Cruise control not setting.. - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Shane7
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 72
Cruise control not setting..

Just replaced the clock spring in my ZJ 2day and the cruise light comes on like it should again but it doesn't set. Whats the issue? Is it a fuse?

Shane7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 PM
ratmonkey
R.I.P.
 
ratmonkey's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,793
either brake switch, throttle position sensor, or vacuum leak are the most likely problems.

'97 zj 5.2, some stuff, some other suff, and some things that even work sometimes.

ratmonkey is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Shane7
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
either brake switch, throttle position sensor, or vacuum leak are the most likely problems.
definetly not a vacuum leak, I checked all the seals. Any other suggestrions?
Shane7 is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 3,617
As ratmonkey says, brake switch or TPS. To which I would add, faulty cruise servo or even PCM issues.

As well as checking for vacuum leaks, did you ensure that there's definitely enough vacuum at the servo? I think the minimum level is 9 mm/Hg, but you'd have to check the 1998 FSM to be sure.
AVR2 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 AM
KoreaZJ
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GANGNAM STYLE
Posts: 2,666
Reseat brake lamp switch connector.

Brake lamp switch might be out of adjustment...
  1. Push/hold brake pedal down.
  2. Pull switch plunger all the way out. (pulls hard and makes ratcheting type sound when it comes out)
  3. Release brake pedal. (should rest against the switch plunger)
  4. Pull brake pedal fully rearward firmly to reset switch position. (makes ratcheting sound when it goes in)
(Brake lamp switch has three separate circuit contacts. Just because the brake lamps work doesn't mean the cruise switch contacts are working)


Brake lamp switch might be bad. Unplug the connector, test the switch continuity between Pins #3 and #4 with meter while actuating the switch.




Cruise switches may not all be working properly. Measure resistance between clock spring connector Pins #1 and #2






Servo testing...

KoreaZJ is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 02-25-2013, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Shane7
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoreaZJ View Post
Reseat brake lamp switch connector.

Brake lamp switch might be out of adjustment...
  1. Push/hold brake pedal down.
  2. Pull switch plunger all the way out. (pulls hard and makes ratcheting type sound when it comes out)
  3. Release brake pedal. (should rest against the switch plunger)
  4. Pull brake pedal fully rearward firmly to reset switch position. (makes ratcheting sound when it goes in)
(Brake lamp switch has three separate circuit contacts. Just because the brake lamps work doesn't mean the cruise switch contacts are working)


Brake lamp switch might be bad. Unplug the connector, test the switch continuity between Pins #3 and #4 with meter while actuating the switch.




Cruise switches may not all be working properly. Measure resistance between clock spring connector Pins #1 and #2






Servo testing...



Hm, it now makes sense to me why it would be the switch. I tried thisand still had no luck, so now it leads me to believe I need a new one all together. thanks!
Shane7 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Shane7
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 72
Well I tired both resetting and replacing the brake light switch and still no luck. /: I really don't think it could be a vacuum leak but if it is, where should I look and how can I fix it?
Shane7 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss
Posts: 19,314
Cruise control thingy is on the passenger side above the fuse box. The plastic hose from it may be broken somewhere.

(edit)I see you have the 4.0. Well here is a useless picture then.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 5.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Shane7
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Cruise control thingy is on the passenger side above the fuse box. The plastic hose from it may be broken somewhere.

(edit)I see you have the 4.0. Well here is a useless picture then.
Hahah! Yeah, I forgot to mention I had the 4.0. My mistake! Thanks, anyway!
Shane7 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 04-02-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Shane7
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lakewood
Posts: 72
So, for awhile I gave up on this, but I am now kind of curious about it. Still comes on, but refuses to set. I replaced the brake switch and I'd think that if it was a vacuum leak it would throw the check engine light on, am I right?
Shane7 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 PM
KoreaZJ
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: GANGNAM STYLE
Posts: 2,666
Did the resistance measurements for all the switches check out good according to the chart?
KoreaZJ is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 PM
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane7 View Post
I'd think that if it was a vacuum leak it would throw the check engine light on, am I right?
Most vacuum leaks won't cause a CEL.

First thing, measure the vacuum at the cruise servo and confirm that it's within spec. The magic number is in the FSM; for the 1993 ZJ the minimum acceptable vacuum at the cruise servo is 10 inches of mercury. It's probably the same for yours, but maybe not.

If that's OK, then the remaining options are (according to the troubleshooting flowchart in the FSM):

Cruise control throttle cable disconnected
Improper stop lamp and speed control switch adjustment
Faulty electrical circuit
Defective servo
Defective vacuum reservoir
AVR2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome