Cruise control light replacment???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Cruise control light replacment????

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 09-11-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
nate438

Cruise control light replacment????

My cruise control works fine but there is no light on the dash to tell me when it is on. Is there suposed to be one, and if so how do I go about replacing it. I'm guessing it must be burnt out? Or is there something else that would cause this to not light up?

1994 Grand Cherokee

nate438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 08:52 PM   #2
Guumba
1998 ZJ 

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a cruise light... My '93 doesn't have one, or if it does its burnt out too heh. But I am pretty sure there is no cruise light...
Black inside and out.
5.2 Litres of gas guzzling power.
** TOTALED! UGH! **
Guumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #3
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate438
My cruise control works fine but there is no light on the dash to tell me when it is on. Is there suposed to be one, and if so how do I go about replacing it. I'm guessing it must be burnt out? Or is there something else that would cause this to not light up?

1994 Grand Cherokee

It depends on what kind of switch you have.
When you look at your steering wheel, and you see the button to turn on the cruise, reach out and press it. Does it stay pressed in until you press it again (turn it off)? Or is it a momentary contact kind of switch that you can't tell if it is on or off just by looking at it?
If you have the kind that stays in, there is no dash lamp. If you have the momentary contact kind, then there is a lamp on your instrument console. You will have to remove the entire console (not as difficult as it sounds) to replace the bulb.

HTH
Unread 09-12-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
nate438

My switch stays pressed in when you push it so it's sounds like from what you said there is no light. Thanks alot Guys!!!
nate438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

I have had this problem for years now. My cruise light burned out. Also, one of the bulbs behind the speedometer has burned out recently. I can still see the speed, but it is not fully lighted.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get back to those bulbs. Jeep must be using cheap bulbs in the dash. I have never had dash related bulbs burn out in four to five years on any other vehicle.

Kent
kentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 11:17 AM   #6
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentman
I have had this problem for years now. My cruise light burned out. Also, one of the bulbs behind the speedometer has burned out recently. I can still see the speed, but it is not fully lighted.

Now, I just have to figure out how to get back to those bulbs. Jeep must be using cheap bulbs in the dash. I have never had dash related bulbs burn out in four to five years on any other vehicle.

Kent

I don't know what year you have, but removal of the instrument cluster isn't overly difficult. You just snap off the trim pieces, remove four (I think) screws, then pull the entire cluster out. It plugs into a single socket at the bottom so there are no wires to mess with. It is quite modular. The bulbs are held in by those little "twist to lock" sockets. There are two different kinds of bulbs used, as well. The information lamps, such as cruise control, seat belts, etc all use a tiny little bulb (type 74) and the regular ones (type 194) illuminate the gauges.

HTH

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.