Well I started this weekend putting on my new 3" lift. It went pretty well, no major issues, took about 6 hrs total to get it done. Looks alot better with new tires and the lift, and drove it to the USAC Sprint finale at Tri State Speedway last night, and it did pretty well going down the road.
This afternoon I went by the firehouse to show my fellow ff's my handy work from yesterday. While talking I noticed a nice puddle of antifreeze showing from under the front of the engine. Looked like a upper hose, no big deal, about $15 bucks new hose, clamp, and some AF. Got the hose on rad filled, and went to start the engine, and it kinda coughed and sputtered for a minute and then smoothed out but the CEL came on....the DREADED CEL
!!! IT then died, and couldn't get it started without holding it to the floor, and then may run a minute, 10 minutes then die??????Argghhhhh the dreaded Jeep issus I thought. After reading many issues with the IAC, I went with that, then went to the TPS, and still no start and run very well at all.
After searching here for about an hour I decided to run the codes and check what was going on. Got 12 & 22 (temp sensor). Well I had changed the upper hose, working around the temp sensor. It all started to make sense, either wire damage or plug damage. Took a look and it was UNPLUGGED, guess I pulled the wire taking off the old spring clamp, never liked those clamps. After a litte work with a long thin screwdriver, it was back in place. And the test...Runs like a CHAMP. Man what a crazy day, pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on, and it was just loose wire. With the temp sensor not reading right, the PCM was having trouble setting the idle speed etc. Makes perfect sense now!!! BTW thanks for a great site with so much info on the old ZJ's, you all are a big help!!!!