Crossmember/TC Lowering - Why? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Crossmember/TC Lowering - Why?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 09-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanf77 View Post
Update: I installed the Cross-Member Lowering Kit that came with the lift kit and it helped some... But, at about 35mph the vibration starts and it's still pretty bad! It goes away for the most part when I let off the throttle... I have the Rear Drive Shaft out now and am going to install new U-Joints to see if that fixes it but I am doubtful that it will as they feel pretty tight... I'll update again once the U-Joints are in in a couple days...
You need adj control arms to set your pinion angles. Take the drop off.

PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

So, I finally got the U-Joints done and guess what.... Still have the Vibration! What should my next step be? Should I buy Adjustable control arms and try that or should I go with a Slip Yoke Eliminator... I believe the Control Arms will be lexx expensive and easier to install... Any thoughts? Thanks again...
ryanf77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #18
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Take the transfer case drop out, use adjustable control arms to set pinion angle.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

which front drive shaft do you have? CV style or u-joints?

i have ~3" of lift on my 93. no t-case drop. no vibes. i have no CVs, all u-joints
1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
ElCaminoManT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #20
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Take the transfer case drop out, use adjustable control arms to set pinion angle.
x2

The driveline on ZJ's is long enough to not need a Tcase drop.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
PHARIS88
1996 ZJ 

I have a 4" lift on my 96 ZJ and with NO transfer case drop, which is unnecessary, you DEFINITELY need ADJUSTABLE control arms for the front and back though, that will solve your vibrations. I'm very sure of it. WHITEOUT is actually the one who helped me out a while back. Thanks BTW.

www.youtube.com/pharis88

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1...hread-1507279/
PHARIS88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #22
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
which front drive shaft do you have? CV style or u-joints?

i have ~3" of lift on my 93. no t-case drop. no vibes. i have no CVs, all u-joints
i jinxed myself. i swapped out the front and rear poly bushed procomp lowers tonight in favor of some RC units with the clevite bushings. the rears are at least 1" if not close to 2" longer than the procomp units which turned my rear pinion angle to ****. 30mph and up its nearly undrivable it vibrates so bad. with the procomp arms, the pinion pointed in nearly the same angle as the driveshaft and actually caused the driveshaft to be pushed into the t-case all the way. with the RC arms, there is quite a bit of slip yoke visible and im concerned that if i try to correct it with adjustable uppers, my driveshaft will be pulled out even further and possibly fall out when the suspension is compressed.

im almost certain that you have the same issue since you are running the 3.5" kit which has the same lowers as i bought. i have an email into mitch in the technical dept at RC for suggestions. have a feeling im going to be looking at adjustable lowers instead....
1993 Jeep ZJ Laredo 4.0L/42RE 242 4x4. 3" springs. Front and rear RC tubular lowers. Rusty's adjustable rear uppers. RE double-sheer front track bar. JKS adjustable rear track bar. Bilstein 5100s. 31" Falken Rocky Mountain A/T. 15" Eagle wheels. V8 steering linkage.
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #23
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCaminoManT View Post
i jinxed myself. i swapped out the front and rear poly bushed procomp lowers tonight in favor of some RC units with the clevite bushings. the rears are at least 1" if not close to 2" longer than the procomp units which turned my rear pinion angle to ****. 30mph and up its nearly undrivable it vibrates so bad. with the procomp arms, the pinion pointed in nearly the same angle as the driveshaft and actually caused the driveshaft to be pushed into the t-case all the way. with the RC arms, there is quite a bit of slip yoke visible and im concerned that if i try to correct it with adjustable uppers, my driveshaft will be pulled out even further and possibly fall out when the suspension is compressed.

im almost certain that you have the same issue since you are running the 3.5" kit which has the same lowers as i bought. i have an email into mitch in the technical dept at RC for suggestions. have a feeling im going to be looking at adjustable lowers instead....
Pinion should NOT be pointed inline with the driveshaft on a 2 joint driveshaft. The pinion should match the same angle as the transfer case output shaft

And the slip yoke is good to about 6" of lift.....
Unread 10-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #24
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
Pinion should NOT be pointed inline with the driveshaft on a 2 joint driveshaft. The pinion should match the same angle as the transfer case output shaft

And the slip yoke is good to about 6" of lift.....
trust me, i know the pinion shouldnt point inline with the shaft but for whatever reason, it worked fine with that setup. 70+ on the freeways no problem. now with the current angles, not working! im going to drop the t-case an inch or so to see what it does, not holding my breath tho.

when building my brothers s10 jimmy with a dana 30 swap, we did a flip kit in the rear and had to set the pinion angle the same as the t-case output
Unread 10-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Weird. My old ZJ was around 4.5-5" and I didn't have vibes. I had all adj control arms though.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2013, 12:40 AM   #26
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

put the rear lower procomp arms back in, all vibes gone. looks like ill be looking for some adjustable uppers now.

sorry for the thread jack OP, but im certain the source of your vibes is the rear axle pinion angle. get some adjustable rear upper arms so you can dial in the pinion angle and the vibes will be gone and there will be no need for the t-case drop = more ground clearance
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
ryanf77
1996 ZJ 

Thanks again for all the response Guys... El Camino Man, please let me know what they (RC) say as well once they respond back. I really appreciate it... Ryan
ryanf77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #28
ElCaminoManT
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanf77 View Post
Thanks again for all the response Guys... El Camino Man, please let me know what they (RC) say as well once they respond back. I really appreciate it... Ryan
...gotta get adjustable uppers for the rear
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #29
Pier1308
1995 ZJ 

I have a 95 zj. Did a 4" suspension lift from zone offroad. Didnt do the transfer case drop. No vibrations at all. My zj has u joints already. Very pleased with it... but i did just snap the shifter linkage when putting it into 4low. Hopefully that was just an age related snap..
Pier1308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.