doing this too, been chasing my tail for the past few months. I think my next thing to check is the steering box, it is the only place I get any play. I might also change the front upper bushings, they looked fine when I changed the UCA's but again they are the only bushiungs I haven't changed.
Unread 07-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
Cutlass
1994 ZJ 

steering box is good, i got my tires balanced and rotate them frequently they are not bad enough to cause my issue. motor mounts wouldnt cause my death wobble... if it was motor mounts it would stop after braking slightly and they woulkd have to be so lose to actually casue any issue and what rear bushings are you talking about?
Built Not Bought #520
Unread 07-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
NapsterZJ
1995 ZJ 

I'd definitely get the upper control arm bushings replaced. I've seen people replace these bushings and have had their DW disappear because the bushing was so FUBAR'd.

my .02 cents...

DD - Stock 99 WJ 4.7 QD with flo 40
NapsterZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
steering box is good, i got my tires balanced and rotate them frequently they are not bad enough to cause my issue. motor mounts wouldnt cause my death wobble... if it was motor mounts it would stop after braking slightly and they woulkd have to be so lose to actually casue any issue and what rear bushings are you talking about?
Rear upper and lower CA bushings - Rear track bar bushings... Might check sway bushings while you're under there.

Jack up the rear - Use a crow bar to gently pry the CA's & track bar at the bushings. If they move in a way they're not supposed too, you got bad bushings.

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Cutlass
1994 ZJ 

alright il definately look into the uppers il drop em down tomorrow and see whats up. its just annoying throwing money at "maybe's". i think doing the uppers will be the last thing i replace or else il scrap it and start over, its getting to the point were its not worth my time and struggles when grands are so common...but i do love mine haha
Built Not Bought #520
Unread 07-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Cutlass
1994 ZJ 

oh and i looked under my truck today after getting it algined yesterday...well since i marked the cam bolt on the control arm with a maker i looked and saw it was in the same spot so the shop didnt touch my caster...fml... exact reason why i do all the work on my jeep..... so i brought back and showed the guy and told him he needs to set it and tht my steering wheel was not straight either... got it back and i havent gotten any issues yet we shall see
Built Not Bought #520
Unread 07-17-2011, 05:15 AM   #14
mudruna
1994 ZJ 

He may not have moved the cam because when he put it on the machine it showed that it was in spec, maybe you got it right. The steering wheel not being straight is a big no no for any "good" alignment tech though.
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:33 AM   #15
markt800
1995 ZJ 

hi i'm new here but have cured the worst DW anyone has ever seen. i changed everything i mean everything and had so much smoke blown up my A$$ i'm farting rings for life. the worst thing i did was buying "kevins track bar DW cure" what a joke. he sends you the softest bushings on the market and then charges almost fifty bucks for harder ones. anyhow i'm done talking about my poor investments let me tell you what fixed my DW 100% CURRIE 1 TON STEERING its not cheap but i promise its your problem. please don't put any more money into this problem until you get this steering.
markt800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.