Crazy vibration at hwy speed - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Crazy vibration at hwy speed

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Well if you want an update from me, i had the dealer change the rear diff with the mopar stuff and additive, and i also got the tires balenced. 2 were out of the balence. Vibration and noise is still there..

I recall a thread on another forums where alot of 5.9's have the same problem, so its probably some defect in these truck's. No one has figured it out yet either. in that thread anyway, however one person suspects its the NP249J transfer case. However if that were the case, then you wouldnt be having the problem with your 242, so i dunno. I suspect the noise i hear also is the pinion bearing

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #17
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

My vibration problem is not with my 5.9, but my Laredo, which has the D35 and is open diff. My 5.9 has never had any vibration problem like this actually, even after swapping transfer cases and doing the lift kit.

I'm thinking I should do my rear wheel bearings for starters and go from there, just really don't have the time or energy right now, lol.

The howling immediately went away after doing the pinion bearings though, pretty cheap and easy enough fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Well if you want an update from me, i had the dealer change the rear diff with the mopar stuff and additive, and i also got the tires balenced. 2 were out of the balence. Vibration and noise is still there..

I recall a thread on another forums where alot of 5.9's have the same problem, so its probably some defect in these truck's. No one has figured it out yet either. in that thread anyway, however one person suspects its the NP249J transfer case. However if that were the case, then you wouldnt be having the problem with your 242, so i dunno. I suspect the noise i hear also is the pinion bearing
Unread 11-21-2010, 09:25 PM   #18
brycherokee87
2008 WK 

yeah i have the same type of problem, after going like 60 mph theres alot of vibration but it seems like its coming right inside the dash board. i was going to post a thread about it asking how to solve the problem.
brycherokee87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #19
Mont
1998 ZJ 

I have the same problem on mine. I did notice that the engine mounts are shot, I will be replacing them on wednesday and see if that will cure it. I think it's comming from the front drive shaft. We'll see
Mont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #20
Eldoradoman
1998 ZJ 

For those of you that have this same problem, mine ended up being the transfer case output bearing, maybe start there. Thanks for all the input everyone, I ended up selling the Laredo though so I can focus on the Niner again.
Unread 07-10-2011, 07:47 PM   #21
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Good one man, my friend whos a mechanic suspected thats what it was also when he checked out my Jeep.. I wish i replaced that bearing when i replaced my viscous coupler lol... Oh well... at least i know how to take the case apart and put it back together so it should be an easy Job. The bearing is only like $25 so maybe i'll do it next week. Apritiate you posting back what it was man.. since your problem is exactly what mine is then its probably my bearing also

Im hoping thats what it is
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.