Cruise no workie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cruise no workie

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Cruise no workie

When I press the on/off switch, the cruise light on the dash does not come on, & I can't engage cruise. The light does work, it comes on at start up. I'm not getting any error codes, and I tried swapping switches with junkyard parts, but that didn't work. the fuse is good, does this sound like a servo problem?

MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

I had a similar problem with mine. Started out that cruise would cut out randomly then stopped working altogether. Turned out to be a bad brakelight switch. The contacts for the cruise control are separate from the ones for the brake lights so your lights can work fine while the cruise thinks you are hitting the brakes all the time. Took the switch apart and found the issue, tried to fix the switch but ended up just buying a new one. Mine is a 93 so YMMV. Also I see you replaces switches but I took that as the on/off switch, if you already checked the brake switch never mind.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Verify switches and clock spring... Measure resistance between clock spring connector Pins #1 and #2 with switches in positions shown in table below...
  1. First disconnect the negative battery cable, wait a few minutes for circuits to discharge
  2. Remove steering column lower shroud cover
  3. Remove the clock spring connector (white)
  4. Check cruise switch operation with an ohmmeter between Clockspring side Pin#1 (PK) and Pin#2 (BK/LB).

KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Thanks! Yeah, I meant the on/off switch. Would this prevent the cruise light on the instrument cluster from lighting up?
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

I have a niner like yours. Mine was a dirty contact in the switch. This is what fixed it for me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foundrydude View Post
Spray behind all the cruise switches with electrical contact cleaner, then work the heck out of em. Repeat two or three times. Allow to dry for several hours before powering up.
If you don't think that's it, break out the multimeter and start trouble shooting

On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN59ZJ View Post
I meant the on/off switch. Would this prevent the cruise light on the instrument cluster from lighting up?
PCM reads the switch, then toggles the lamp.

Not a simple ON/OFF switch. Uses resistor multiplexing where each value has a different meaning to the PCM.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ
Verify switches and clock spring... Measure resistance between clock spring connector Pins #1 and #2 with switches in positions shown in table below...

[*]First disconnect the negative battery cable, wait a few minutes for circuits to discharge[*]Remove steering column lower shroud cover[*]Remove the clock spring connector (white)[*]Check cruise switch operation with an ohmmeter between Clockspring side Pin#1 (PK) and Pin#2 (BK/LB).

That looks like fun.
Unread 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

mine ended up being a broken vaccum line to the servo. replaced it and its been working ever since
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
mine ended up being a broken vaccum line to the servo. replaced it and its been working ever since
A broken vacuum line wouldn't show up as a problem to the PCM (it has no idea if the servo is getting vacuum or not), so you'd still get the cruise light on the dash. No cruise light means an electrical problem.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

theres no cruise light that comes on on my ZJ

EDIT: just realized he has a 98, i have a 95. probably different
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Yep the earlier ones don't have any light the later ones do.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjosh93 View Post
Yep the earlier ones don't have any light the later ones do.
gotcha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.