Create Your Own Transfer Case Linkage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Create Your Own Transfer Case Linkage

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Create Your Own Transfer Case Linkage

So I guess this will be my first real right-up I have do that will HOPEFULLY provide some helpful info to everyone out there that has had enough with the complicated stock linkage or who has modified their drive line.

Parts List: Will update as I go if needed

2 - 7/16" Ball joint rod ends - McMaster-Carr P/N# 60645K351

2 - 7/16" nuts - Hardware store of choice

2 - 7/16" x 1.5" bolts - Hardware store of choice

1 - 7/16" Threaded rod - Hardware store of choice

1 - Modified Np242 Shift Plate - Pictures VVVVVVV

1 - Extended Shift lever - Pictures VVVVVVV

I'm taking the idea from this guys site http://www.bsfab.net/?p=26
Kudos to him for taking charge haha. Hopefully it works in our ZJ's and other models as well.

Literally Built
harwood909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

I had to weld the hole up and drill a new one much lower and slightly offset from the original location. To be honest I just guessed where i wanted it to go and it happened to land in the right spot. Here is a drawing with the actual measurements of everything.

The actual shift plate

I then had to lengthen the actual shift lever that's connected to the handle sitting inside the jeep.

Stock vs. Homemade

Showing length and holes drilled

A nice rosette weld holds it firm (REMEMBER: mark the relation of the plate to the "this hole"

Readying the interior parts....

I removed the entire assembly from the jeep just so i could take everything to the bench and handle it easier

Remove the snap ring and keep it in a safe place

Also save these bushings. One on each side. They are usually stuck on pretty good, as you can see one of them cracked on me, still usable though.

Slide one bushing on, drop that big spring in the "cup" and slide it the rest of the way through, another bushing and finish it with the snap ring

Showing the order of everything put together, not to hard to figure out

...............^ That piece goes on top of ^ that piece

Put the spring in its respective hole and tighten down the four screws to hold everything in place. Install the center console and move to under the jeep for the technical stuff

Moving onto the final step... linkage from one to the other

Everything bolted up and ready to slam some gears, well not really slam.

I put the handle into 2wd and the T-case shift plate into 2wd, I chose to measure from the bottom hole on the shifter to the t-case shift plate. Came to a nice round number of 4.25". I cut off a 2" piece of threaded rod and threaded both heim joints on. From there i crawled under the Jeep and bolted one end to the shifter and spun the other out till it reached the t-case shift plate. I bolted both ends up tight and it shifted through every gear with ease! SCORE!

This all took a couple attempts, a lot of guess and check. I found it easiest to just use the original NP242 Shift plate and go from there. You can easily do this in a garage with a welder, grinder, cut off wheel and a drill, no need for fancy equipment, which makes this mod that much better. I hope this gets around the forum and helps a bunch of people out. Shane

Literally Built

Last edited by harwood909; 01-07-2012 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: Nothing goes right the first time, and if it does it's an act of God himself
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I've been wanting to do this for awhile
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Hopefully this pushes you over the "wanting" to stage haha that's all ways my problem, seeing a great idea and saying I wanna do that.... sometime

Literally Built
Unread 01-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Your telling me only ONE person is interested in this?!!

Literally Built
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Apparently lol

Dunno why though because its common to have linkage problems

Wheeling today my linkage fell out of the bushing on the body side, pita but got it back in and then it came loose on me.

Definately going to do this here soon, maybe tomorrow
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #7
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Well at least I can say I helped one haha

Literally Built
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

i read about this mod for the xj on the site you linked in the first post awhile back but completely forgot about it

Now ive heard that this does, and some say it doesnt... does this keep the stock shift pattern (2wd forward) or does it flip?

And wod you be able to measure an approx angle that the slot in the linkage (where it bolts on the tc) should be at? Ive got a spare linkage from when i swapped cases, but was just going to copy that on to flat stock and just rotate the slot to the angle i need, then just mill it out

Also, how much did you need to 'clock' the end that goes to the shift handle? And do you need to pull the console to get it out?
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
Wheeling today my linkage fell out of the bushing on the body side, pita but got it back in and then it came loose on me.
Is that what this is doing, eliminating that PITA body "bushing" that the linkage pops out of? I installed the Novak linkage, and it works amazing, if you're going for the same effect, then it's definitely worth it. And for a lot less cash than the Novak stuff...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack12982 View Post
Is that what this is doing, eliminating that PITA body "bushing" that the linkage pops out of? I installed the Novak linkage, and it works amazing, if you're going for the same effect, then it's definitely worth it. And for a lot less cash than the Novak stuff...
I had it pop out two or three times over the summer, replaced both motor and tranny mounts and still had it pop out. Ended up putting a 1/2" piece of delrin under the bushing bracket thing to space it out. That way the linkage would have to move over alot more to fall out. Ended up working from about september to today, and it still popped out. Then later in the day the adjustment with the bolt on the linkage came loose, so it wouldn't shift either.

Guess its not too bad to get little stuff like this you can fix on the trail, but still a PITA
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #11
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
I had it pop out two or three times over the summer, replaced both motor and tranny mounts and still had it pop out. Ended up putting a 1/2" piece of delrin under the bushing bracket thing to space it out. That way the linkage would have to move over alot more to fall out. Ended up working from about september to today, and it still popped out. Then later in the day the adjustment with the bolt on the linkage came loose, so it wouldn't shift either.

Guess its not too bad to get little stuff like this you can fix on the trail, but still a PITA
Haha, when mine popped out for the last time before I said "F-it" was in about 8" of snow, and my TC in neutral.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #12
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
i read about this mod for the xj on the site you linked in the first post awhile back but completely forgot about it

Now ive heard that this does, and some say it doesnt... does this keep the stock shift pattern (2wd forward) or does it flip?

And wod you be able to measure an approx angle that the slot in the linkage (where it bolts on the tc) should be at? Ive got a spare linkage from when i swapped cases, but was just going to copy that on to flat stock and just rotate the slot to the angle i need, then just mill it out

Also, how much did you need to 'clock' the end that goes to the shift handle? And do you need to pull the console to get it out?

This DOES keep your stock shift pattern.

The angle of the slot is the same as stock, i used the stock shift plate and just re drilled a different hole in it. No need to make your own shift plate especially if you have a spare. I can get the exact angle for you tomorrow when i'm back at school if your dead set on making your own.

The shift handle was kept at it's original angle, just lengthened to 4" and holes drilled at 3" and 3 5/8" (that is the one i used). You do need to pull the console and i will take pictures today when i get it all finished off today.

Literally Built
Unread 01-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #13
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

alright its much appreciated. I have the stock linkage from my 249 here, as i took the one from the 242 when i pulled it.
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #14
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Nice work. This is a cheap fix for a big problem we all have. Thank you.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

sweet write up

Tags
cheap , fix , linkage , tranfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.