Crazy Weekend working on the ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Crazy Weekend working on the ZJ

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
BlaZeJeep
1994 ZJ 

Crazy Weekend working on the ZJ

Well I started this weekend putting on my new 3" lift. It went pretty well, no major issues, took about 6 hrs total to get it done. Looks alot better with new tires and the lift, and drove it to the USAC Sprint finale at Tri State Speedway last night, and it did pretty well going down the road.

This afternoon I went by the firehouse to show my fellow ff's my handy work from yesterday. While talking I noticed a nice puddle of antifreeze showing from under the front of the engine. Looked like a upper hose, no big deal, about $15 bucks new hose, clamp, and some AF. Got the hose on rad filled, and went to start the engine, and it kinda coughed and sputtered for a minute and then smoothed out but the CEL came on....the DREADED CEL!!! IT then died, and couldn't get it started without holding it to the floor, and then may run a minute, 10 minutes then die??????Argghhhhh the dreaded Jeep issus I thought. After reading many issues with the IAC, I went with that, then went to the TPS, and still no start and run very well at all.

After searching here for about an hour I decided to run the codes and check what was going on. Got 12 & 22 (temp sensor). Well I had changed the upper hose, working around the temp sensor. It all started to make sense, either wire damage or plug damage. Took a look and it was UNPLUGGED, guess I pulled the wire taking off the old spring clamp, never liked those clamps. After a litte work with a long thin screwdriver, it was back in place. And the test...Runs like a CHAMP. Man what a crazy day, pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on, and it was just loose wire. With the temp sensor not reading right, the PCM was having trouble setting the idle speed etc. Makes perfect sense now!!! BTW thanks for a great site with so much info on the old ZJ's, you all are a big help!!!!

Bruce

~~~~( o) ) o - - - ( o ) ) o ---) )
BlaZeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

Welcome aboard. It's great you were able to figure out the problem.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.